Absolute Punk Top Albums of the Century (so far)

View previous topic :: View next topic
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 07/09/2015 20:37
  • Post subject: Absolute Punk Top Albums of the Century (so far)
http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread....um=twitter

I think kind of a cool, though expectedly biased list. Others thoughts?

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 07/09/2015 21:52
  • Post subject:
Yeah, it's cool, pretty much what I'd expect from what I've seen of Absolute Punk, though it's pretty much nothing like how'd I rank the top 50 albums of this century so far, plus I can't see how anyone would think Yeezus is better than The College Dropout (or Good Kid, MAAD City also for that matter, which didn't even make the list...). Gonna revamp my lists to come up with my top albums of the century now. Think

• Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 07/09/2015 22:28
  • Post subject:
Patman360 wrote:
I can't see how anyone would think Yeezus is better than The College Dropout (or Good Kid, MAAD City also for that matter, which didn't even make the list...).

i think it's better than the former, not the latter. TCD always felt a little bloated to me with very little reason to be. the highs are some of the best of his career, obviously, but there's a lot of stuff there that comes off as samey after two or three listens. also, i can't imagine anyone saying that latter-day Yeezy records are self-indulgent but that last track isn't with a straight face. absolutely one of the most mediocre, annoying things i've ever sat through. but yeah seconded on it looking nothing like what my list would be. Yeezus is the sole entry that would have a prayer of being in my top 100 or 200 of the century, let alone 50.
Kiki

• Posted: 07/09/2015 22:32
  • Post subject:
permafrost wrote:
Yeezus is the sole entry that would have a prayer of being in my top 100 or 200 of the century, let alone 50.

Oh no no, you like Fall Out Boy. Don't deny it Razz I have seen you play them.
Satie

• Posted: 07/10/2015 00:02
  • Post subject:
Kiki wrote:
Oh no no, you like Fall Out Boy. Don't deny it Razz I have seen you play them.

i would never deny Fall Out Boy, and i'm glad they chose their best album, but i would never put them that high in the century, no.
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 07/10/2015 19:15
  • Post subject:
permafrost wrote:
i think it's better than the former, not the latter. TCD always felt a little bloated to me with very little reason to be. the highs are some of the best of his career, obviously, but there's a lot of stuff there that comes off as samey after two or three listens. also, i can't imagine anyone saying that latter-day Yeezy records are self-indulgent but that last track isn't with a straight face. absolutely one of the most mediocre, annoying things i've ever sat through. but yeah seconded on it looking nothing like what my list would be. Yeezus is the sole entry that would have a prayer of being in my top 100 or 200 of the century, let alone 50.

I kind of felt the same about The College Dropout at first, but it's really really grown on me over the last year or so, I spent one day last summer on field work listening to it non-stop after my iPod crashed leaving me with just one album able to play and I got hooked, think I'm finding it stronger with every listen and it's probably my favourite of his currently by a longshot, I do like Yeezus, but I feel it hasn't held up well the more I listen to it, when Yeezus was first out I guess I would've put it on par with TCD and Late Registration behind MBDTF, but now I'd stick TCD out in front of all of them. Maybe I need some more listens, I'll give it some playtime again tomorrow.

But yeah, severe lack of GKMC on the list, I actually ended up joining the forums on Absolute Punk for some reason now, can't see it lasting however...

• Visit poster's website