About decades and divisions.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
meruizh

Mexico

• Posted: 09/18/2015 18:06
  • Post subject:
permafrost wrote:

and jesus fucking christ, really? a "who are you??!?!?!?!?!?" defense? you're coming off as incredibly defensive and reactionary, just like in every thread where you interact with the community at all and people have something to direct to you specifically, positive or negative. you constantly interpret things that are completely innocuous as direct provocations and it's ridiculous.

I dont participate a lot in forums, but I tend to read them every now and then, and the only user who is "incredibly defensive and reactionary" who "constantly interpret things that are completely innocuous as direct provocations and it's ridiculous" IS YOU MAN. so chill. It's just a simple opinion.

And I agree Romanelli, people in their 20's twenty years ago were probably saying the same thing about the 90's.
luis721

Colombia

• Posted: 09/18/2015 22:57
  • Post subject:
Is good to see that you share your point of view, but at least try not using bad words.
I agree that 2010's are the best... but I think is because we've got more ways of sharing music and discovering new music, and that in the 60's there were less ways, and I think there could be a lot of lost good music of these early years.
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 09/19/2015 00:27
  • Post subject:
HoldenM wrote:
The 2010s are the best, and following decades will be better.

As per usual, I probably agree with Holden. Music keeps advancing, just like about every art form.

Romanelli wrote:
....and for that alone, you suck.

I know you had a whole thought out response (which admittedly makes some good points and some just sort of "well no one was saying that" points) but that actually sounds more childish than anything permafrost said.

Neither of you are jerks and in the end, this sort of stuff just shouldn't get us all so worked up as it does. Thank you Mecca for the level headed response.

I side with permafrost and Appleril's points primarily for what Holden said - music keeps getting better, so yeah, the 90s may have seemed the best decade in the 90s, the 00s in the 00s, etc. I'd much rather have things like that than the occasional "le wrong generation".

Also I think there's a weird loop where every 12 years is a great one. Doesn't mean ones in between aren't but starting in 67, then 79, 91, 03, and 15 represent basically all of my favorite years in music. I don't know why that really is (any thoughts are more than welcome and the fact that this is probably a random pattern is more likely than anything else), but it seems to be the case.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Decurso

Canada

• Posted: 09/19/2015 02:01
  • Post subject:
1970s for me. The 2010s haven't exactly blown me away. I definitely prefer British music in the 60s and 70s...American since. Although probably less than half of the contemporary music I listen to is either.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 09/19/2015 02:15
  • Post subject:
I have no idea there's still too much I haven't heard.
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 09/19/2015 02:29
  • Post subject:
If I were 20 years in the future looking for good 2010s music, I probably wouldn't find half of my current favourite 2010s albums. The same probably applies to the past. A lot of the albums I might have fallen in love with are likely to be lost in obscurity.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 09/19/2015 02:38
  • Post subject:
nah dude, the guys who did the mutant sounds blog have a radio show on dublab now (listen to this first ep, at least the first song, this hosono & yokoo thing is incredibly sounding) http://dublab.com/vas-deferens-organiza...-09-11-15/

and then there's all the reissue labels and everything, and like archival releases like with Ursula Bogner, she was just a german pharmacist who made some great electronic music privately and now that's out there http://www.discogs.com/Ursula-Bogner-Re...ster/87483

it's all getting surfaced and it puts everything in flux for me
  • Visit poster's website
PsychologistHD

United States

• Posted: 09/19/2015 04:32
  • Post subject:
Hi, my name is shay, and I'll be reviewing the flamewar that just occurred.

Romanelli wrote:
We said the same thing in 1985.

You'll get over it.

So here we have Romanelli presenting the idea that Holden also presented. That music will continue to get better in subsequent decades. Satie obviously took issue with this, and presented his honest, fair opinion with a dubious ending line.

permafrost wrote:
...and the wise sage of all of BEA judging by the fact that you so affirmatively decide what should and shouldn't even be in the website database despite the fact that you spend all of your fucking time filling in information for albums that you don't consider the best ever. so enlighten me.

Now, I actually agree with the ideas that satie originally presented in regards to music, but Jesus fucking Christ, what an aggressive, personal, and rather unnecessary addition. I love the way you hate, Perm (especially me), but c'mon man.

So Romanelli had a response, I guess.

Romanelli wrote:
All I was trying to say was that things that are new can be deceptively seen as greater than they actually are. FROM EXPERIENCE.

