Growers and hidden gems

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
The Mubla

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/22/2011 19:11
  • Post subject: Growers and hidden gems
Thought I might as well merge two into one topic- albums that take a few listens before you get it and love it and those great albums that few have heard.

for me, a grower would be- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot by Wilco
and hidden gem- Fragments Of A Rainy Season by John Cale
ShaneSpear
Thread Killah

United States

• Posted: 03/22/2011 19:28
  • Post subject:
Grower: Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma (2010)

Just couldn't get into this when it was released last year, but after a few listens you can really tell how dynamic and funky the album is, especially the middle section featuring Mmmhmm and Do the Astral Plane.

Hidden Music: Toma - Dakota Took to Wing Another and History Was Made (581 listeners on last.fm)

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?iazzgmnyn2i

Very spacey, relaxing music in the style of Bends/OK Computer era Radiohead. As a matter of fact, Watchtower of the Universe sounds like an alternate universe version of Exit Music (for a Film).
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Chemical Smile

Guatemala

• Posted: 03/22/2011 19:31
  • Post subject:
Grower: Riot Act - Pearl Jam.

I originally bought it for the I Am Mine single, and was unimpressed with the rest of the album, but since then have realised that the majority of songs on it are really good - the stand-out tracks for me are: Can't Keep, Save You, Cropduster, I Am Mine, Thumbing My Way, You Are.

Hidden Gem: Last Exit To - Garageland

Kiwi band, largely influenced by the "Dunedin-Sound" of 1980's NZ bands. Same sound was also hugely influential on Pavement/Stephen Malkmus and more recently Deerhunter.
Great guitar pop record by a band sadly overlooked - even in their native NZ.
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 03/23/2011 10:15
  • Post subject:
Grower: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - The Boatman's Call

Orginally bought this album just because of 'Into My Arms' and didn't think much of the rest of the album. But I started to listen to tracks separately and thought it wasn't bad. The album fell in and out of the chart for a good time there but now, the tracks 'Lime-Tree Arbour' and 'Are You The One I've Been Waiting For' stand out for me as amazingly crafted and delivered.

Hidden Gem: Special Patrol - The Golden Mean

Okay, an Adelaide band that I have talked about a bit and for many, you will not find it anywhere except Australia. Great melodies and structure to their albums but The Golden Mean in particular is beautiful. I cannot think of a better word for it. The personal connection I have (see my other chart [H2]) with this album would not be matched by many.

Also for hidden gems I include: Unbelievable Truth - Almsot Here. This is Thom Yorke's brother's former band. Not bad if you give it a listen.
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 03/23/2011 14:50
  • Post subject:
For some reason most of my favourite albums tend to be growers as opposed to instant likes.

Grower:
The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin:
when I first heard it, it sounded like a pile of nothing. I had got into the lips via Yoshimi and Mystics and was looking probably for more catchy hooks etc. It took me quite a few listens to 'get it'.

Hidden Gem:
Light Light - Side A EP
Thats right, it's mine bitches! and it's coming soon.
no but seriously I would say

Pogo - Texturebox

he's a guy from Western Australia who samples films and such and turns them into songs and they are often beautiful and hypnotic. Though I guess he is kinda known (Pixar/Disney have hired him a couple of times) people still don't seem to know about him. for the uninitiated - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQuqeLBTetA (though i don't think he mixes anything that well known into his aalbum)
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 03/23/2011 22:02
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:

Pogo - Texturebox

he's a guy from Western Australia who samples films and such and turns them into songs and they are often beautiful and hypnotic. Though I guess he is kinda known (Pixar/Disney have hired him a couple of times) people still don't seem to know about him. for the uninitiated - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQuqeLBTetA (though i don't think he mixes anything that well known into his aalbum)

I love this guy! My favourite song is Mary's Magic. Dare I say better than Four Tet?
  • Visit poster's website
bcaie16

Canada

• Posted: 03/23/2011 22:13
  • Post subject:
The Mountain Goats "Life Of The World To Come" and Titus Andronicus "The Airing of Grievances" for hidden gems.
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 03/23/2011 23:29
  • Post subject:
SquishypuffDave wrote:
Jhereko wrote:

Pogo - Texturebox

I love this guy! My favourite song is Mary's Magic. Dare I say better than Four Tet?

did you mean 'expialidocious'? if so yeah thats my favourite too Very Happy
mooseboy101

Switzerland

• Posted: 03/23/2011 23:34
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:

Pogo - Texturebox

His lord of the rings and dexter remixes are dreamy.
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 03/24/2011 07:50
  • Post subject:
I listened to this many years ago when a friend was playing it and I didn't think it was very good the first time. Then I heard it again and I realized just how good it was. (well, I was really high the second time I heard it) My Father liked this band. So I thought I'd give it a go today. I'm not baked this time and I still like it. there are 5 good songs on this one at least. I would say it's a hidden gem.

GET LUCKY (1981) - Loverboy

Just in case anyone is curious about this I posted 1 of their tunes off the album.

Link

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website