Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 08/13/2015 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#1718): Trout Mask Replica
Today's album of the day

Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1969.
Overall rank: 171
Average rating: 75/100 (from 551 votes).

Tracks:
1. Frownland
2. The Dust Blows Forward N The Dust Blows Back
3. Dachau Blues
4. Ella Guru
5. Hair Pie Bake 1
6. Moonlight On Vermont
7. Pachuco Cadaver
8. Bills Corpse
9. Sweet Sweet Bulbs
10. Neon Meate Dream Of A Octafish
11. China Pig
12. My Human Gets Me Blues
13. Dali's Car
14. Hair Pie Bake 2
15. Pena
16. Well
17. When Big Joan Sets Up
18. Fallin' Ditch
19. Sugar 'N Spikes
20. Ant Man Bee
21. Orange Claw Hammer
22. Wild Life
23. She's Too Much For My Mirror
24. Hobo Chang Ba
25. The Blimp (mousetrapreplica)
26. Steal Softly Thru Snow
27. Old Fart At Play
28. Veteran's Day Poppy

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
PsychologistHD

United States

• Posted: 08/13/2015 20:02
  • Post subject:
Wikipedia wrote:
Van Vliet wanted the whole band to "live" the Trout Mask Replica album. The group rehearsed Van Vliet's difficult compositions for eight months, living communally in their small rented house in the Woodland Hills suburb of Los Angeles. With only two bedrooms the band members would find sleep in various corners of one, while Vliet occupied the other and rehearsals were accomplished in the main living area. Van Vliet implemented his vision by completely dominating his musicians, artistically and emotionally. At various times one or another of the group members was "put in the barrel", with Van Vliet berating him continually, sometimes for days, until the musician collapsed in tears or in total submission.[62] Guitarist Bill Harkleroad complained that his fingers were a "bloody mess" as a result of Beefheart's orders that he use heavy strings.[63] Drummer John French described the situation as "cultlike"[64] and a visiting friend said "the environment in that house was positively Mansonesque".[5] Their material circumstances were dire. With no income other than welfare and contributions from relatives, the group barely survived and were even arrested for shoplifting food (Zappa bailed them out)[citation needed]. French has recalled living on no more than a small cup of beans a day for a month.[28] A visitor described their appearance as "cadaverous" and said that "they all looked in poor health". Band members were restricted from leaving the house and practiced for 14 or more hours a day.

Physical assaults were encouraged at times, along with verbal degradation. At one point Cotton ran from the house and escaped for a few weeks, during which time Alex Snouffer filled in for him and helped to work up Ant Man Bee. French, who had thrown a metal cymbal at Cotton, ran after him yelling that he too wanted to come. Cotton later returned to the house with French's mother, who took him away for a few weeks, but he later felt compelled to return, as did Cotton. Mark Boston at one point hid clothes in a field across the street, planning his own getaway.[citation needed]

John French's 2010 book Through the Eyes of Magic describes some of the "talks", which were initiated by his doing such things as playing a Frank Zappa drum part ("The Blimp (mousetrapreplica)") in his drumming shed, and not having finished drum parts as quickly as Beefheart wanted. French writes of being punched by band members, thrown into walls, kicked, punched in the face by Beefheart hard enough to draw blood, being attacked with a sharp broomstick.[65] Eventually Beefheart, French says, threatened to throw him out an upper floor window. He admits complicity in similarly attacking his bandmates during "talks" aimed at them. In the end, after the album's recording, Beefheart ejected French from the band by throwing him down a set of stairs, telling him to "Take a walk, man" after not responding in a desired manner to a request to "play a strawberry" on the drums. Beefheart replaced French with drummer Jeff Bruschel, an acquaintance of Hayden. Referred to as 'Fake Drumbo' (playing on French's drumset) this final act resulted in French's name not appearing on the album credits, either as a player or arranger. Bruschel toured with the band to Europe but was replaced by the next recording.

Now that is one terrifying album to listen to.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 08/13/2015 20:02
  • Post subject:
I'm a really bad person. Whenever someone asks me what kind of music I like to listen to (or what I make), I put this album on. When they near-inevitably show disgust at the opening minute of "Frownland", I read off the opening paragraphs of the Scaruffi page from memory, which puts them in even more shock that a famous academic worships the music.

In the end, though, it really is just as perfect and significant as Scaruffi said it was. The interludes and tonal changes may seem choppy at first, but like The Big Lebowski, everything makes perfect sense the tenth time you listen to it.
  • Visit poster's website
dmercado

United States

• Posted: 08/13/2015 20:38
  • Post subject:
Ugghhhhhhh

My Charts at http://www.besteveralbums.com/usercharts.php?u=27982

My Radio Show at http://www.facebook.com/tender.wmbr
  • Visit poster's website
poppmusic

• Posted: 08/13/2015 20:48
  • Post subject:
The utter confusion about how all the instruments work together *might* go away the tenth time you listen, but the obnoxious voice certainly will not.
  • Visit poster's website
PsychologistHD

United States

• Posted: 08/13/2015 20:53
  • Post subject:
poppmusic wrote:
The utter confusion about how all the instruments work together *might* go away the tenth time you listen, but the obnoxious voice certainly will not.

Funny, I found Beefheart's voice delicious upon a first listen, while the instruments took time.

There are some bangers that made sense immediately, like "Moonlight Over Vermont" and "China Pig" are awesome blues songs.
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 08/13/2015 21:02
  • Post subject:
this album is weird. i liked it a lot on first listen. i loved it on second listen. i returned to liking it a lot by the fifth listen, and by listen ten, i had heard enough of it.
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 08/13/2015 21:09
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
Whenever someone asks me what kind of music I like to listen to (or what I make), I put this album on. When they near-inevitably show disgust at the opening minute of "Frownland", I read off the opening paragraphs of the Scaruffi page from memory

i was going to say that there is no way this could possibly be true

but it probably is..
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 08/13/2015 21:39
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:
i was going to say that there is no way this could possibly be true

but it probably is..

I don't mean it in an elitist way or anything. I just find it so priceless to see the look on there faces when they find out people actually love this music. It's like in Avenue Q when Trekkie Monster goes, "You have no idea..."
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 08/13/2015 21:48
  • Post subject:
the highest compliment I can pay a popular music album is saying that it's the Trout Mask Replica of _____. one of the absolutely most thrilling, consistent, and infinitely replayable works of music ever made. perfect in every way.