US Presidential Election 2016 Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
CubaZed

• Posted: 08/04/2015 01:55
  • Post subject: US Presidential Election 2016 Discussion
Now that the first preliminary Republican debate (the voter forum so not "technically" the first debate) has finished I feel it's time to start this thread. What do you guys think about the candidates so far? Will Kasich or Perry get the tenth seed? Do you think any of the Republican candidates make sense? For the Democrats, do you think that Sanders or Clinton will secure the nomination and who would you prefer? And will Rick Santorum ever not be retarded?
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 08/04/2015 05:24
  • Post subject: Re: US Presidential Election 2016 Discussion
CubaZed wrote:
Now that the first preliminary Republican debate (the voter forum so not "technically" the first debate) has finished I feel it's time to start this thread. What do you guys think about the candidates so far? Will Kasich or Perry get the tenth seed? Do you think any of the Republican candidates make sense? For the Democrats, do you think that Sanders or Clinton will secure the nomination and who would you prefer? And will Rick Santorum ever not be retarded?

The Republican stable is a clown car. I'm not sure who'll get the 10th seed for the debate. It'll be whoever kisses more Fox News ass. I love that the lesser debate is now known as the kids table Applause

As for the Democrats, I'd love to see Bernie Sanders take it, but obviously he's the underdog. That said, unless Clinton steers hard to the Left in her rhetoric right now, we're going to see another Obama-esque upset for Hillary. She's way too caught up in Washington conventional wisdom, thinking that the country is more conservative than it really is. Bernie's positions are actually in line with the public's demands. Obviously Bernie's handicap here is his significantly smaller budget, but you never know, presidential elections offer a lot of free media coverage.

And Rick Santorum will always be retarded. He's constantly thinking he's going to gain support by appealing to the most unpopular positions on issues. Chris Christie is actually doing the same thing right now. He's actually making his anti-marijuana legalization position a focal point of his campaign right now. What a dumbass. That position isn't even popular in red states anymore.
Precedent

• Posted: 08/04/2015 05:42
  • Post subject:
R E D B O Y S

I like most of the Republican candidates, but i'm not a fan of Trump. I'm biased against the Democrats, but Sanders is solid, but I'm not head over heels for him. I'm definitely peacing out of the US a few years early if Clinton wins.
zdwyatt

United States

• Posted: 08/04/2015 13:33
  • Post subject: Re: US Presidential Election 2016 Discussion
What do you guys think about the candidates so far?

Just like every election cycle, I find myself thinking, "These are seriously my choices?"

Will Kasich or Perry get the tenth seed?

Kasich is polling better, so I expect him to get it.

Do you think any of the Republican candidates make sense?

Well, there isn't one I'd vote for, if that's what you mean. Based purely on their records, I'd probably be least annoyed with Chris Christie or Jeb Bush. Of course, I don't care for Christie's personality, nor do I really want to see yet another Bush in charge. Rand Paul talks a good game, but his voting record does not support his mouth. The rest of them are equally odious, with the exception of my current governor Scott Walker, who is a dumpster fire with an unmatched stink. Note that I also don't consider Donald Trump a real candidate, no matter how many polls he leads.

For the Democrats, do you think that Sanders or Clinton will secure the nomination and who would you prefer?

I kind of assume Clinton will get it, but I do think Democrats could nominate someone else if given the opportunity. I don't know many people who are excited about Clinton. They just sort of accept her inevitability. I do like Sanders, even though he's far more liberal than I am. It's hard not to get excited about his frank talk, though I have my doubts about how that would translate to an actual presidency.

And will Rick Santorum ever not be retarded?

Nope. And he still carried 11 states in 2012. Unreal.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 08/04/2015 13:43
  • Post subject:
Precedent wrote:
I'm definitely peacing out of the US a few years early if Clinton wins.

Somehow I doubt that

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Muslim-Bigfoot

Location: Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

• Posted: 08/04/2015 14:31
  • Post subject:
Who are these people who support Trump in polls? Where did they come from? Are they trolling? I'm pretty sure that two years ago, if you told Republicans that Trump is gonna be main GOP candidate they'd think you were joking.
zdwyatt

United States

• Posted: 08/04/2015 14:44
  • Post subject:
Muslim-Bigfoot wrote:
I'm pretty sure that two years ago, if you told Republicans that Trump is gonna be main GOP candidate they'd think you were joking.

Agreed. If I was one of the other candidates, I'd be seriously looking at my own message and wondering how that jackass was polling ahead of me. I think his appeal is a combination of three things:

1. His talking points are right in line with what a certain segment of voters want to hear. And because he's never held office, there's not voting records to contest what he says he believes.

2. He's rich. He embodies the American dream that anyone can get rich with hard work.

3. During primary season, there's always at least one candidate that gets a lot of mileage out of being a "Washington outsider" and speaking their mind. Trump is that guy right now.
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 08/04/2015 14:55
  • Post subject:
Muslim-Bigfoot wrote:
Who are these people who support Trump in polls? Where did they come from? Are they trolling? I'm pretty sure that two years ago, if you told Republicans that Trump is gonna be main GOP candidate they'd think you were joking.

Mainly, it's people who recognize the name and want to have a response when a pollster asks them who they support so as to not come off as uninformed. I'd love if other Republican candidates started aligning themselves more with Trump's rhetoric. It would be much more honest of them. But I'm still convinced the Clinton campaign is funding Trump, because he's too perfect of a time bomb in the Republican field.
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 08/04/2015 15:53
  • Post subject:
Muslim-Bigfoot wrote:

Unfortunately I know a lot of people who say they like Trump because he "tells it like it is" and he isn't "politically correct". These people tend to believe that we live in a too "politically correct" society and are typically the people who post pictures on Facebook of the American flag with superimposed text that says "I DONT CARE IF THIS OFFENDS ANY1 FILL FACEBOOK WITH THE AMERICAN FLAG"

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 08/04/2015 16:34
  • Post subject:
Muslim-Bigfoot wrote:

Link

They're not trolling, I'm sorry to say.

Precedent wrote:
I'm definitely peacing out of the US a few years early if Clinton wins.

Link

We got a Sean Hannity on our hands.