The Metal Thread

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 10/05/2015 19:12
  • Post subject: The Metal Thread
A companion to this thread, and a general gateway for discussion of the genre at large. It was brought up awhile ago that there hasn’t been a metal thread in a few years and I suppose that’s because of the low amount of folks who’ve explored or are interested in talking about it outside of when we talk about the bigger bands when they show up in the AOTD threads. Basically a general discussion for the metal spectrum of music.

I’ll also be periodically editing in notable album releases of the year, and so forth.

I might edit in an abridged 101, but eh.

Useful Resources:
Encyclopaedia Metallum
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 10/05/2015 19:18
  • Post subject:
I listened through a couple releases each from Bathory and Beherit last night that were pretty incredible. As I've said a couple times around these parts, I'm trying to make my musical focus for October delving more into metal, so this thread comes at a perfect time. I'm gonna be working through a lot of black and death metal and then I'm thinking of reaching back a bit to the former's roots and sampling some more NWOBHM stuff, since I've liked the bit that I've heard decently and know that there are some diamonds in the rough waiting to be uncovered.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 10/05/2015 19:46
  • Post subject:
My favourite metal albums of the year so far (almost all from the doom/stoner end of the spectrum):

Brothers of the Sonic Cloth by Brothers...onic Cloth

Tad Doyle (from Tad) fronting a very heavy, subtly melodic doom metal trio. Describing what it is that I enjoy about metal albums isn't my forte in the slightest, so these will be brief descriptions, but BotSC have a huge sound and make a racket.

Lore by Elder

Working at the proggier end of the stoner rock spectrum, Elder deal in soaring, anthemic songs that meander and evolve as they unfurl over the course of what is often around ten minutes. A little less gnarly than the types of metal records I usually go for, but they're an extremely tight outfit who aren't afraid to let their emotions show. Have gone back and listened to their discography in the wake of this record, but this stands out as the high point of their career so far. Recommended to fans of Crack the Skye-era Mastodon.

Empathy For The Wicked by Ommadon

Skinny wrote:
Probably the heaviest album I've heard this year, Ommadon have really laid it on thick this time, adding heaps of savage, almost catchy riffage to their noisy, atmospheric drone doom. Pulverising drums abound beneath thick, grizzled layers of guitar, resulting in a more abstract (but no less accessible) take on the heavy, apocalyptic doom attempted earlier this year on the sorely underrated Brothers of the Sonic Cloth album (the two records share the same sound engineer, so it's no surprise that they are so sonically similar). These extended jams may tread slightly more predictable paths than previous Ommadon records, or conversely you could argue that they flow more naturally, but regardless of which way you look at it their sound has certainly been beefed up and it's that which makes this record the best of theirs that I've heard yet. Highly recommended to anybody with a passing interest in extreme metal, particularly of the drone/doom variety.

Also, that's one of the best album covers of the year, probably second only to Future's DS2.

Of Ruin by Ghold

Skinny wrote:
a gnarly bass&drum duo who put together disjointed, slightly angular, very heavy doom metal that calls to mind early '90s melvins. they really play with the idea of space in music well - songs can jump from feeling big and open and full of interesting holes to feeling completely filled up, as though submerged and subject to sound pouring into every pore - and they structure their songs in a way that feels unpredictable, leaving me constantly excited to see where they take things next. despite the stylistic variation throughout, there's also something rather unrelenting about this release, not in the sense that it constantly pummels me, but in that its winding heaviness gets a little exhausting, though in a very good way. one of my favourite metal releases of the year, available on ritual sacrifice (home to the likes of bong and 11paranoias).

Ecate by Ufomammut

If you're familiar with Ufomammut, you'll likely know what to expect from this, although I would say that this is arguably their cleanest, most accessible record yet (as accessible as a band like Ufomammut can get, anyway). Sprawling, psychedelic doom metal that finds sludgey guitar riffs going toe-to-toe with spacey synth noodling.

Apparitions by Urfaust

A really interesting release that sees Urfaust attempt a few different genres, from ghostly dark ambient to sinister black metal to lurching doom, all the while maintaining an impressive sense of cohesion, thanks in part to the ominous, macabre vibe that pervades throughout. Should probably be higher on my 2015 chart than it is, actually. Really wonderful stuff.

And then there's the new release from Bong, which I hesitate to label as "metal" (because it isn't, really), but which comes from a band who get pigeonholed as drone metal and is released on the metal label Ritual Sacrifice. It's much less heavy than previous releases, though.