Don't necessarily agree here, but I'll get to that later.

Romanelli wrote:
You wanna go to my contributions to this website? I work my ass off on this website for NOTHING. For YOU. So you can have a clean album cover picture and tracklist on your charts of the albums you love. You've been here for four months, and I've been working to help this site for almost 5 years. You call me out on what I do for BEA? You don't like my opinion? Move along. But you have a problem with the work I do here? Okay. Please elaborate. Tell me what sucks about what I do for BEA. Tell us all about how what I do here is bad for BEA. Right here. Right now. Do it.

Waiting, permafrost. Whoever the hell you are.

Romanelli gets a bit personal here, which is understandable now that the nature of the argument has changed. Here Rom kind of gives us a bit of what he does for the website, and largely just kind of defends himself from the attacks made by Satie. And he does this very well until the very end where he adds the "lol no one knows u" argument, which will be the focus of perm's response.

permafrost wrote:
there was no implication of not appreciating your contributions to the completeness of the database.

ive used this image twice today but fuck it

permafrost? wrote:
i was just making a bemused comment about the fact that every single time someone brings up the database you have a pre-packaged rant about all the shit that shouldn't even be on the site in your estimation. if you feel so strongly that things after 2010 are not yet vintage enough to count as best ever albums and that all us teeny-boppers are flooding the database with bullshit, then you should be making a principled stand to not contribute to those releases or shut up about your personal dogma about what does and doesn't belong in the database. i would hope you'd choose the latter option, because your point total clearly indicates that the former choice is more beneficial for the site as a whole.

What the fuck are you even talking about? Is this an anti-rant rant? Should Romanelli stop shouting his stupid unwarranted opinion? Are you wanting him to stop spewing his "personal dogma" over a message board so we can contribute to meaningful discussion? Have you ever BEEN on a message board? That's all it is.

That and dank maymays.

permafrost wrote:
p.s. i constantly bring up that you're out of touch with the forum culture here, and i would think that would be best evidenced in this situation by the fact that literally everyone else here knows that i'm satiemaniac and calls me satie half the fucking time and i've been a forum regular for like a year and a half now on and off. but i don't run around screaming about how my year and a half of service to the site has been instrumental in blah blah blah blah.

Neither does Romanelli (at least where I've seen him). All Romanelli did was qualify himself after you called him into question. I'm not trying to bash you, satie/perm, so I'll move on from here.

Okay so Romanelli's response is all bold, because fuck my eyeballs, right? And he basically talks about how he contributes to the site because he likes, and cares about it. And that he's entitled to his opinion, but it really gets interesting when he talks about his "negative reception".

Romanelli wrote:

I react defensively because pretty much everything said to me here is negative. Why? Because I don't fit the nmold of the ideal BEA user? Because I'm not someone who gets invited to the private skype sessions? Because I have a different view of music from 30-40 years ago because I was actually there? The forums here are a close knit clique, and I believe are the reason why they don't grow. As for my self worth, you have no idea how little self worth I really believe I have, how much my life sucks right now, and how BEA (and helping with album admin as much as I can) helps me to forget just how fucking lonely I am right now. You are entitled to your opinion, and I AM ENTITLED TO MY FUCKING OPINION. I made a comment that maybe the decade you all think is the greatest right now might fade in a few years, and for that, I get a beautiful hour's worth of having to miserably deal with your crap. Whoever you have been in the past...I don't care. I expressed a simple opinion, and I get this crate full of dung from you. Thanks a pantload.

I really feel Romanelli has over-estimated the hate gets on BEA. I get thrown a lot of hate now and then on BEA but it almost always passes within a week or so. That being said, I am a nobody after all. I agree that Romanelli is entitled to his opinion, and he's entitled to his opinion, but by the same logic, permafrost is entitled to shit all over it and smile. And if you have low self-worth and you're being thrown a ton of hate over a music forum, perhaps the internet isn't really for you.

Overall I give this internet rant a 3.4 or so. it wasn't very informative, and was more cringeworthy than entertaining.
  • Visit poster's website
PanduArya

Indonesia

• Posted: 09/19/2015 05:03
  • Post subject:
Applause Applause Bravo, bravo Shay Applause Applause
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 09/19/2015 05:35
  • Post subject:
Half the fun of being young is thinking that most of the best stuff is being made right now and fuck all the crotchety old guys who think they know better. Yeah, you stop thinking that when you're older, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it.