What is God?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
leechris

Canada

• Posted: 01/19/2016 02:32
  • Post subject: God
If God is Love, then he/she/it must exist in limited quantities throughout the world. Did not believe in God or love until I met my beautiful wife 12 years ago, and fortunately, she introduced me to both.

I do like The Onion's Book of Known Knowledge which defines Atheist as "the rejection of belief in the existence of God in which one deeply devotes oneself to the nearly nonstop studying, writing, thinking, and talking about God. Upon reaching the philosophical conclusion that God cannot exist, an atheist will dedicate the rest of their life to poring over books about God, fervently arguing with those who believe in God, and meeting with other devout atheists to discuss God or listen to someone lecture passionately and at length about how there is no God. The firmly held belief that there is no God gives atheists a deep sense of purpose and meaning in their lives."

God is defined as "all knowing, all powerful entity responsible for the blooming flowers, the setting sun, the feeling one experiences when sitting down to enjoy a nice toasted tuna sandwich, war, murder, retarded kids, humanity in general, hurricanes, Major Ogilvie's 1980 Sugar Bowl MVP performance, that hilarious joke about three priests on a rapidly sinking boat, plaster, snowfall on a starlit night, fear, Buddhism, the mean-spirited falsetto voice your coworkers use to mock you when you're not around, wheat, love, leukemia, DVDs, the bizarre resentment and devotion that children feel toward their parents, and more then 15 varieties of pie."
  • Visit poster's website
TexasDestroyer

• Posted: 01/26/2016 00:18
  • Post subject:
That information and then some can be found here: http://www.sbc.net/aboutus/basicbeliefs.asp.
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 08/21/2016 10:59
  • Post subject:
Felt like resurrecting (hehe) this thread since I've been listening to some super interesting stuff from post-structuralist pyrotheologian Peter Rollings wherein he lays down four different schools of thought in defining God.

1. God as Superbeing

The greatest conceivable being. All the best qualities a being can have, amplified to maximum levels. Maximally good, maximally powerful, maximally knowledgeable. God as the being most worthy of your love and allegiance. The God of dualism, of law and superego. The favoured definition of evangelicals and new atheists.

2. God as Hyperbeing

The eternal divine mystery. You stumble across the ruins of an ancient temple and among the wreckage you discover a hundred-foot-tall stone foot, presumably broken off from a towering statue long ago. The God of the sublime, that which poets spend lifetimes trying to describe. The mystery which fuels theological discourse, wherein God must be continually named and unnamed.

3. God as Ground Of Being

Not simply synonymous with all existing things, God is to be understood as being itself, which is present and manifest in all beings. The God of the mystic, to be found in breath, in presence, in gratitude.

"In existence man is that finite being who is aware both of his belonging to and separation from the infinite. Therefore existence is estrangement."

4. God as Event

God as an event which cannot be held captive by a confessional faith or a creedal formula. A calling which lays an unconditional claim on the lives of all humans; that which breathes meaning into life. God can in this way be seen as that which prevents us from experiencing the world as a purely material reality, even if we believe it to be so.

“I deny the resurrection of Christ. I deny the resurrection of Christ every time I do not serve at the feet of the oppressed, each day that I turn my back on the poor; I deny the resurrection of Christ when I close my ears to the cries of the downtrodden and lend my support to an unjust and corrupt system.”
  • Visit poster's website
Allabaster

• Posted: 08/21/2016 11:33
  • Post subject:
God is the universe's awareness of itself. It is me. It is you. The extent to which we are separate beings is not so great as is often imagined.
pa
as it happens

Italy

• Posted: 08/22/2016 18:45
  • Post subject:
Allabaster wrote:
God is the universe's awareness of itself. It is me. It is you...

Nice way of saying it
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/27/2016 06:12
  • Post subject:
Allabaster wrote:
God is the universe's awareness of itself. It is me. It is you. The extent to which we are separate beings is not so great as is often imagined.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gr%C3%BC%C3%9F_Gott

Or as they say in Bavaria/Austria: Grüß Gott

I don't really believe it, but it's a beautiful idea.

A drunk Austrian explained it's like saying greet the God within us.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/27/2016 06:52
  • Post subject:
Great concepts Squish.
  • Visit poster's website
jules1

• Posted: 06/04/2017 15:32
  • Post subject:
search ye hi and search ye low , but the kingdom of god is to be found within. - jesus.
before you can ask what is god , better to ask where is god. any questions about what is god , all only relative.
  • Visit poster's website
Muslim-Bigfoot

Location: Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

• Posted: 06/04/2017 19:05
  • Post subject:
God is the most interesting socio-historical concept. The amount you can learn from historians of religion about development of ideas, ideals, worldview, social hierarchy and lifestyle of specific societies in different historical eras is unparalleled. General history books are bullshit though; the ideal title of a history book should be something like this for example: "The Kingdom of Jerusalem and the Frankish East, 1100–1187"
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/21/2018 21:39
  • Post subject:
God where morals come from. Otherwise morality is relative (basic fact).
  • Visit poster's website