We Are, We Were, And We Will Have Been by Bong

Skinny wrote:
q: are bong the best band operating in britain right now? a: yes, clearly. moving away from the relentless, claustrophobia-inducing, smokey, one-note haze of last year's ridiculously great stoner rock, bong revisit the mellower, more meditational vibe of 2012's mana yood sushai, albeit even gentler than that, stripping away all the metal and leaving just the gorgeous, oceanic drone. the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist, and whilst bong's complexity may be initially non-existent, there's actually a great deal of depth to these long, if breezy, passages, with faraway wiccan drums pounding like jumanji's calling, eastern strings lolling calmly in the background, and subtle tonal changes creating a trance-like vibe as bong search for that timeless, 'suspended in mid air' feeling that debussy and messiaen were so adept at achieving. i could see why the hippie, pre-religion air that their heavy-handed vocal passages bring about could turn some people off, but i find it utterly charming, harking back consciously or otherwise to hawkwind's warrior on the edge of time. in terms of consistency and invention, bong are the best band (in the traditional guitar/bass/drums/vocals sense) in the uk at the moment, and they're showing little sign of letting up.

There are other metal releases that I've enjoyed this year (roughly in order, starting with those I enjoyed most: Blind Idiot God's Before Ever After; Napalm Death's Apex Predator; Kult of the Wizard's The White Wizard; Zu's Cortar Todo; Krallice's Ygg Huur; Bosse-de-Nage's All Fours; Xibalba's Tierra y libertad; Thou & The Body's You, Whom I Have Always Hated; Ghost Bath's Moonlover; Noisem's Blossoming Decay; among others that I'm surely forgetting), but I decided to keep it to those which I liked enough to put on my 2015 chart.

Always open to recommendations (and I'll be using this thread for exactly that purpose), so feel free to send them my way.
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 10/05/2015 19:57
  • Post subject:
My favorite metal albums of this year so far! I'll pull a Skinny and include my notes as well

On Lonely Towers by Barren Earth

Quote:
This is everything progressive death metal can be, or at least, everything I want it to be. First and foremost, the craftsmanship and execution of this album is downright incredible. The virtuosity of the instrumentalists, the composition, everything, it's jarringly great. Vocally, the album is wonderful too, finding the right vocalist can be key for a metal band and Barren Earth have found the perfect fit. This is a massive piece of work, it's just over an hour long, and every minute of it is glorious, you won't even notice that hour go by. Like, no joke, I was listening to this while doing yard work and it made that yard work so much more awesome, and I hate yard work. This album is full of peaks and valleys, from the loud, Opeth-like riffs to the almost 70s prog-like organ to the quiet acoustic sound, there's everything you could want here and more. It's a beautiful work and easily one of the best metal albums I've heard this year.

At the Expense of Humanity by Judicator

Quote:
Sometimes pain brings out the best in an artist. Art is so often used as a catharsis for the artist, a way to pour out their emotions into something almost tangible, a way to express pain or anger or love or joy, that when an extreme event that causes an extreme response happens to an artist, the art can be incredible. We've seen it in The Antlers' album Hospice, in Arcade Fire's album Funeral, and in Cursive's album The Ugly Organ, all of those albums featured artists pouring their souls into music and creating something beautiful. At The Expense Of Humanity is another example of just that. This album is inspired by (and in some cases, seems to be a day-by-day retelling of) lead singer John Yelland's brother's battle with and eventual death from cancer. This would be a great power metal album just on its own, even if the lyrics just dealt with the usual "fighting dragons with a flaming sword of justice" subject matter, but Yelland takes on very personal, very introverted subject matter and puts it in a genre that is known for being supremely energetic and extroverted and absolutely nails it. You would think that something so personal would feel out of place in power metal, but this album will prove you wrong. It's not just the lyrics, the guitar-work is excellent, the riffs are solid, melodically-focused but still powerful, and the solos are far from mindless shredding but more focused, melodic additions to the song. Add in Yelland's excellent vocals to the whole mix and you've got one of the best power metal albums this side of Blind Guardian, certain to become a classic.

Ascension Lost by Thulcandra

Quote:
It's not often in black metal that you hear a lot of emotion and soul. In fact, one of the stereotypes of black metal and black metal musicians is a lack of soul really. Blasting drums, fast guitars, harsh vocals, and all of that can make some great albums, but what Thulcandra do here to really set this album apart is the power behind the guitar playing. It's soulful, it's emotional, it takes a real less-is-more approach, it's not all mindless shredding, every note in each guitar solo has meaning and purpose, and it makes those solos the highlights of virtually every song. Along with that, the riffwork is great, the production is fantastic, the whole album is great all-around. There's a good amount of variety here, it's not all mindless and the same thing over and over again (and black metal can get like that), but rather it's varied and it makes for a really interesting listen and easily one of the best metal releases to happen this year.

