What is God?

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 06/07/2015 21:23
  • Post subject: What is God?
What does the concept of God (or a god, as the case may be) mean to you? If you are an atheist, then explain what it is you don't believe in.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 06/07/2015 21:25
  • Post subject: Re: What is God?
sp4cetiger wrote:
If you are an atheist, then explain what it is you don't believe in.

^I feel those who aren't atheists are the ones who have something to explain.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 06/07/2015 21:41
  • Post subject:
Some dude up in the sky who is watching what I do and he had a son who he sent down.

I don't really think about it these days though. I would like to think about how I did when I was a child again. I have fond memories about thinking as a child. Everything was just, it is what it is. Like in year 1 they brought this lovely old nun from the convent to come play with us in the classroom. She joined in the games (I don't remember actual "lessons" in year 1) with our teacher and her helper. A few weeks later the teacher sits us down one morning to tell us she died in her sleep. She was in her 80s at the time. I remember just taking it in and I don't remember crying. That day we drew pictures of her in heaven as a tribute for her. I remember using felt tip pens to make a picture of her with wings and two angels with smily faces on all of them. My idea of Heaven was sort how I pictured villa's in Spain in my young mind except the buildings were a tan color and the floor was made of clouds. Ofcouse I couldn't put this all down with my young artistic skills although it was what I was trying to express.

So yeah, I think God to me is just an "it is what it is" type thing. Or maybe I am just trying to think like that, I am not sure and will have to explore my thoughts if I can be bothered Think
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 06/07/2015 21:49
Norman Bates wrote:
^I feel those who aren't atheists are the ones who have something to explain.

Anyone who identifies with a label has something to explain, else that label is meaningless.
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 06/07/2015 21:52
  • Post subject:
Well I'm an atheist now but I grew up in a fundamentalist Christian home, so I used to think of God in those terms. I know for a fact that god does not exist because the first woman was not created from the rib of the first man.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 06/07/2015 21:53
sp4cetiger wrote:
Anyone who identifies with a label has something to explain.

I can agree with the fact that any label is meaningless, but not with this^, no. Partly because people don't necessarily "identify with" a label, they're identified with it by others. I don't have to do anything.
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 06/07/2015 22:01
Norman Bates wrote:
I can agree with the fact that any label is meaningless, but not with this^, no. Partly because people don't necessarily "identify with" a label, they're identified with it by others. I don't have to do anything.

Of course you don't have to explain yourself, but unless you explain the terms of your speech, it may as well be nonsense syllables. You suggested that atheists have nothing to explain, but unless you explain what you mean by an atheist, it's just wind, wouldn't you say?
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 06/07/2015 22:05
  • Post subject:
I'm an atheist, but if there were to be a god I don't think it'd be like most people picture it as. It'd be a being absolutely incomprehensible to us. Not just a "better human" but something so beyond human-ness and even being-ness we couldn't even start to imagine what it is. I mean, to create our system he'd have to be out of it, so not even the laws of logic would apply to him.
  • Visit poster's website
creator

United States

• Posted: 06/07/2015 22:20
  • Post subject:
Defago wrote:
I mean, to create our system he'd have to be out of it, so not even the laws of logic would apply to him.

I think this is a fundamental issue with any creation model. If we assume the standard cosmological model, then what created the Big Bang?
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/07/2015 22:24
  • Post subject:
I'll post something on this topic at some time in the next few hours, let me just compose some thoughts

Last edited by SuedeSwede on 06/08/2015 00:10; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website