Pseud0Scorpion UL/R/WL (User Listening/Reading/Watching Log)

View previous topic :: View next topic
Pseud0Scorpion

• Posted: 06/09/2015 18:25
  • Post subject: Pseud0Scorpion UL/R/WL (User Listening/Reading/Watching Log)
Yep. I totally forgot. Sorry guys. Anxious

June 8th

Evening:

Pithecanthropus Erectus by Charles Mingus

I have to be in the right mindset for a Mingus record. Prepared for the flood of new ideas, the beautiful dissonance, and the creative power. This, as usual, was a unique approach to jazz. What I appreciated most about this record was Mingus' sense of balance. It was equally experimental and pleasing to the ear, something I think many experimental musicians miss when putting together a piece. All in all, another impressive piece from Mr. Mingus.

Annie Hall by Woody Allen

I really enjoyed this movie. Equal parts hilarious, sad, and thought provoking, it is the ultimate Woody Allen movie. It tracks a relationship from beginning to end through his perspective, which, although you may not totally agree with it, is an entertaining one. I'm still thinking about it and most likely will for a while, and that to me is what makes a good movie.

Bedtime now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------

June 9th

Morning:

English Graffiti by The Vaccines

Really solid, fun listen, nothing new here, but again, a hell of a lot of fun.

Djangology by Django Reinhardt

This is a total classic for me, the guitar work is freaking amazing, and just the aged sound of everything on this record gets me every time.

See you in the afternoon!

Afternoon:

Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits

Figured I'd refresh my memory on this one, itt's been a few years since I played it all the way through. The Kenny G-esque jazz bit on Your Latest Tricl still annoys me (especially considering the lyrics are amazing), but besides that I still consider this a landmark album in the history of music, and a great listen.

Untrue by Burial

I never really got around to listening this album despite all the acclaim surrounding it. This is my first listen, and I have to admit I was intrigued by it. It definitely creates a strong atmosphere of... something. I'm not quite sure what. It deserves several more listens, and I'm sure I'll find more to say about it in the future. In summary, some great ambient/electronic tunes here.

In A Silent Way by Miles Davis

One of my top Davis records, it showcases the evolution that Davis was undergoing in shifting toward the style that would eventually result in the Bitches Brew sessions. Loose, experimental, yet gripping, In a Silent Way is nothing short of a jazz fusion masterpiece.

Evening:

The Scream by Siouxsie and the Banshees

You can't really pin down a genre to a specific starting point, given that genres are formed with time and several influences. This, though, is widely considered to be the first true post-punk album. After giving it a listen, I tend to agree. All the elements that are here became absolute staples of the genre. The heavy focus on bass, the razor sharp guitar riffs, and the cutting wail of Siousxie's voice. Incredible.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

A chilling study of the ambiance and lifestyle of The Jazz Age, as well as an insight into what could happen to anyone who allows their expectations to surpass reality. An instant classic with a lesson for everyone. Just finished it tonight.

Well that's that, see you all tomorrow!

Last edited by Pseud0Scorpion on 06/10/2015 03:49; edited 8 times in total
Kiki

• Posted: 06/10/2015 00:53
  • Post subject:
Yay Smile Good work here! The first album is wonderful
Pseud0Scorpion

• Posted: 06/10/2015 11:37
  • Post subject:
June 10

Woke up at 5 AM. No idea why.
Alright, I'll edit these in as the day goes on.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment Kiki, appreciate it.

Morning:

Apocalypse, Girl by Jenny Hval

Decent album, not really my thing but I can appreciate that it's masterfully produced and planned out, with the last track being the best example of that. I wasn't quite connecting with Hval's lyricism here, she was definitely using a lot of sexual themes that felt vaguely uncomfortable in context and just didn't quite reach me. Anyway, probably won't be revisiting this, but it was a good listen.

Cool Struttin' by Sonny Clark

Some really upbeat hard bop here, and the band is right in the pocket the whole time. Definitely going on my favorites as far as jazz (Whenever I get around to making a jazz chart). Thoroughly enjoyed this one.

Won't be around for the afternoon, but for the evening I'm planning on tackling that new Jamie xx release and probably a movie. See you then!

Afternoon:

Power was out. Yay for Ecuador's electrical gridwork. Confused

Evening:

I spent most of my evening out, and it's been a long day. After a few margaritas (Yay for Ecuador's drinking age) I really don't have the mental energy for an album. See y'all tomorrow.

Last edited by Pseud0Scorpion on 06/11/2015 03:27; edited 1 time in total
pa
as it happens

Italy

• Posted: 06/10/2015 18:55
  • Post subject: Re: Pseud0Scorpion UL/R/WL (User Listening/Reading/Watching
Pseud0Scorpion wrote:

The Scream by Siouxsie and the Banshees

...The heavy focus on bass, the razor sharp guitar riffs, and the cutting wail of Siousxie's voice. Incredible.

Oh man Siouxsie's voice is amazing, I have the original copy of this record Very Happy
(not my fav tho)

Last edited by pa on 06/11/2015 13:14; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Pseud0Scorpion

• Posted: 06/11/2015 03:35
  • Post subject: Re: Pseud0Scorpion UL/R/WL (User Listening/Reading/Watching
pa wrote:
Oh man Siousxie's voice is amazing, I have the original copy of this record Very Happy
(not my fav tho)

What is your fav? I'll probably shortlist it for listening on my ULL
pa
as it happens

Italy

• Posted: 06/11/2015 13:14
  • Post subject:
I really love this one:

Juju by Siouxsie & The Banshees
  • Visit poster's website
Pseud0Scorpion

• Posted: 06/11/2015 14:03
  • Post subject:
June 11

G'day everyone!

Morning:

Spiritual Unity by The Albert Ayler Trio

Definitely very very avant-garde for it's time period, with some pretty chilling dissonance creating a pretty creepy, uneasy atmosphere. Good stuff.

Tigermilk by Belle & Sebastian
Pseud0Scorpion

• Posted: 06/15/2015 00:02
  • Post subject:
June 13

Last one guys, albeit a bit belated

Ys by Joanna Newton

A personal favorite since I heard it a few months ago. Simply amazing.

One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest by Milos Forman

In view of the hype as well as it's status on several "best ever movies" lists, I was a little underwhelmed. That's not to say it isn't a wonderful, solid, thought-provoking movie. Watch it if you haven't.

Well that'll be all, sorry I couldn't post more, pretty busy week.

Thanks for watching!