You, Whom I Have Always Hated by The Body & Thou

Quote:
This collaboration by The Body and Thou sounds like your doom. It's the soundtrack to a mental asylum where people are on the verge of a murderous, insane rampage any second, you just don't know when. This album doesn't pull any punches, but it's not coming at you full-force either. It moves slowly, but methodically, like it's stalking you, waiting for the right moment to strike, and then it does, and it nails you. The drums, the guitar, the shrieks, they're all huge when they need to be. This album is massive, and it throws a lot into only 27 minutes. It's not messing around with you, it wants to show you the madness inside of it, and you'll get a pretty good idea of it by the end of those 27 minutes.

Haven by Kamelot

Quote:
What is it that you would want from a power metal album? I mean, if you could just piece together a power metal album, what would you want from it? I would say big, bombastic, singable choruses with top-notch guitar work, pounding drums and just enough variety to keep it interesting all the way though. Well guess what? You get exactly that with Kamelot's most recent album. It's kind of predictable in a way, because Kamelot's been doing this for awhile, but it's not predictable in a bad way, if that makes any sense. It's exactly what you would want out of a power metal album, and it doesn't come across as some paint-by-numbers formulaic album, but rather as an interesting, engaging, big album, and any power metal fan will certainly love it.

Vænir by Monolord

Quote:
If you want heavy, then this is where you need to go. Monolord is about as heavy as it gets for doom metal. Thick, huge, lumbering guitars that resemble a slow marching giant, ready to crush everything in its path. But Monolord aren't heavy just for the sake of being heavy, they're heavy with a purpose, and they're not devoid of melody or lead guitar, they've got all that, and it's that blend of the heavy doom with the melody and lead parts that makes this such an excellent doom album and one of the best of the year.

Enki by Melechesh

Quote:
Melechesh are from the Middle East and it's pretty apparent throughout this album. There's Middle Eastern influences all over the place, Arabic scales being thrown around left and right, and it really makes this album stand out. That, and the excellent production. The vocals are double, sometimes triple, tracked and it makes them sound massive. Combined with the well-done harsh black metal vocals that they are, and you've got quite a huge sound. This also isn't your run-of-the-mill black metal. This isn't all just wall of guitars and sixteenth-note drumming with syncopated cymbal crashes, this has a lot of variety to it, especially in the guitar-work, but all over the album really. This is black metal with a groove, you'll find yourself feeling a groove in a lot of these riffs, similar to how you would if you were listening to Pantera or Helmet. It's a really cool album and a really unique one that makes for an awesome experience.

Blossoming Decay by Noisem

Quote:
In just 24 minutes, Noisem pack a bigger bunch on this album than many metal artists can do in twice that time. It's in your face, it's loud, the riffs are attention-grabbing, the solos are nuts, it's everything you want from an extreme metal album, just an attack from start to finish with a couple breathers here and there in the form of cello pieces, which fit pretty well despite being so quiet. On top of all that, the lyrics are actually pretty good too, a lot of brutal honesty about depressing topics, from suicidal thoughts to abandonment. Throw all this together, and you've got one seriously good metal album that, despite its length, is very effective.

Ecate by Ufomammut

Quote:
Ufomammut fool around with so many different genres on this album that it's mind-boggling. At their core, they're still a doom metal band, some call them space doom, whatever you wanna call it. But they don't limit themselves to that, they experiment with stoner metal, sludge, even some Sleep/Earth-like drone metal that's easily on-par with those bands. It all comes together to form this one, big coherent piece that is truly an impressive metal album. "Ecate" will not let you go, no matter how hard you try, it will not. You're in it for the 45+ minutes and it's not gonna let you leave without a fight. It's big, it's aggressive, it's quite an impressive work and creates an amazing atmosphere.

Beyond The Red Mirror by Blind Guardian

Quote:
Man, Blind Guardian have still got it. After all these years, they haven't lost a step. One of the biggest names in power metal, a band that's created some classics, you'd think after a couple decades they'd slow down, but to that, they answered a resounding "Not a chance". Everything you could want from Blind Guardian is here, the crazy guitars, the big, bombastic choruses, the theatrical feel, all of it. Hansi Kürsch's voice is just as good as it's been and Andre Olbrich can still wail on a guitar. It's fantastic stuff and if you're a power metal fan/Blind Guardian fan, you'll love this. Is it "Nightfall In Middle-Earth"? No, of course not, but that's like trying to compare a beautiful house with Versailles. It's still a great album and worth a listen.

