Women in Sports

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 06/18/2015 10:58
  • Post subject: Women in Sports
Should women be in the same sports leagues as men?

if so/not.. why?
  • Visit poster's website
zdwyatt

United States

• Posted: 06/18/2015 13:23
  • Post subject:
No. Like many other animals, our species exhibits sexual dimorphism. In our case, this means that men are generally bigger and stronger than women. Although this fact impacts sports performance in a pretty obvious way, you could look to any number of sources to see a quantifiable distinction. Take for example the current Olympic records, which show that there is a very real difference between the athletic ability of men and women. In fact, if you look at the full results for many of those events, even the last place male finisher is still better than the female world record.

As for why this matters, having separate leagues for men and women is fundamentally fairer to women. Beyond a certain age, the best women in a given sport simply will not be competitive against men in that same sport. Having a league for women offers the best female athletes an opportunity to compete.
  • Visit poster's website
Saoirse

• Posted: 06/19/2015 10:46
  • Post subject:
I think for different sports it presents different cases. There's the issue of perhaps a women left tackle trying to make it through an offensive line, then there's a woman who shows she can throw three (or more) excellent pitches at Major-League-Ready velocity and control. In a sport where's there a lot of physical contact I can understand the potential problem of a co-ed league, but even if this sounds ripped from one of those gaudy commercials Im all for a female major league pitcher, if she proves like everybody else she can compete at a major league level her gender shouldn't automatically disqualify her.
bongritsu
电子人 ( cyborg)

Canada

• Posted: 06/19/2015 23:33
  • Post subject:
I doubt most women could cope with the pressure of actual professional sports, Even if they could compete at the same level.

I FEEL DISCRIMINATED AGAINST AS A PERSON OF JUDGEMENT.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
goeie-oko

Netherlands

• Posted: 06/20/2015 15:20
  • Post subject:
bongritsu wrote:
I doubt most women could cope with the pressure of actual professional sports, Even if they could compete at the same level.

Wait, what?
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/20/2015 19:21
  • Post subject:
goeie-oko wrote:
Wait, what?

lol don't humour him!

For the reasons zdwyatt has already pointed out there should obviously be different competitions for men and women for most sports. Definitely those where physicality is important.

The standards are so different in many sports that a lot of mixed sex top competitions would actually be pretty much or completely male only, which wouldn't be cool. Women should be able to look up to other women competing at the olympics and world cups the same way men can and they should be able to aspire to doing those things themselves.

I don't think mixed sex competition would encourage women to do sport, and everyone should do sport because it's great.

Link

Saoirse

• Posted: 06/21/2015 09:03
  • Post subject:
bongritsu wrote:

(slowly closes eyes, takes a deep breath and rubs the top of the nose before responding...

that makes absolutely no sense, that somehow if they can make it through the grind (and the usual media attention that comes with it) of actually making it to the professional life somehow they will automatically falter at the professional level? And again I like how you used the term "actual professional sports", that somehow women professional leagues with a buisness model akin to or just like male-run professional sports and where there are fully compensated atheletes somehow aren't "real" professional sports (despite sports like women's tennis and now UFC/MMA enjoying around the same if not at times more popularity than their male-league counterparts). Oh Im sure you have some response about biological needs hindering them yak yak yak. Go fight Ronda Rousey and say this with the same smug, chauvinistic attitude directly after.

Again as I said im not against seperate leagues for men and women, especially when it comes to a sport with a lot of physical contact or where height/weight is a big factor into how it's all sorted out (I mean since most WNBA centers are barely over 6 feet you can't quite ask them to guard Dwight Howard) ... but there are exceptions, especially when it comes to say the possibility of a woman pitcher who proves she can compete at a Major League level.
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 06/22/2015 22:27
  • Post subject:
My initial reaction is to say that I don't see why not as long as they can compete at the same level. But for the reasons zdwyatt mentioned, there probably would not be very many women able to compete at the same level as men. If there's a 250lb woman with a lot of muscle and great skill, maybe she can be in the NFL. As long as the standards of the sport are not lowered just to allow women to join.

But then I realize that approach is a bit troublesome because then why not let men join women's leagues if they can't compete in the men's league, but are able to play in the women's league simply because they have a physical advantage? That would clearly not apply to every sport, but in something like football that would be far more common.

If we allow both of those things, then maybe you just have several leagues based on ability regardless of your sex. I don't think I'm in favor of this though.

Bonus Question: Would we extend this to boxing? There would be something really weird about watching a man and woman exchange punches for sport.
bongritsu
电子人 ( cyborg)

Canada

• Posted: 06/23/2015 02:17
  • Post subject:
Saoirse wrote:
that makes absolutely no sense, that somehow if they can make it through the grind (and the usual media attention that comes with it) of actually making it to the professional life

well they cant. anything physically demanding is automatically thrown out because dimorphism, this is arguably all sports because even ones that are not considered physical demanding (think chess or curling) are still grueling both physical and mentally when you get into tournament play. Men just cope with that much better. Sure maybe a women could get called up to the a certain pro league if a team goes through a freak string of like 10 injuries on a single position. Will a women ever be on a regular roster of a sports team? not unless that sports team is forced to or they are rent seeking.

Saoirse wrote:
somehow they will automatically falter at the professional level?

The mental strain is too much, women cant detach from criticism as well as men. All them hormones.

Saoirse wrote:
(despite sports like women's tennis and now UFC/MMA enjoying around the same if not at times more popularity than their male-league counterparts).

