About decades and divisions.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 09/19/2015 05:48
  • Post subject:
secretdad wrote:
nah dude, the guys who did the mutant sounds blog have a radio show on dublab now (listen to this first ep, at least the first song, this hosono & yokoo thing is incredibly sounding) http://dublab.com/vas-deferens-organiza...-09-11-15/

and then there's all the reissue labels and everything, and like archival releases like with Ursula Bogner, she was just a german pharmacist who made some great electronic music privately and now that's out there http://www.discogs.com/Ursula-Bogner-Re...ster/87483

it's all getting surfaced and it puts everything in flux for me

Thanks x10.

If you have any more recommended musical sources, I'd be chuffed to have them. Also, if possible, could you send me a lock of your hair? (Not for any weird reason, I just want to ingest it so that I can absorb your essence.)
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 09/19/2015 09:00
  • Post subject:
lol well i think this is better than hair

here's a list from the guy who runs erstwhile records of a sort of primer for electro-acoustic improvisation, been running thru this a lot and finding lots of really good far out there things http://erstwhilerecords.blogspot.com/20...rimer.html

https://bleep.com/stream/new-releases is a good way to get a quick view of some things that are out now but it is by no means exhaustive, http://www.brainwashed.com/ has some interesting reviews and also posts forced exposures new release list each week. another good store source is mimaroglumusic.com (currently down due to some domain thing but itll be back soon), they're really good about calling attention to great reissues, focused on the fringe stuff.

oh that reminds me also just using discogs generally is fun, like there's this early electronic dude Ilhan Mimaroglu (namesake of the previously mentioned store), and he produced a bunch of jazz albums and the ones I've heard so far have been pretty cool http://www.discogs.com/artist/76038-Ilh...amp;type=C redits so yeah just diving in on stuff like that is a good time.

there's a new podcast that seems promising based out of chicago. http://cast.now-is.org/ it's a show where a dude talks with musicians about a playlist of music selected by the host while its playing. the episode with olivia block is pretty great and I heard a couple things I hadn't that seem really great.

so yeah to sort of steer this back on topic after all that, I'm always getting confronted by cool stuff from every decade, so I'm just like "yeah I still don't know shit" on this.
  • Visit poster's website
newbands1

• Posted: 09/19/2015 13:17
  • Post subject:
It's definitely exciting checking out all the new music from emerging sub-genres and whatnot,but for me personally I find myself less inclined to re-listen to a 10's album compared to older albums where I replay those albums more frequently.
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 09/19/2015 14:22
  • Post subject:
Hopefully this doesn't add to the shit storm.

The 2010's have been good to us overall. Already some of the most incredible and well received albums have come our way. But I think it's a little early to crown it. Come 2020 and the train is still on the tracks, that's fair game.

But not too long ago I thought about this question just on my own and had to give the 1970's the crown. The majority of my album collection is from the 70's and I'm just in awe of how much good shit came out that decade.

Zeppelin, Sabbath, Floyd, Bowie, Queen, Neil Young, Springsteen, Genesis, Stevie Wonder, The Who, the Stones, Yes, Crimson, Tull, Purple, Elton John.... All in their prime, releasing some of the finest music ever. John, Paul, and George all released some great solo material. Dylan released Blood on the Tracks, The Clash released London Calling. Punk rock, prog rock, and metal all really started to take shape in this decade also.

If that makes me some dad rocker then I will gladly accept that title.
Satie

• Posted: 09/19/2015 14:39
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
If that makes me some dad rocker then I will gladly accept that title.

you are so brave Sad

also re: the whole Romanelli thing, i'm just sick of him lumbering around being the objectivity police constantly and complaining vocally about the 2010s and users who add albums from it to the database in bulk. i can go scare up some quotes with timestamps so people can see that this is something that he posts about fairly constantly, and it's one of the few consistent contributions that he makes to the forums.

i genuinely wasn't calling into question the sacrifice Romanelli makes for the site of time and effort or the quality, but no one seems to want to read the post where i clarified that, so i'll restate - I merely find it amusing that someone who pretty consistently will go into threads in the Suggestions forum for example where musical opinions are not being discussed really and drop these provocations directed into the ether of BEA where he bemoans that people add 2010s albums to the site will then go and spend hours of his time making sure that all the 2010s albums are tidy. the only thing i've ever been salty about with Romanelli is that he always finds EPs that i've added that are at the 20 minute mark and does bad mental math or something for how long they are or isn't finding accurate tracklists and always gets my shit deleted. everything else is cool and appreciated, and i mean that genuinely.

my main conceit with my feelings about liking the 2010s is that the accessibility of all decades is pretty equal to me (barring that i'll inevitably find more 2010s obscurities since i'm living through it) and i know that Romanelli would not take any umbrage with my tastes if i gave Nevermind one listen and loved it. i guess i would just prefer people actually being informed on what they're listening to and would rather hear the opinion of someone who listened to a 2010s album ten times and understands it than one who heard Abbey Road once, agreed with its canon placement, and moved on to more dadrock to build up a larger list of albums. i don't necessarily assume that bad faith of anyone here, but i really don't understand how the potential vintage of a 2010s album is relevant unless you're trying to be a historical/canon-building listener. and if you are trying to be those things, then the vast majority of people who are most vocal about shitting on the 2010s are fairly awful at that, as they have a very passing/minimal understanding of jazz music and haven't begun to approach art music.

but of course Romanelli has to take a sarcastic joke about his knee-jerk hatred of the 2010s in every other thread, be disingenuous that he's just trying to share his wisdom and experience, and then break the fucking forums with that eyesore rant instead of just engaging my (admittedly aggressively presented, but you'd have to be blind or an idiot to not see that i was not the first aggressive person ITT lmao) single question of why more years are needed for perspective on taste versus history.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 09/19/2015 16:49
  • Post subject:
permafrost wrote:
literally everyone else here knows that i'm satiemaniac .

What? Shocked
  • Visit poster's website
Silver

• Posted: 09/19/2015 16:55
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
What? Shocked

Norm proving himself to be incredibly out of touch with forum culture. Laughing
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 09/19/2015 16:58
  • Post subject:
For what it's worth, I didn't like Nevermind the first time I heard it.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 09/19/2015 17:35
  • Post subject:
Silver wrote:
Norm proving himself to be incredibly out of touch with forum culture. Laughing

Man I feel old.
  • Visit poster's website
bestdressed

United States

• Posted: 09/19/2015 21:44
  • Post subject:
I still have a lot of music to listen to but I'll say 60s >70s >everything else.

I'l also say American music beats British music by a good margin. The rock of both countries is more even but once you include Jazz and even rap the USA destroys it.
  • Visit poster's website