The Children Of The Night by Tribulation

Quote:
Metal guitarists often suffer from the need to purposelessly shred. Far too often we hear these supremely talented guitarists who just shred mindlessly for an entire album, evoking no emotion, but simply making you go "Oh wow, that's neat." Sure, it's impressive, but beyond that, there isn't any substance to it. The main focus of metal is the guitar (most often), so how good the guitar-work is on a metal album often greatly affects how good the album is. Tribulation's guitarists are fantastic, they play with purpose, a sense of urgency without speeding through too much. Everything has a place here, it's metal that is well-composed, yet still just awesome metal that makes you wanna headbang. If you're looking for some sweet guitar, look no further than this.

Aria Of Vernal Tombs by Obsequiae

Quote:
There's a lot of metal out there, whether it's death metal, black metal, folk metal, whatever, there's a ton of it out there, and a lot of it sounds similar. So how do you stick out in a genre that is over-saturated? You carve out your own unique identity, and that's what Obsequiae have done. They have a medieval metal feel to them, and the fact that Tanner Anderson plays expertly and also plays a boatload of different instruments. What really sticks out is the use of the harp, which is not exactly something that you'd expect to find in a black metal album, but it's there, and it fits. In fact, the way the guitar is played, it's almost harp-like in its technical approach. This isn't an album that's going to blast you away, it's not some kind of assault, but rather it's an album that wants to gently caress you and envelop you, it's an album of subtleties, of carefully crafted melodies, an album that's a bit reserved for a metal album, and it's one that's worth listening to.

Lore by Elder

Quote:
This is one of those albums that you've really got to listen to a few times to really appreciate. A perfect blend of psych and stoner rock (even arguably metal), Elder have created an intricate, complex, and beautiful work of art. The riffs are great, the energy is contagious, the album is powerful. Whether there's vocals or not, it doesn't really matter, everything about this album is just downright impressive, from the composition to the musicianship. It's an album that you should delve deep into, that should be experienced from beginning to end with no interruption. Let Elder's thick, heavy guitars and energetic riffs enrapture you while you just stare in awe as if seeing a mountain rise like a stalagmite out of the ground.

We Are, We Were, And We Will Have Been by Bong

Quote:
Bong know how to make some drone doom music. Drone is all about milking a couple notes for a long period of time (sometimes only one note). That can get really really boring if it's not done well, but Bong create an atmosphere, they create this drone environment that surrounds you and envelops you. Immersing you in this thick fog of just a few, drawn-out notes. Everything is placed meticulously, drums here, guitar there, all to create a piece as a whole, a major composition. This album is the equivalent to staring at a patterned carpet until the pattern starts to get blurrier and blurrier and the whole thing fills up your vision and begins twisting and turning until you forget what it looked like at first and you don't even care because you're just so lost in the beauty of whatever you're looking at.

Endless Forms Most Beautiful by Nightwish

Quote:
I've never understood why power metal is perceived as so uncool. I mean, I get that it can be a bit over-the-top sometimes (most of the time), but it's big, it's bombastic, it's soaring melodies and shredding guitars, that can be so cool! And yet it gets a horrible reputation as some kind of lower form of music, but listen to Nightwish and then tell me that power metal isn't any good. Nightwish has been around for quite a while making pretty solid power/symphonic metal, and this is one of their best yet. The last track is quite a masterpiece, a long, 20+ minute piece that doesn't feel long at all. The orchestral arrangements, the vocals, the guitar work, it's all almost flawlessly executed, and it makes for a huge, powerful album.

The Crash And The Draw by Minsk

Quote:
It's really the sign of a great album when you're sitting there saying "Wow this album is long, but I have no idea what could be cut from it to make it shorter". This album is almost 80-minutes long, which, if we're being perfectly honest, isn't that insane for a metal album, especially a post-metal/atmospheric sludge album. But still, 80 minutes is a long time, but the problem is, there's nothing to be cut. Everything on this album is good, it all feels necessary to really create the idea that this album is trying to convey. The atmosphere created by Minsk is fantastic, it's that great blend of post-rock elements with sludge that make it such an interesting and engaging album. It washes over you and takes you through all its peaks and valleys almost seamlessly. It's a long listen, but it's a worthwhile one.

