About decades and divisions.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
HoldenM
To Pedantically Split Infinitives

United States

• Posted: 09/18/2015 04:50
  • Post subject:
The 2010s are the best, and following decades will be better.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 09/18/2015 04:54
  • Post subject:
permafrost wrote:
there was no implication of not appreciating your contributions to the completeness of the database. ("despite the fact that you spend all of your fucking time filling in information for albums that you don't consider the best ever. so enlighten me".) i was just making a bemused comment about the fact that every single time someone brings up the database you have a pre-packaged rant about all the shit that shouldn't even be on the site in your estimation. No. I was inserting my opinion that new albums tend to be seen as greater than they actually are. Based on EXPERIENCE) if you feel so strongly that things after 2010 are not yet vintage enough to count as best ever albums and that all us teeny-boppers are flooding the database with bullshit, then you should be making a principled stand to not contribute to those releases or shut up about your personal dogma about what does and doesn't belong in the database. You greatly exaggerate my feelings about this. I do not believe that these albums are not worthy of best ever status...I believe that, FOR ME, a lot of these albums need time to be soaked in rather than be immediately considered in that conversation. Again, from experience. I've seen countless albums over a lot of years quickly heralded as great, only to be completely forgotten a short time later. I DO respect what the younger listeners here say, because I was once one of you. Very much so. i would hope you'd choose the latter option, because your point total clearly indicates that the former choice is more beneficial for the site as a whole.

and jesus fucking christ, really? a "who are you??!?!?!?!?!?" defense? you're coming off as incredibly defensive and reactionary, just like in every thread where you interact with the community at all and people have something to direct to you specifically, positive or negative. you constantly interpret things that are completely innocuous as direct provocations and it's ridiculous. Maybe because every time I express my opinions, I get responses like yours. And maybe, even though I DO work my ass off for BEA (because I think it's the damn coolest site on the internet), I get shit from users like I did in your response. I had to defend myself for a long time from users accusing me of gaming the site...when all I care about is giving back to a site that gives a lot to me. I may come across as defensive...I take a lot of shit here for just being happy to help. My sin is trying to be part of thye community here, which is no easy task...it's a community that sees about the same number of people leave annually as there are new members who stay.

p.s. i constantly bring up that you're out of touch with the forum culture here, and i would think that would be best evidenced in this situation by the fact that literally everyone else here knows that i'm satiemaniac and calls me satie half the fucking time and i've been a forum regular for like a year and a half now on and off. but i don't run around screaming about how my year and a half of service to the site has been instrumental in blah blah blah blah. you're just an institutionally endorsed Poe sometimes, but where he inflated his self-worth based on liking non-western music, you've inflated your self-worth based on having, vocalizing, enforcing, and being given the platform of a Moderator position to yell about, this incredibly specific dogma of what BEA is to you to the dismissal of anyone else's possible use for it.

I have NEVER tried to inflate my anything by using my position as a moderator. It's something that I do, again, as a way of helping AM as a thanks for this site. You don't like me for whatever reason? Fine. I have stuck around here for years despite the fact that I have always been disliked...to the point of where I don't care what people think of me anymore. You want to just be insulting towards me? Fine. I don't care. This is why the community doesn't grow much. You think I'm out of touch with the forum "culture"? I'm sorry...would it be better if I just agreed with everybody all the time? Would that better for you? I react defensively because pretty much everything said to me here is negative. Why? Because I don't fit the nmold of the ideal BEA user? Because I'm not someone who gets invited to the private skype sessions? Because I have a different view of music from 30-40 years ago because I was actually there? The forums here are a close knit clique, and I believe are the reason why they don't grow. As for my self worth, you have no idea how little self worth I really believe I have, how much my life sucks right now, and how BEA (and helping with album admin as much as I can) helps me to forget just how fucking lonely I am right now. You are entitled to your opinion, and I AM ENTITLED TO MY FUCKING OPINION. I made a comment that maybe the decade you all think is the greatest right now might fade in a few years, and for that, I get a beautiful hour's worth of having to miserably deal with your crap. Whoever you have been in the past...I don't care. I expressed a simple opinion, and I get this crate full of dung from you. Thanks a pantload. [b]

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 09/18/2015 04:56
  • Post subject:
"despite the fact that you spend all of your fucking time filling in information for albums that you don't consider the best ever. so enlighten me"

....and for that alone, you suck.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 09/18/2015 09:52
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:

2. Non-western music is da bomb.com

Bitch pleeeeeease, you don't even care about non-western music.

• Visit poster's website
PanduArya

Indonesia

• Posted: 09/18/2015 11:33
  • Post subject:
Wewhh... A chaos again... Neutral Neutral
Hope this mess does not last too long

I, myself, somehow supported on Romanelli on this
  • Visit poster's website
WindowAbove

United States

• Posted: 09/18/2015 11:44
  • Post subject:
Permafrost stfu Romanelli's opinion on the subject has been established many times and even though I don't agree with him, there's no point in constantly antagonizing him for it. My answer is 2010s.
  • Visit poster's website
PanduArya

Indonesia

• Posted: 09/18/2015 12:16
  • Post subject:
Yeah, permafrost is a rude ass Sad Sad
He (?) should haven't said such things to Roma
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 09/18/2015 12:28
  • Post subject:
Hey, you must be pretty elite to be the Poe of dadrock...... right?

But yeah, I'm definitely with Tyler on this one. Sure albums often wane in their appeal, but a unique album you get a leak of can change your life in an instant; you don't need to wait years to make sure that it really mattered. And while I certainly appreciate having all the albums organized, I think in a perfect world even playlists should be on here. It'd definitely make the website more fun.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 09/18/2015 14:20
  • Post subject:
Sometimes all you need is one listen, but I do agree with Romanelli in the "let an album settle before jumping to brash conclusions about 'best decades' of anything." Romanelli is not as big of a 'dadrock-toting elitist authoritative jerk' as you guys make it seem.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 09/18/2015 17:39
  • Post subject:
Take a breather and start again.

Both sides have points. I generally see myself on the side of Romanelli. It's hard to really assess something while you're in the middle of it. Excitement levels change with time/age. But it's understandable that someone would think the current decade is the best. The sheer quantity and variety of music being released this decade is exponentially greater than all previous decades. Does quantity = quality? no. But with greater access and less gatekeepers, we're more capable than ever to discover that which suits our own personal tastes.

To answer the OP...

It's hard to choose a favorite decade, but lately I've been leaning to the 70s. The decade provided much of my favorite reggae, funk, punk, post-punk, afrobeat/afrofunk, rock, soul/r&b, songwriters, etc.

In regards to where my favorite music is coming from, the USA is the main place, but I've been enthralled by African music (generally Nigeria, Ghana, Mali), then maybe UK, Jamaica, Germany, Bazil, France and so on.
  • Visit poster's website