Music Diaries Subforum

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Should BEA incorporate a Music Diary subforum?
Yes
71%
 71%  [10]
No
28%
 28%  [4]
Total Votes : 14

Satie

• Posted: 09/16/2015 00:42
  • Post subject: Music Diaries Subforum
On another forum I won't name since I don't frequent it anymore and don't want to be misinterpreted as advertising, a really good idea has been put into place - a subforum for music diaries. I'm not sure if it was an originally conceived feature or if it was a response to the community there making a bunch of them and crowding the regular subforums, but I think this could be interesting here. I've long wanted to make a sort of listening log, and we've experimented with weekly user listening log threads (now defunct?) in the past to pretty solid success rates with the more dedicated users. I just feel weird making my own thread in the Music subforum for such a thing. Now, the main objection I could see here is that charts can be made as listening logs, and this is very true, but I think the interactivity of a forum thread allows for more fun and novel approaches to listening logs as well as better real-time feedback in the form of recommendations, responses to opinions and writing style, etc. Interested in people's thoughts on this idea.

A random detail that I couldn't fit into the above proposition but am interested in people's opinion on - this other forum also restricts people's ability to make a music journal, requiring users who want to do such to have a certain post-count threshold and I believe moderator approval. Maybe this could be added as a perk for one of the point levels here if we're skeptical about this idea.
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 09/16/2015 01:39
  • Post subject: Re: Music Diaries Subforum
permafrost wrote:
On another forum I won't name since I don't frequent it anymore and don't want to be misinterpreted as advertising, a really good idea has been put into place - a subforum for music diaries. I'm not sure if it was an originally conceived feature or if it was a response to the community there making a bunch of them and crowding the regular subforums, but I think this could be interesting here. I've long wanted to make a sort of listening log, and we've experimented with weekly user listening log threads (now defunct?) in the past to pretty solid success rates with the more dedicated users. I just feel weird making my own thread in the Music subforum for such a thing. Now, the main objection I could see here is that charts can be made as listening logs, and this is very true, but I think the interactivity of a forum thread allows for more fun and novel approaches to listening logs as well as better real-time feedback in the form of recommendations, responses to opinions and writing style, etc. Interested in people's thoughts on this idea.

A random detail that I couldn't fit into the above proposition but am interested in people's opinion on - this other forum also restricts people's ability to make a music journal, requiring users who want to do such to have a certain post-count threshold and I believe moderator approval. Maybe this could be added as a perk for one of the point levels here if we're skeptical about this idea.

I believe that this is an exceptional idea.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 09/16/2015 01:56
  • Post subject:
yes I would definitely throw down in this
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 09/16/2015 01:57
  • Post subject:
les do it
sp4cetiger

• Post subject:
Sounds like a great idea. Some of the posts that end up in the "What album are you listening to?" thread would be much better preserved in a diary-like thread that could be easily browsed (looking especially at Skinny).

Last edited by sp4cetiger on 09/16/2015 01:57; edited 1 time in total
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Post subject:
That does sound cool! Like as a perk it would be great.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 09/16/2015 02:37
  • Post subject:
Thanks for all the positive feedback, guys. Glad others like this idea.
PsychologistHD

United States

• Posted: 09/16/2015 02:55
  • Post subject:
Letterboxd?

Also yes, this needs to happen. I love the idea.
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 09/16/2015 03:06
  • Post subject:
Boomboxd, actually
PsychologistHD

United States

• Posted: 09/16/2015 03:12
  • Post subject:
permafrost wrote:
Boomboxd, actually

Cool. I'll check 'em out.

Why did you stop frequenting, if I may ask? Lost interest? Did you make a complete fool of yourself like I have on this website?
  • Visit poster's website