Lucifer I by Lucifer

Quote:
It's really easy for a doom metal band to get lost in the vast landscape of retro-doom metal. There are a ton of bands out there who release albums with cool, retro album covers and sound like Black Sabbath clones, and some of them are good, some are boring, and most all just sound the same. At first glance, you might think that that's what Lucifer is, another Black Sabbath clone, but they're not. Certainly they take some influence from Sabbath (how could they not?) but they also take a lot of influence from bands like Candlemass or Electric Wizard or My Dying Bride, and what that ends up being is a really solid doom metal album that stands out from the crowd. The guitar-work is absolutely excellent, the riffs are big and lumbering and the solos are really well done. The vocals from Johanna Sedonis are great, and one might think that a woman's voice might be too high for doom metal, but that is not the case at all, Sedonis proves to be as capable as anyone. The whole album has a great atmosphere and really cool feel and is definitely one of the stronger doom releases from the year.

Desire Will Rot by Fuck The Facts

Quote:
It's odd how extreme metal can get so boring sometimes. You would think that something as fast and active as metal wouldn't necessarily be boring, but it can be. Far too often death metal or black metal albums start off in full-blast, pounding drums, fast guitars, growling vocals mode and never let up. Each song ends up sounding like the one before it and before you know it, the album is over and you have no idea which song was which. Fuck The Facts doesn't do that, they start off that way, but it doesn't stay that way, rather the album contains quite a bit of variety and FTF are able to create quite a complete, cohesive album. FTF's technical ability is pretty incredible as well, with incredible solos and fantastic, almost jazz-like grooves, and that combined with the fact that this album is actually interesting (and not just some mindless shredding or something) makes for quite a good metal album.

Valis by Mastery

Quote:
This is taking black metal to new heights, pushing it to its limits. This is a hard listen, mostly because it's insane. It's black metal with a healthy dose of "wtf just happened?" You've got the classic black metal assaulting drums and harsh vocals, but the guitars are all over the place, and even the drumming switches things up a bunch. Time signatures are more of a nice idea rather than something stringently followed. It's an intense album and difficult to pierce through, but really really interesting.

A Northern Meadow by Pyramids

Quote:
Whatever the line between post-metal and post-rock is, that's where Pyramids live. They walk that fine line like a tightrope, sometimes doing post-metal, sometimes doing post-rock, it's a mix, and that's what makes this album so cool. The vocals dance between harsh screams and melodic singing, all heavily reverbed, with big, powerful instrumentation, making you feel like you're hearing someone shout in a wind tunnel, everything blowing at you at full power. It's a big album, if anything, it's huge, it's a monolithic wall of sound coming at you. Pyramids sound like they're finding their way through post-metal, post-rock and a little bit of shoegaze, wandering through the genres taking what they like from each. What this album shows you is that something can be loud and heavy, and still be beautiful, like watching a majestic wave in the ocean crash on the shore.

Four Phantoms by Bell Witch

Quote:
If you wanna talk about defining doom metal, then look no further than here. This is all about death and doom, in fact, each track is a different way to die. There's suffocation, there's immolation, there's drowning and there's falling forever, with each song outlining the different ways four phantoms die in horrible, terrible ways. Along with the exceptionally depressing subject matter, is the massive music. It's like the sound of your own impending doom, slowly approaching in the distance. As if it's some kind of deadly storm that you can see is miles away, but it's coming, and it's not stopping, and there's nothing you can do but just wait for it. Bell Witch excellently blend this gigantic, monolithic-sounding doom with dashes of post-rock and even a bit of vocal melody, and it all comes together to create this huge, powerful, boulder of an album that comes rolling towards you and it's not gonna stop until it crushes you.

A Umbra Omega by Dødheimsgard

Quote:
So if you're unfamiliar with Dødheimsgard, they're pretty unique. You could call them black metal or experimental metal and you'd likely be right, but whatever they are, they're extraordinarily interesting. On this album, the music is all over the place, but not in a bad way. It's weird, often times when an album seems to lose direction in a song, it makes it a bad song, but when Dødheimsgard does it, it makes it weird and different. They're not losing direction, they're just jerking you around in directions you're not expecting. Between Vicotnik's insane screaming and the plethora of instruments featured on this album (including a saxophone and brass section), this is an album that will leave an impression on you. There's not much like it.

