Album of the day (#1762): Nevermind by Nirvana

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 09/28/2015 20:58
  • Post subject:
Where is my mind? played on the radio? I thought it was just fight club that did it.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 09/28/2015 20:59
  • Post subject:
I've heard Wave of Mutilation, Here Comes Your Man, and Where is my Mind? on the radio in spades.
  • Visit poster's website
Silver

• Post subject:
permafrost wrote:
We're not really arguing anything. I tried to propose that we actually figure out what we mean by "mainstream" and then everyone just kind of kept saying that Pixies are not well-known, sometimes using circular logic. Being that I genuinely have never met anyone who didn't recognize "Where Is My Mind?" when it came on the radio, I'm fascinated how people have come to this conclusion and am trying to figure out if we're two ships passing on our definitions or if there are parts of the country where "Where Is My Mind?" doesn't get radio play.

I never heard Where Is My Mind played once on the radio where I'm from and most people I ever brought up Pixies to had no idea about it, even if I showed them the song, but that's just from my hometown.

Last edited by Silver on 09/28/2015 21:02; edited 1 time in total
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Post subject:
was it college radio that doesn't count
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 09/28/2015 21:02
  • Post subject:
secretdad wrote:

No, it was not.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 09/28/2015 21:03
  • Post subject:
It's a relative to our own skewed perceptions of what is and isn't mainstream, but i'm correct in saying Pixies are not mainstream in relation to Beyonce, but certainly more mainstream than Natural Snow Buildings
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 09/28/2015 21:05
  • Post subject:
secretdad wrote:

the local "hard rock" station that is the only one to play more than Smells Like Teen Spirit (which also featured on classic rock radio) played Pixies extensively.

AAL2014 wrote:
Jesus Christ. I take back every comment I've posted in this thread. I finally admit that I do not know enough about music or the culture surrounding it. And to say I know as much or will ever know as much as permafrost is ridiculous. I should stop listening to music and having an opinion because it will never be as spot on as his.

Rolling Eyes We're not dealing in clashing opinions at all. I was questioning how you came to one conclusion from the evidence presented. You just assumed a conclusion and then applied it, I think wrongly, to your evidence. It's circular. What opinion I am interested in of yours is what threshold counts as popular and what threshold doesn't. No one in this thread seems to want to actually discuss our underlying assumptions. I understand that if others' have different working assumptions, they will come to different conclusions and have acknowledged this in every post I've made in this thread. I am trying to standardize our assumptions and definitions so we can actually discuss something substantively. Clearly, trying to do this now twice in this thread has not been fruitful. The only thing we're allowed to do on the Internet is argue past each other about completely reconcilable positions because the vast majority of people would rather just be talking to themselves in public, get an upvote, and move on with their day instead of engaging and building our understanding of much of anything. So, I'll post what I should have off the bat and be done here:

Nevermind is a good album that I enjoy. I enjoy other Nirvana albums, but I won't speak of them comparatively, because Nevermind objectively (despite the fact that no quantitative measure of influence has even been suggested because everyone was too assblasted to provide one) is more influential than the others. This is fact.

Pixies are incredibly obscure, and despite the fact that I've never met anyone who hasn't heard "Where Is My Mind?" this is true now because it was true in 1991 when the older members of this forum were scenesters. Culture never diffuses because tweets exist of kids not knowing who Arcade Fire are.
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 09/28/2015 21:18
  • Post subject:
Look, all I'm trying to say is that even though everyone you know may have heard Where is My Mind? (which more than likely isn't true) and the majority of the users on this site praise and have praised the Pixies forever doesn't negate my thought that there were probably a good number of people at the Robert Plant concert who didn't have a clue who the Pixies were, let alone realize their influence. Much less to the degree that they influenced Nirvana's Nevermind.

I wasn't stating scientific facts, nor was I presenting a case which proves the Pixies are obscure or otherwise. I'm more or less agreeing with the fact that they aren't a household name even after many many years of being praised by people you may know.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 09/28/2015 21:22
  • Post subject:
[quote="permafrost"]
Pixies are incredibly obscure, and despite the fact that I've never met anyone who hasn't heard "Where Is My Mind?" this is true now because it was true in 1991 when the older members of this forum were scenesters.

I would imagine this is a generational thing. Your generation grew up with the internet, and therefore more access to music during a time when the Pixies status was growing immensely, so their name is far more recognizable to the younger generation than to any other generation.

So when taking this into account, you could assume that a crowd at a Robert Plant show would be much less likely to be familiar with the Pixies than a crowd at Pitchfork Fest or Coachella
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 09/28/2015 21:25
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:

So when taking this into account, you could assume that a crowd at a Robert Plant show would be much less likely to be familiar with the Pixies than a crowd at Pitchfork Fest or Coachella

Basically my entire point.