Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 07/08/2015 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#1682): Led Zeppelin II by Led Zeppelin
Today's album of the day

Led Zeppelin II by Led Zeppelin (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1969.
Overall rank: 34
Average rating: 87/100 (from 1312 votes).

Tracks:
1. Whole Lotta Love
2. What Is And What Should Never Be
3. The Lemon Song
4. Thank You
5. Heartbreaker
6. Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman)
7. Ramble On
8. Moby Dick
9. Bring It On Home

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 07/08/2015 20:37
  • Post subject:
In the middle of one of the greatest streaks in rock history (LZ I-IV) this album is incredible. That solo in "Heartbreaker" ohhhh man, fantastic. Just not a bad track at all, with some huge highlights (e.g. Whole Lotta Love, Bring It On Home, What Is And What Should Never Be).

Led Zeppelin is perfect.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 07/08/2015 21:37
  • Post subject:
Over time, Led Zep have become just about the most uninteresting band I can think of. Like, whenever I hear them I get incredibly bored. It isn't their fault, and I don't even have any real criticism of them. I don't find them particularly irritating (outside of IV), and occasionally I can see the appeal (a friend had the How the West Was Won DVD on in the background whilst we were chilling at his house a few months back, and it was cool as fuck), but as a studio band I just think they're stodgy and predictable, although that probably wouldn't have been the case if I hadn't been subjected to so much Zep-esque/Zep-influenced blues rock throughout my life. It's just a style of music that does very little for me, and Zeppelin are very obvious culprits. It's like the musical equivalent of drinking Jaegerbombs with "the lads" and running around the table - "oh no not this again" macho shit that I don't subject myself to because I'd just find it tiresome. Oh well.
HoldenM
To Pedantically Split Infinitives

United States

• Posted: 07/08/2015 21:45
  • Post subject:
Not a Led Zeppelin fan, but this is probably my favorite albums of theirs.

Track picks
1. Whole Lotta Love
4. Thank You
7. Ramble On
8. Moby Dick
  • Visit poster's website
Le_Samurai

• Posted: 07/09/2015 00:56
  • Post subject:
Not a huge Zeppelin fan, but this record is incredible and for me, their peak. Continues Zep's trend of not being the best (ok, even really good) lyricists, but god these guys can play. Can anyone really argue against "Whole Lotta Love" at this point? Led Zepplin III isn't as great, but still ranks up there. After that, kind of goes down hill and really bottoms out with 'Houses of Holy". Looking to download Physical Grafitti tonight and hopefully it'll be great, but for me, this is their masterpiece.
PsychologistHD

United States

• Posted: 07/09/2015 04:05
  • Post subject:
This has to be their most accessible album, even more so than "IV" or "Holy".
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 07/09/2015 04:29
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
... "oh no not this again" macho shit that I don't subject myself to because I'd just find it tiresome.

That's not far off. In my case, some of the ambivalence to Zeppelin may be from the lingering footprint of the mid-90s zeitgeist, to which hair metal and its antecedents were a tumor that needed desperately to be excised from the rock mainstream.

Some of that has faded, but not enough to make me a Zeppelin fan. It's a decent listen, though.
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 07/09/2015 12:10
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
hair metal and its antecedents were a tumor that needed desperately to be excised from the rock mainstream.

Sad

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 07/09/2015 14:06
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Sad

Nothing personal, my friend, 'twas just the spirit of the times.
decemberhotel

• Posted: 07/09/2015 17:15
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Over time, Led Zep have become just about the most uninteresting band I can think of. Like, whenever I hear them I get incredibly bored. It isn't their fault, and I don't even have any real criticism of them. I don't find them particularly irritating (outside of IV), and occasionally I can see the appeal (a friend had the How the West Was Won DVD on in the background whilst we were chilling at his house a few months back, and it was cool as fuck), but as a studio band I just think they're stodgy and predictable, although that probably wouldn't have been the case if I hadn't been subjected to so much Zep-esque/Zep-influenced blues rock throughout my life. It's just a style of music that does very little for me, and Zeppelin are very obvious culprits. It's like the musical equivalent of drinking Jaegerbombs with "the lads" and running around the table - "oh no not this again" macho shit that I don't subject myself to because I'd just find it tiresome. Oh well.

I totally understand where you are coming from. Back in the 70's they were unique. Now we have hundreds of bands with a similar style. But none the less still a great album. Even though I have also grown tired of Led Zeppelin.
  • Visit poster's website