The Book Of Souls by Iron Maiden

Quote:
There are a few constants in the world. Death, taxes, and new Iron Maiden albums. They're still going, with just about all of the original members too, which is probably even more impressive, and probably the most impressive of all is that their albums are still pretty good. Bruce Dickinson, especially, is fantastic, his voice, while it has aged, is still strong, and obviously Adrian Smith and Dave Murray are fantastic guitarists, and that hasn't changed at all. Perhaps the most amazing thing about Iron Maiden is their refusal to just do the same thing over and over again, the constantly challenge themselves. This is a double album and it's not just a bunch of low-quality Iron Maiden tunes, which they could've easily done if they wanted, they could have made plenty of money just pumping out formulaic Iron Maiden songs, but they didn't, they've created an impressive 90+ minute album. It's engaging, it's interesting, and it's really well done, especially for a band that's been putting out albums for 35 years now.

The Harmonic Passage by Winterage

Quote:
Power metal often includes some orchestration, though sometimes I feel like that orchestration can be under-utilized. You can really create something cool when you blend metal with classical music, that's what power metal basically is and that's what makes it awesome. Winterage have a great balance of orchestration and metal, the really utilize the orchestra they have making for a really grandiose album. The guitar work is stellar, really really impressive, and the vocals are fantastic. You'll hear the lead singer pop up into the 4th and 5th octave ranges, which is downright crazy for a guy.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Goodsir

• Posted: 10/05/2015 23:19
  • Post subject:
I'm really interested in getting deep into black metal and its subgenres this winter. If anyone could give me a "starter pack" (maybe around ten albums or so) for each black metal subgenre it'd be highly appreciated. Once I listen to them all I'll report back. (sorry if I'm asking too much)
Precedent

• Posted: 10/06/2015 00:02
  • Post subject:
i don't really like writing about music too much anymore, but anyone who has looked at my overall knows that i love metal.

my favorite atmosphere in music is that of winter, and metal works well with that

here are my favorite metal albums of 2015 thus far:

The Book Of Souls by Iron Maiden

The Anthropocene Extinction by Cattle Decapitation

Meliora by Ghost (Sweden) (if you consider this metal)

Sleep At The Edge Of The Earth by Wilderun

In Times by Enslaved

Aria Of Vernal Tombs by Obsequiae

Stellar by Der Weg Einer Freiheit

The Great Bazaar by Subterranean Masquerade

Endless Forms Most Beautiful by Nightwish

Coma Ecliptic by Between The Buried And Me

Juggernaut: Alpha by Periphery

The Ark Work by Liturgy

Under The Red Cloud by Amorphis

Scar Sighted by Leviathan

Juggernaut: Omega by Periphery
RockyRaccoon

United States

• Posted: 10/06/2015 15:51
  • Post subject:
Also add this to the list of the best metal albums of the year:

Eternal by Stratovarius

Quote:
There are a few juggernauts in the world of power metal. Bands like Helloween, Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, these groups have been around forever and have released some of the best power metal albums of all time. Stratovarius is one of those groups, their output in the 90s is some of the best power metal around, and now they're here with their 16th album. Whereas some bands like Helloween and Gamma Ray have just kind of lost all inspiration and are just churning out whatever, Stratovarius has maintained their strength and have shown on this album that they can still consistently put out great music. The very fact that their 16th studio album is just about as good as anything they put out in the 90s is itself quite a statement. From a performance perspective, this album is great, somehow Timo Kotipello is still able to sing exceptionally well, like his voice has barely aged, and the guitar work from Matias Kupiainen is fantastic. This isn't anything different for Stratovarius, it's nothing exceptionally original, but it's just a really strong, good power metal album from one of the best bands in the genre.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon

United States

• Posted: 10/06/2015 15:55
  • Post subject:
Goodsir wrote:
I'm really interested in getting deep into black metal and its subgenres this winter. If anyone could give me a "starter pack" (maybe around ten albums or so) for each black metal subgenre it'd be highly appreciated. Once I listen to them all I'll report back. (sorry if I'm asking too much)

Here's some of my favorite black metal albums:

Nux Vomica by Nux Vomica

At The Heart Of Winter by Immortal

Far Away From The Sun by Sacramentum

Bergtatt – Et eeventyr i 5 capitler by Ulver

Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk by Emperor

OM by Negură Bunget

777 Cosmosophy by Blut Aus Nord

llll by Farsot

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 10/06/2015 15:59
  • Post subject:
Precedent wrote:
i don't really like writing about music too much anymore

You wrote about music?
Satie

• Posted: 10/06/2015 16:00
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
You wrote about music?

he has a music blog my man (though, fair cop, i haven't ever read or seen a full review from Precedent)