Holy Text Discussion?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 07/18/2015 05:48
  • Post subject: Holy Text Discussion?
Would anyone here be interested in having a monthly discussion about a portion of a religious book? I've been thinking about making threads for these, discussing Song of Solomon, a section in the early portion of Genesis, the Ashtiname of Muhammad, Barlaam and Josaphat/The Prince and the Nazirite, the tale of Indra, Talmudic quotes, The Art of War, and any other spiritual texts others would want to talk about (if anyone wants to educate me more on Baha'i especially I'd love to learn). Would anyone else want to participate/read these?

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 07/18/2015 08:32
  • Post subject:
I likely wouldn't be able to contribute much (if at all), but I'd most certainly be interested in reading something like this
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 07/18/2015 14:32
  • Post subject:
I'd definitely be down for this.
bongritsu
电子人 ( cyborg)

Canada

• Posted: 07/18/2015 19:42
  • Post subject:
Talmud: Tractate Gittin

Folio 57a:

Quote:
What is your punishment [in the other world]? He replied: What I decreed for myself. Every day my ashes are collected and sentence is passed on me and I am burnt and my ashes are scattered over the seven seas. He then went and raised Balaam by incantations. He asked him: Who is in repute in the other world? He replied: Israel. What then, he said, about joining them? He replied: Thou shalt not seek their peace nor their prosperity all thy days for ever.1 He then asked: What is your punishment? He replied: With boiling hot semen.2 He then went and raised by incantations the sinners of Israel.3 He asked them: Who is in repute in the other world? They replied: Israel. What about joining them? They replied: Seek their welfare, seek not their harm. Whoever touches them touches the apple of his eye. He said: What is your punishment? They replied: With boiling hot excrement, since a Master has said: Whoever mocks at the words of the Sages is punished with boiling hot excrement. Observe the difference between the sinners of Israel and the prophets of the other nations who worship idols. It has been taught: Note from this incident how serious a thing it is to put a man to shame, for God espoused the cause of Bar Kamza and destroyed His House and burnt His Temple.

let the beautiful words fill you up!

I FEEL DISCRIMINATED AGAINST AS A PERSON OF JUDGEMENT.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 07/18/2015 19:47
  • Post subject:
Yeah I'm not sure how much I can contribute (hopefully I'll surprise myself) but this sounds like a great idea!

Last.fm
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
PsychologistHD

United States

• Posted: 07/26/2015 18:34
  • Post subject:
I would love to do this as well.

I will admit I read the title like Robin.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 05/30/2016 19:40
  • Post subject:
I'm an ex-mormon and studied both the King James Bible and Book of Mormon "very" well.

I also "worked" with many who follow the Islam faith while on mission in Germany.

I also took a world religion course at University like 5 years ago and loved that class and learning about different religions.

Living in Los Angeles also gave me insight to lots of different religions.

These things interest me.

I also have become more or less a Marxist (in theory) and also totally agree that religion really has become an opiate for the masses....

But I also believe what other German Philosophers and writers believed... Myth is VERY VERY strong and can lead us to better living and truths often better than reality can.

I guess what I'm saying is that I've "seen" learned a lot about religion from MANY different perspectives and like talking about it with others.

I've also had the unpleasant experience of Bible Bashing and well... that's a waste of everyone's time, so I'd like to not do that/see that in the thread and would hope folks would have the maturity not to do that.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 05/30/2016 19:47
  • Post subject:
I'll throw in something I find interesting:

Mormons are considered extreme conservatives even if they don't officially support either side of the political spectrum.

Some don't know that a very prominent member of the leadership of the church was a devout Democrat. A majority of my still active Mormon friends don't like hearing this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_E._Faust

Faust served in the House of Representatives for the 28th Utah State Legislature (1949) as a Democrat for Utah's eighth district. He also served as chairman of the Utah State Democratic Party and helped manage a campaign for Senator Frank Moss.[3] In 1996, Faust was awarded with the Minuteman Award by the Utah National Guard.[4]

Faust was appointed by U.S. President John F. Kennedy to the Lawyer's Committee for Civil Rights.[5] He was also an advisor to the American Bar Journal.[5] He was made an honorary citizen of São Paulo, Brazil and received a national Brazilian citizenship award.[5]

Another thing Conservative Mormons forget is this King Benjamin speech... these verses are from the Book of Mormon (Mosiah chapter 4: https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/mosiah/4?lang=eng

Quote:
16 And also, ye yourselves will succor those that stand in need of your succor; ye will administer of your substance unto him that standeth in need; and ye will not suffer that the beggar putteth up his petition to you in vain, and turn him out to perish.

17 Perhaps thou shalt say: The man has brought upon himself his misery; therefore I will stay my hand, and will not give unto him of my food, nor impart unto him of my substance that he may not suffer, for his punishments are just—

18 But I say unto you, O man, whosoever doeth this the same hath great cause to repent; and except he repenteth of that which he hath done he perisheth forever, and hath no interest in the kingdom of God.

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 05/30/2016 20:27; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 05/30/2016 19:51
  • Post subject:
This isn't holy text... except for maybe those that consider Philosophy something to help you understand God, whatever your definition of that may be.

It's a book that I cherish about what German's did when they realized the Church could no longer be the banner of morals and goodness (See history of German Christianity for context).

This explains the use of Myth to fulfill this void in their culture:

It's called The Longing for Myth in Germany

http://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/boo...27309.html

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 05/30/2016 20:22; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 05/30/2016 19:54
  • Post subject:
Maybe I should keep my commentary out of it and let the words speak for themselves? Also anyone offended with Philosophy being part of a religious search for meaning, or should we keep it to only holy texts?
  • Visit poster's website