Posting an album review/rating before album release

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
ross93

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/05/2015 22:59
  • Post subject: Posting an album review/rating before album release
Don't think this should be allowed, also leads to stupid comments that get to be the top rated on that album that have nothing to do with the album. E.g. +9 votes 'This album hasn't even been released yet blablabla'. Also leads people to leave stupid comments such as this one from the new beach house album that isn't out yet: User rates it 100/100 and posts: "five stars and i haven't even heard it yet ahahahahaha"

Haha , hilarious.

So yeh, thoughts on this?
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 07/05/2015 23:24
  • Post subject: Re: Posting an album review/rating before album release
ross93 wrote:
Don't think this should be allowed, also leads to stupid comments that get to be the top rated on that album that have nothing to do with the album. E.g. +9 votes 'This album hasn't even been released yet blablabla'. Also leads people to leave stupid comments such as this one from the new beach house album that isn't out yet: User rates it 100/100 and posts: "five stars and i haven't even heard it yet ahahahahaha"

Haha , hilarious.

My opinion is that albums should absolutely not be allowed on site until officially released. I also think that, in the last couple of years, the emphasis of the site has moved from finding the best album of all time to a race to get every new release possible added to the database...it's now "new albums, all of the time". For some, I'm sure they like it. To me, it's tiresome.

The user who posted that 5 star review that states "Five stars and I haven't even heard it yet" is shaydndepriest. Shameful. To me, the exact reason why these albums should not be allowed on the site.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 07/06/2015 00:31
  • Post subject:
While I do not agree with the comment and rating of the Beach House album, I do believe we need a 'future releases' section on BEA in some form or another. In this day and age, albums are often being streamed far in advance of their release dates, people are going to be talking about them and it's inevitable they're going to end up on the site, so this is why I believe the albums should be marked as future releases in a section similar to that of the new releases, make them ineligible to be rated or added to charts or something, but I think they should be on the site in some format. And I know the site is called Best Ever Albums, but at the end of the day, it's a music forum, people come here to talk about and find music, whether it's old or new shouldn't make any difference, if this site revolved around the sole purpose of finding the best album of all time I doubt it would be as popular and strong as it is today. Just my two cents.

• Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 07/06/2015 07:33
ross93 wrote:

Haha , hilarious.

It would be quite easy to implement something to disallow ratings for albums with future release dates, & this might help get around this issue.

Patman360 wrote:
I do believe we need a 'future releases' section on BEA in some form or another. In this day and age, albums are often being streamed far in advance of their release dates, people are going to be talking about them and it's inevitable they're going to end up on the site, so this is why I believe the albums should be marked as future releases in a section similar to that of the new releases, make them ineligible to be rated or added to charts or something, but I think they should be on the site in some format.

There is already a page that shows new releases (albums released within 90 days of the current date). If this isn't doing the job for you, let me know how it could be improved and I'll add to the list.
  • Visit poster's website
goeie-oko

Netherlands

• Posted: 07/06/2015 08:20
  • Post subject:
What about if an album is leaked? For example, the new Sufjan Stevens album was leaked about a month before it was actually released. If you were to stop ratings than people would have to wait such a long time before the album had some actual ratings, even though people have been hearing it for weeks.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 07/06/2015 08:35
albummaster wrote:
There is already a page that shows new releases (albums released within 90 days of the current date). If this isn't doing the job for you, let me know how it could be improved and I'll add to the list.

I think that feature would be cooler if the frontpage thumbnail display was capped at current date + 1-2 weeks. Because what happens is an album gets added way ahead of release, and sits there until something else gets added way ahead of release. And so if it were operating on a smaller timeframe I think there'd be a bit more variety to what shows up.
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 07/06/2015 11:15
albummaster wrote:

Hmm, somehow I didn't realise that, seems like the right thing to use, I do like secretdad's idea to help it though!

• Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 07/06/2015 13:01
  • Post subject:
goeie-oko wrote:
What about if an album is leaked? For example, the new Sufjan Stevens album was leaked about a month before it was actually released. If you were to stop ratings than people would have to wait such a long time before the album had some actual ratings, even though people have been hearing it for weeks.

Patience. There is a universe of albums out there that have already been released that you have not heard yet, from a period of about 70 years. We can't wait one month for a Sufjan Stevens album?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 07/06/2015 13:57
secretdad wrote:
I think that feature would be cooler if the frontpage thumbnail display was capped at current date + 1-2 weeks. Because what happens is an album gets added way ahead of release, and sits there until something else gets added way ahead of release. And so if it were operating on a smaller timeframe I think there'd be a bit more variety to what shows up.

Now changed to 14 days. Hopefully, it's a bit more useful now... (might take a couple of hours to be visible on the site due to some of the data being cached)
  • Visit poster's website
goeie-oko

Netherlands

• Posted: 07/06/2015 14:46
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
Patience. There is a universe of albums out there that have already been released that you have not heard yet, from a period of about 70 years. We can't wait one month for a Sufjan Stevens album?

Well sure, but by the time the album is actually released all the hype over the thing will have died down. I think this would seriously influence album ratings, plus, new albums are much more important to talk about and give rating to for most people than those other albums realeased over a period of 70 years.

And I definitely can't wit another month for a Sufjan Stevens album
  • Visit poster's website