Favourite artist

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
luis721

Colombia

• Posted: 10/05/2015 03:20
  • Post subject: Favourite artist
Which is your favourite artist and and how did you meet them?
  • Visit poster's website
PsychologistHD

United States

• Posted: 10/05/2015 04:29
  • Post subject: Re: Favourite artist
luis721 wrote:
Which is your favourite artist and and how did you meet them?

I assume you meant "discover".

Madlib, who I really delved into after being recced Madvillain
  • Visit poster's website
Decurso

Canada

• Posted: 10/05/2015 11:24
  • Post subject:
Led Zeppelin. Like most people I grew up with a general awareness of Led Zeppelin...but I was not a huge fan.

My foster brother gave me a copy of Houses of the Holy for my birthday...I suspect because he didn't really care for it and thought it would score points.

I only even listened to it to be polite. By the end of the summer I had purchased the entire Zeppelin discography.
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 10/05/2015 15:47
  • Post subject:
Rush

My first memory of Rush is seeing my dad's DVD copy of Rush in Rio in his music room. I saw the dragon, the band on stage from far away, and a massive crowd all on the cover and asked my dad if it was any good. He said that it was and they were a 3 piece band who were all pretty incredible. I had been playing drums for a year at the time and had of course heard the name Neil Peart before as most drummers of any age had.

Within a couple weeks I was playing the drums more and more and listening to a couple of the hit Rush songs, Tom Sawyer, Limelight, etc.. and was pretty amazed. It was then I asked my dad if we could watch Rush In Rio. We did and that decided it. I was becoming pretty obsessed with Rush. I could connect with everything they were throwing out there, but not exactly comprehend it being a novice musician at best. But that was a welcome challenge for me.

Neil Peart became my favorite drummer and I'm still blown away by his playing today. Rush is a musician's band, yes, but I think there is something really personal with them. They are just people who became great musicians and even greater friends. You can hear that in the chemistry of the music. I now own pretty much every official release on CD and 4 or 5 on vinyl. They mean a lot to me and I've seen them 3 times live. ALl with my dad and various friends. Each show was special in it's own way, especially the most recent one, R40. They just fucking nailed so many of the old fan favorites. Love em.
Satie

• Posted: 10/05/2015 15:58
  • Post subject:
Webern, for reasons I describe in the #1 blurb on my Overall chart. I discovered Webern in tenth grade I think? I was trying to get started listening to classical music and the people on RYM whose taste I was vibing with seemed to be big fans of his, so I took him to be one of the modern composers I would try out. I started with the Arditti recordings of his chamber works for strings, and it clicked after a listen or two. I liked him quite a bit since then but would mainly return to that disc until senior year of high school when I decided to get Boulez's recordings of his oeuvre, the one that sits atop my overall chart. It was this last summer that that collection clicked as an unimpeachable #1 as opposed to the work of just a very strong composer.
GinSoldier

• Posted: 10/05/2015 18:38
  • Post subject:
I met my favorite artist in a bar. I didn't get her name, but damn could she play.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 12/20/2016 20:25
  • Post subject:
Rush.

A friend put on Moving Pictures and I was forever captivated.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 12/20/2016 21:05
  • Post subject:
Beethoven

I've never met him but I am still holding out hope!

Oh! How did I discover him?

Though I'd heard pieces of some of his more famous works' long before I really "discovered" him (like anybody not living under a rock), I didn't truly start seriously listening to him until about 1996 after seeing an MTV commercial that was making a joke about Bach's music in relation to today's music (or something). I was too enthralled by the Bach they were playing on the commercial to be in on the joke. Very soon after, I purchased a "Best of" compilation of both Bach and Beethoven and never looked back. On this compilation, I was most immediately persuaded by Beethoven's "Waldstein", "Moonlight" and "Appassionata" piano sonatas, as well as his short piano piece "Fur Elise". They weren't the best renditions but at the time I was just happy to hear them.
  • Visit poster's website
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 12/20/2016 22:13
  • Post subject:
I have so many favorites, so I guess I'll tell about my newest favorite. Ever since October of last year, I have been binging on my late beautiful precious Billy Joe Royal, a singer who was played when I was a little kid. His going forward took place on October 6th of last year and on the next day after reading about him, I went looking for what I remembered of him. Now I have just about everything that was put out there from him. I just wish so badly that I had found him sooner. I would've had a much better chance at getting to meet him and to tell him to his face that I love him. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

God bless you and his family always!!!

Holly

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website
amirmishali
esoteur fantastiche

Israel

• Posted: 12/21/2016 11:19
  • Post subject:
Bob Dylan.

Though I did know some Dylan songs before that, the first Dylan album I listened to as a whole was the awful Self Portrait. It took some convincing to get me to listen to other albums. But after listening to Desire, I was finally convinced.
  • Visit poster's website