bands like these?

View previous topic :: View next topic
DarkSideOfTheComputer

• Posted: 08/31/2015 18:51
  • Post subject: bands like these?
Those dancing days
The go gos

Northern soul/60s girl group/indie pop sound. Anyone know of any other bands with a similar style and sound?
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 08/31/2015 19:06
  • Post subject:
kinda removed in time, but definitely an intentional homage/advancing of the sound was a lot of the twee pop stuff that came out through the late seventies through the nineties. in particular, I'd say Dolly Mixture, Trixie's Big Red Motorbike, and Twa Toots. as far as from that era, i'm definitely less well-versed than most (my intro to twee pop comes via its relationship to and in opposition to punk rock and post-punk, not from its earlier halcyon girl group influences, not that that matters when the bands you mention are also in this quote unquote second generation of girl groups or maybe third in the case of Dancing Days) but an obvious touchstone is the Phil Spector box set Back to Mono. whoo okay really showing my personal aesthetic biases so Northern Soul and '60s Girl Groups specifically that are really great to check out that aren't on that set include the Shangri-Las, the Shirelles, the Caravelles, the Supremes, the Paris Sisters. you probably want female-fronted stuff, but i'll post-script this with a big rec from the male vocals side of things: Bob and Gene's If This World Were Mine is a fucking masterpiece of Northern Soul in every possible way.

e: sorry if you meant contemporary bands that build on this tradition; wasn't super clear from the OP
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 08/31/2015 19:59
  • Post subject:
permafrost wrote:
the Shangri-Las, the Shirelles, the Caravelles, the Supremes, the Paris Sisters.

Some of my favorites.

To that list I'd add The Crystals, Ronettes, Honey Ltd, Martha Reeves & the Vandellas

or for something more modern The Pipettes, and I'd imagine someone who digs all these girl groups would dig Camera Obscura.
  • Visit poster's website
DarkSideOfTheComputer

• Posted: 08/31/2015 20:05
  • Post subject:
permafrost wrote:
kinda removed in time, but definitely an intentional homage/advancing of the sound was a lot of the twee pop stuff that came out through the late seventies through the nineties. in particular, I'd say Dolly Mixture, Trixie's Big Red Motorbike, and Twa Toots. as far as from that era, i'm definitely less well-versed than most (my intro to twee pop comes via its relationship to and in opposition to punk rock and post-punk, not from its earlier halcyon girl group influences, not that that matters when the bands you mention are also in this quote unquote second generation of girl groups or maybe third in the case of Dancing Days) but an obvious touchstone is the Phil Spector box set Back to Mono. whoo okay really showing my personal aesthetic biases so Northern Soul and '60s Girl Groups specifically that are really great to check out that aren't on that set include the Shangri-Las, the Shirelles, the Caravelles, the Supremes, the Paris Sisters. you probably want female-fronted stuff, but i'll post-script this with a big rec from the male vocals side of things: Bob and Gene's If This World Were Mine is a fucking masterpiece of Northern Soul in every possible way.

e: sorry if you meant contemporary bands that build on this tradition; wasn't super clear from the OP

Thanks for replying. I'm specifically looking for bands because I love that style but only really know vocal groups in those genres but I find bands more interesting..for obvious reasons.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 08/31/2015 22:49
  • Post subject: Re: bands like these?
DarkSideOfTheComputer wrote:
Those dancing days
The go gos

Northern soul/60s girl group/indie pop sound. Anyone know of any other bands with a similar style and sound?

There's a few indie pop groups with thowbacks to 60s pop such as:

Link

Link

Link

Link
  • Visit poster's website
latenighttv

• Posted: 09/02/2015 20:26
  • Post subject:
Voice of the Beehive, Forget-Me-Nots, and maybe Lucius as well. Would be good to have another Lucius album pretty soon actually.

Link
  • Visit poster's website