About decades and divisions.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
luis721

Colombia

• Posted: 09/18/2015 01:36
  • Post subject: About decades and divisions.
Which is your favourite decade of music and do you prefer britain or american music?
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 09/18/2015 02:07
  • Post subject:
1. The 2010s are objectively the best decade in music history.
2. Non-western music is da bomb.com
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 09/18/2015 02:14
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:

Give the 2010's at least a few years to settle in first. And maybe wait until the decade is over first...or at least maybe 3/4 finished?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 09/18/2015 02:55
  • Post subject:
In the past five years, there have been more high quality releases to my ear than any other five year period and in most cases you can extend that to ten year periods.

And I don't need to live three-hundred years to figure out the history of the United States, so why should I have to sit around with my thumb up my ass for twenty before I can say that a record I loved on first listen is as good as I thought it was?

Also, my personal listening habits and preferences: USA > Continental Europe > UK. I have an appreciation for a lot of non-western music, but I'd say about 75-80% of my listening at an absolute minimum over my entire time seriously listening to music has been listening to western music of some form. Recently, that proportion has skewed even further towards the west, as I'm more and more fascinated with contemporary trends in western art music and electronic music. *shrug*
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 09/18/2015 02:59
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
Applerill wrote:

Give the 2010's at least a few years to settle in first. And maybe wait until the decade is over first...or at least maybe 3/4 finished?

Nah, it be da bes.

Not only is the good music itself as prolific as ever, but almost every format you can think of has its own healthy niche. Vinyl, cassettes, live shows, Datpiff tapes, Soundcloud, streaming every rare classical album you can think of, downloading even more than that on What.CD. Heck, even regular CDs are seeing a bit of a resurgence.

There are also so many great genres that have bloomed in the past half-decade. Cloud-rap, meme rap, brostep, vaporwave, future funk, chill wave, BEAcore, wonky, alt-R&B, bubblegum bass, post-country, trap, drill, bop, footwork, juke.... do I need to go further? I'm thoroughly convinced that we have more musical innovation now than we've had at any point in history.
  • Visit poster's website
PsychologistHD

United States

• Posted: 09/18/2015 03:03
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
Romanelli wrote:
Applerill wrote:

Nah, it be da bes.

Not only is the good music itself as prolific as ever, but almost every format you can think of has its own healthy niche. Vinyl, cassettes, live shows, Datpiff tapes, Soundcloud, streaming every rare classical album you can think of, downloading even more than that on What.CD. Heck, even regular CDs are seeing a bit of a resurgence.

There are also so many great genres that have bloomed in the past half-decade. Cloud-rap, meme rap, brostep, vaporwave, future funk, chill wave, BEAcore, wonky, alt-R&B, bubblegum bass, post-country, trap, drill, bop, footwork, juke.... do I need to go further? I'm thoroughly convinced that we have more musical innovation now than we've had at any point in history.

I wanted to make an Aquacrunk record but Flying Lotus told me it didn't exist so now I can't Sad
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 09/18/2015 03:04
  • Post subject:
permafrost wrote:
In the past five years, there have been more high quality releases to my ear than any other five year period and in most cases you can extend that to ten year periods.

And I don't need to live three-hundred years to figure out the history of the United States, so why should I have to sit around with my thumb up my ass for twenty before I can say that a record I loved on first listen is as good as I thought it was?

Also, my personal listening habits and preferences: USA > Continental Europe > UK. I have an appreciation for a lot of non-western music, but I'd say about 75-80% of my listening at an absolute minimum over my entire time seriously listening to music has been listening to western music of some form. Recently, that proportion has skewed even further towards the west, as I'm more and more fascinated with contemporary trends in western art music and electronic music. *shrug*

We said the same thing in 1985.

You'll get over it.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 09/18/2015 03:41
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:

You'll get over it.

so, what's the incubation/exposure period for being allowed to like something? if something came out in 1991 and got album of the year from a lot of publications, does one confirming listen mean it counts as a Best Ever Album? or do i have to listen to Nevermind as many times as you have? is it possible that agreeing with your tastes and preferences means i'm in the right ballpark? if i listen to a new record as many times as you've heard Nevermind, does my opinion count? or is it like a synthesis of stuff, where i need a certain number of years removed + listens? you're the numbers guy, and the wise sage of all of BEA judging by the fact that you so affirmatively decide what should and shouldn't even be in the website database despite the fact that you spend all of your fucking time filling in information for albums that you don't consider the best ever. so enlighten me.
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 09/18/2015 04:01
  • Post subject:
permafrost wrote:
Romanelli wrote:

You'll get over it.

so, what's the incubation/exposure period for being allowed to like something? if something came out in 1991 and got album of the year from a lot of publications, does one confirming listen mean it counts as a Best Ever Album? or do i have to Nevermind as many times as you have? is it possible that agreeing with your tastes and preferences means i'm in the right ballpark? if i listen to a new record as many times as you've heard Nevermind, does my opinion count? or is it like a synthesis stuff? you're the numbers guy, and the wise sage of all of BEA judging by the fact that you so affirmatively decide what should and shouldn't even be in the website database despite the fact that you spend all of your fucking time filling in information for albums that you don't consider the best ever. so enlighten me.

All I was trying to say was that things that are new can be deceptively seen as greater than they actually are. FROM EXPERIENCE.

You wanna go to my contributions to this website? I work my ass off on this website for NOTHING. For YOU. So you can have a clean album cover picture and tracklist on your charts of the albums you love. You've been here for four months, and I've been working to help this site for almost 5 years. You call me out on what I do for BEA? You don't like my opinion? Move along. But you have a problem with the work I do here? Okay. Please elaborate. Tell me what sucks about what I do for BEA. Tell us all about how what I do here is bad for BEA. Right here. Right now. Do it.

Waiting, permafrost. Whoever the hell you are.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 09/18/2015 04:08
  • Post subject:
there was no implication of not appreciating your contributions to the completeness of the database. i was just making a bemused comment about the fact that every single time someone brings up the database you have a pre-packaged rant about all the shit that shouldn't even be on the site in your estimation. if you feel so strongly that things after 2010 are not yet vintage enough to count as best ever albums and that all us teeny-boppers are flooding the database with bullshit, then you should be making a principled stand to not contribute to those releases or shut up about your personal dogma about what does and doesn't belong in the database. i would hope you'd choose the latter option, because your point total clearly indicates that the former choice is more beneficial for the site as a whole.

and jesus fucking christ, really? a "who are you??!?!?!?!?!?" defense? you're coming off as incredibly defensive and reactionary, just like in every thread where you interact with the community at all and people have something to direct to you specifically, positive or negative. you constantly interpret things that are completely innocuous as direct provocations and it's ridiculous.

p.s. i constantly bring up that you're out of touch with the forum culture here, and i would think that would be best evidenced in this situation by the fact that literally everyone else here knows that i'm satiemaniac and calls me satie half the fucking time and i've been a forum regular for like a year and a half now on and off. but i don't run around screaming about how my year and a half of service to the site has been instrumental in blah blah blah blah. you're just an institutionally endorsed Poe sometimes, but where he inflated his self-worth based on liking non-western music, you've inflated your self-worth based on having, vocalizing, enforcing, and being given the platform of a Moderator position to yell about, this incredibly specific dogma of what BEA is to you to the dismissal of anyone else's possible use for it.