What is God?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 06/30/2018 04:50
  • Post subject:
God is whatever you want it to be. All the currently important religions have their own mutually exclusive definitions of God (while, when in a good mood, all claiming that they can coexist) based on their own unfounded and indefensible claims that they all pretend to be objective and absolute rules by which everyone should live.

In the end it is all make-believe and it is astonishing to live in a world where otherwise intelligent people believe in these fairytales. I have sincerely tried to make educated people make the case for God for more than one decade. There are still people who pretend they are, but in the end God does not hold up to scrutiny anymore than Santa Claus does.
  • Visit poster's website
ethancampbell

• Posted: 04/27/2019 07:21
  • Post subject:
The one who created everything. We are so blinded by over ego and knowledge that we purposely deny the existence of GOD but it is of no use afterwards once we die.
TimeLion

• Posted: 04/27/2019 14:03
  • Post subject:
The basic problem with intelligent design is that it leaves you with a more difficult question than you started with. If "God" created the universe, then where did this god come from? And if you say God needs no creator, then why did you feel compelled to invoke a creator for the universe?

We are used to seeing acts of creation carried out by intelligent beings, and the more intelligent the creature, the more complex the creation. So therefore, the universe must have been created by a supremely intelligent being, right? Not necessarily. Nature has many examples of order arising spontaneously from disorder, but such processes usually take place over long periods of time or on very small scales, so people don't experience them firsthand. The most famous example is biological evolution, but many other examples are out there, such as the formation of the solar system or even the formation of a snowflake.

So I don't see the need for a creator, or at least not a supremely intelligent one. I won't deny the possibility that the universe came from some higher-order being's petri dish, but even if it did, I don't feel particularly compelled to worship them.
  • Visit poster's website
BARDAMU

• Posted: 05/18/2019 20:25
  • Post subject:
TimeLion wrote:
The basic problem with intelligent design is that it leaves you with a more difficult question than you started with.

But the question is "what is God?" -- is that necessarily contingent upon the question of intelligent design?
  • Visit poster's website
TimeLion

• Posted: 05/20/2019 13:46
  • Post subject:
BARDAMU wrote:
But the question is "what is God?" -- is that necessarily contingent upon the question of intelligent design?

No, it was a response to the previous poster’s comment, which I should have quoted.
  • Visit poster's website
StefanR10
Music Genius

Germany

• Posted: 07/04/2019 20:14
  • Post subject: Definition
The one who gave us this great music.
  • Visit poster's website
NewsFromHome

• Posted: 08/26/2020 00:41
  • Post subject:
god is soup on a warm summers day
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 08/26/2020 05:32
  • Post subject:
For me, God is a mystery which is all about a personal relationship. The problem with the concept of a man-run church is that it doesn't take into account the idea of a unique and personal relationship with God. This isn't to really say "the law is different for us all," but to say "we all fight our own battles with the Lord's help if we want him to help."
BARDAMU

• Posted: 08/29/2020 19:57
  • Post subject:
Spyglass wrote:
For me, God is a mystery which is all about a personal relationship. The problem with the concept of a man-run church is that it doesn't take into account the idea of a unique and personal relationship with God. This isn't to really say "the law is different for us all," but to say "we all fight our own battles with the Lord's help if we want him to help."

Okay there, Martin Luther
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 08/29/2020 20:11
  • Post subject:
BARDAMU wrote:
Okay there, Martin Luther

Do laugh if you want. I don't expect everyone to want a personal relationship with God.