Those examples are mostly examples because it gets guys rocks off, not because its actually good. Also female MMA will soon be dominated by trans man lol unless dana white is a big enough UHG CISSEXIST SHITLORD to stop it (see fallon fox)

There is space for womens sports though. For example I dont miss a womens curling event during the winter.

For fun watch this, its like hes wrestling his little sister or something. hes hardly putting in an effort.

Link

Saoirse wrote:
Go fight Ronda Rousey and say this with the same smug, chauvinistic attitude directly after.

lol.
wow you're right, I probably would get beat up by someone who has trained all their life to beat people up. You have shook my world view.

Laughing Mr. Green Applause Smile

But actually I think rounda would have difficulty cracking the top 500 MMA fighters in her weightclass. Or she gets turned into a vegetable her first match.

You always have these funny fantasies about me getting beat up when we argue. I just guess thats how the limp wristed have to live.

Saoirse wrote:
but there are exceptions

Name one.

Jasonconfused wrote:
Bonus Question: Would we extend this to boxing? There would be something really weird about watching a man and woman exchange punches for sport.

I dont think it would be much of an exchange. Sadly, im sure there are people who would support men vs women boxing. It would end up killing some poor girl.

HigherThanTheSun wrote:
I don't think mixed sex competition would encourage women to do sport, and everyone should do sport because it's great.

Applause

I FEEL DISCRIMINATED AGAINST AS A PERSON OF JUDGEMENT.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
PineappleUnicorn

• Posted: 06/23/2015 05:43
  • Post subject:
bongritsu wrote:
well they cant. anything physically demanding is automatically thrown out because dimorphism, this is arguably all sports because even ones that are not considered physical demanding (think chess or curling) are still grueling both physical and mentally when you get into tournament play. Men just cope with that much better. Sure maybe a women could get called up to the a certain pro league if a team goes through a freak string of like 10 injuries on a single position. Will a women ever be on a regular roster of a sports team? not unless that sports team is forced to or they are rent seeking.

The mental strain is too much, women cant detach from criticism as well as men. All them hormones.

Those examples are mostly examples because it gets guys rocks off, not because its actually good. Also female MMA will soon be dominated by trans man lol unless dana white is a big enough UHG CISSEXIST SHITLORD to stop it (see fallon fox)

There is space for womens sports though. For example I dont miss a womens curling event during the winter.

For fun watch this, its like hes wrestling his little sister or something. hes hardly putting in an effort.

Link

lol.
wow you're right, I probably would get beat up by someone who has trained all their life to beat people up. You have shook my world view.

But actually I think rounda would have difficulty cracking the top 500 MMA fighters in her weightclass. Or she gets turned into a vegetable her first match.

You always have these funny fantasies about me getting beat up when we argue. I just guess thats how the limp wristed have to live.

Name one.

I dont think it would be much of an exchange. Sadly, im sure there are people who would support men vs women boxing. It would end up killing some poor girl.

Applause

But from my limited understanding about Earth and Humans, male humans have hormones too. In fact, they have a different kind called Testosterone which tends to make them more aggressive and as one would put colloquially, "horny." So if you can argue that female humans are incapable of such things because of hormones, can't the same be said for males? Think about it, if the downfall of a female in sports would be their hormones making them emotional, how come male sports leagues aren't breaking down because of their aggression and "horniness"? So your argument is defunct earthling. Also from my understanding, being emotional isn't necessarily a bad thing. Most healthy humans have emotions. Even "brothers from another mother" such as I have emotions. It would be unhealthy to hold emotions in and pretend that they didn't exist. That is rudimentary psychology. Also as I have spoken with a few female humans on this planet, it's not even necessarily that they are emotional when they menstruate. They just have a lower tolerance as to what they can handle at the time because of the terrible discomfort they face because of menstruation. And also from my understanding of humans, that is indeed a regular "human" thing for female humans to do. Of course, this may not be true for all women, I am merely speaking in rough terms. Therefore, female humans shouldn't be disqualified from things like sports for example because of their gender, hormones, or how emotional they are.
As in the way of physical abilities: it's no secret that physically men and women are different. Women usually have a harder time "bulking up" than men do. They tend to, but not always, have a higher BMI than men. Women are usually smaller in size than men as well. These are so because testosterone plays a role in increasing bone density, increasing growth hormome which ultimately makes more muscle, and burning fat. So while males may have an innate advantage, that should not disqualify a female for participating in sports, whether it be their own league or a mixed one. That would be similar to saying disabled humans can't participate in their own Olympics and play the best to their own abilities simply because they are disabled. Humans shouldn't have such narrow standards for who can participate in sports. Yes they should have standards in terms of quality of play and sportsmanship, but I don't believe that they should simply be tossed aside because of gender or how able-bodied they are. Of course when I do mention my point of being able-bodied, I do mean against discriminating ridiculously and needlessly against a disabled person. I don't mean that coaches shouldn't disqualify someone who may not be able to meet their standards of play because of a disability. For example, a paraplegic in a wheelchair wants to join a soccer team but the coach of the team says no because they have no use of their legs. That would be understandable. What wouldn't be understandable would be to completely ban that person from all sports and give them no chance of being able to participate in one to the best of their ability and with the use of aids to help relieve that person even a bit of their disability. Keep in mind though that I am not saying that females are disabled, because not all of them are. Ok, I am done, I am simply rambling at this point. My race has a tendency to do that.
  • Visit poster's website