Music Diaries Subforum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Should BEA incorporate a Music Diary subforum?
Yes
71%
 71%  [10]
No
28%
 28%  [4]
Total Votes : 14

Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 11/05/2015 20:57
  • Post subject:
Bloody brilliant! Thanks Albummaster

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 11/10/2015 18:40
  • Post subject:
hey so I was thinking maybe we could give users moderater privileges over their own diary threads? Would give people the option of deleting some sections of more or less meandering chit-chat (of which I am guilty) so as to make it easier to get to the actual diary posts
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 11/10/2015 18:55
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
hey so I was thinking maybe we could give users moderater privileges over their own diary threads? Would give people the option of deleting some sections of more or less meandering chit-chat (of which I am guilty) so as to make it easier to get to the actual diary posts

Second this motion (and also guilty).
Satie

• Posted: 11/10/2015 19:12
  • Post subject:
Thirded
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 11/10/2015 22:40
  • Post subject:
i'm not sure if phpbb has that kind of functionality. we could always just have a general discussion thread in that forum and ppl can say "dont post in my thread post in there" if they want? i dont mind posts in mine personally but i can see why itd be good to have it exclusive if you wanted
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 11/11/2015 01:50
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
If people even wrote like one sentence about what they were listening to, it wouldn't be an issue, but no one ever wants to discuss music. That thread is just this bloated points farm at this point.

No, it's not a bloated "points farm". Even if people just post what they are listening to without talking about it, there is value in it. It's actually interesting to see what people are listening to, and it's become kind of the center of the forums...after all, listening to albums is why we're here, and the thread is a big part of it. The diaries (the titles of which I am not a big fan of, but whatever) are seperate, in a seperate forum, and shoud stay that way. It's also probably the easiest source for recs on the site, and is, to me anyway, the forum symbol of what BEA is for.

A bloated "points farm" would be something where you could, say, rate every song on multiple albums quickly and easily. Most people don't post on the Album thread more than 3 or 4 times a day, which results in a whopping, what, 8 points? You may not like the thread, but there are people here who do, and who probably don't really appreciate it being called a bloated points farm. It's over 8500 pages long, and just about everyone who has ever posted here has contributed to it. I think it deserves better. I see it as an icon of BEA. We can have both the diaries in its own forum and the Albums thread in the music forum.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 11/11/2015 03:16
  • Post subject:
I wasn't the first, much less only, person to say something negative about that thread, so I'm not entirely sure why I was quoted. I tend to avoid the thread myself and don't care if other people use it. No need to give such an impassioned defense. It was musing on several users' part several days ago that hasn't amounted to anything or resulted in any increased pressure.

I'm curious about your problem with personalized titles for the Music Diaries, if you want to offer it. I'm also interested in your perspective as a moderator on dbz's idea that users be given personal thread moderation privileges to better curate their music diaries.
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 11/11/2015 03:34
  • Post subject:
I'm not exactly a man of many words, so my entires could just end up being a few sentences. Plus, I think it looks neater if I wrote an entry per album (or concert for my matter), just like how I write a new page in a journal for each entry, despite it being within the same day. That's just me, though.
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 11/11/2015 03:38
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
I wasn't the first, much less only, person to say something negative about that thread, so I'm not entirely sure why I was quoted. I tend to avoid the thread myself and don't care if other people use it. No need to give such an impassioned defense. It was musing on several users' part several days ago that hasn't amounted to anything or resulted in any increased pressure.

I'm curious about your problem with personalized titles for the Music Diaries, if you want to offer it. I'm also interested in your perspective as a moderator on dbz's idea that users be given personal thread moderation privileges to better curate their music diaries.

You were the one who used the words "point farm". That's why.

I simply find the creative thread titles to be annoying. Just my opinion, but I would have gone with having a generic thread title ("Romanelli's Music Diary", "Satie's Music Diary") in the same way that the non-custom charts on BEA have generic titles. I find the thread titles to be distracting and unecessary. The creative content should be inside the thread...not outside. My opinion.

I am surprised that the diaries are open to all users...I thought that it was supposed to have been something that required a certain number of points to unlock. I would not have a problem with users being able to moderate their own diaries (I do not know how easy it would be to set up to give moderator abilities on a thread by thread basis). Again, if it were me, and single thread moderator priveledges could be done, I would have individuals request to have a thread opened for them (granted based on points), with the mod priveledges set up at that time and with a generic thread title.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 11/11/2015 03:50
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
I would have individuals request to have a thread opened for them (granted based on points), with the mod priveledges set up at that time and with a generic thread title.

Minus the generic thread title, this was the format of the process on the forum from which I got this idea, for the record. I understand though that the current incarnation (seemingly) wasn't very labor-intensive for am, and I am very glad it's open at all. These are tweaks and modifications that can come as they're possible or desirable.