Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 11/27/2022 17:23
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
That's an interesting idea, though this diary was always supposed to be about music. It is interesting none of us have made film/tv/etc. diaries before. The only thing I can think of is the "best paintings" thread in general? I guess we didn't want to saturate that subforum with diaries? Laughing

Laughing

I say go for it! Speaking of which, would you prefer if I just keep my thread focused on metal and then create another one for mellower stuff? I've got a couple of metal and mellow albums that have been kicking around the old brain. BUT, I really like the current metal discussion going re: 1984. <I'll probably listen to that Europe album in the next day or so, and I'm also itching to talk about Jag Panzer. Comparing Omen and Jag Panzer will be helpful to me. >
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 11/27/2022 17:32
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
Laughing
I say go for it! Speaking of which, would you prefer if I just keep my thread focused on metal and then create another one for mellower stuff? I've got a couple of metal and mellow albums that have been kicking around the old brain. BUT, I really like the current metal discussion going re: 1984. <I'll probably listen to that Europe album in the next day or so, and I'm also itching to talk about Jag Panzer. Comparing Omen and Jag Panzer will be helpful to me. >
I think it'd help with the whiplash, but that's up to you. With this thread I want to focus on albums and go the route you do (change the title when I want to cover a different aesthetic/era/etc). I want to increase user engagement with my diaries but I'm also not sure how either, I kind of envy the kind of engagement you get in your thread at times.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 11/27/2022 17:37
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Repo wrote:
Laughing
I think it'd help with the whiplash, but that's up to you. With this thread I want to focus on albums and go the route you do (change the title when I want to cover a different aesthetic/era/etc). I want to increase user engagement with my diaries but I'm also not sure how either, I kind of envy the kind of engagement you get in your thread at times.

I think it's just consistency. I try to post at least once per week so that it stays fresh and people know it's an active thread.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 11/27/2022 18:30
  • Post subject:
I tried posting more consistently and got less engagement, but maybe that's just timing.

I don't know. Don't care too much, but it does limit my own interest sometimes. Anyway.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 02/04/2023 09:34
  • Post subject:

Link

Off Second Death by Mansion. Ethereal Wave-touched Doom Metal, which seems to be a growing trend since people like Chelsea Wolfe and Emma Ruth Rundle got popular in the last half-decade. This is probably the best song of the record, though its worth listening to the whole album as well. Atmospheric, almost post-metal dynamics alongside the ethereal wave and doom metal foundation. Good shit.

Link

From Wothrosch's Odium, we have blackened sludge. Can't say I've run into this sound so perfectly in harmony in a long time. Has the tremolo and pinch harmonics you expect in black metal with the guitar tone and raw aggression of traditional southern sludge. Has a lot of teeth. One of my favorites of 2023 so far give the album a look if you're into traditional sludge like Iron Monkey or Eyehategod but with a more black metal twist.

Link

This one is from an album that's largely inconsistent. Repulsive Nature by Re-Buried was still a somewhat enjoyable experience for me as I like traditional Death Metal (Necrophagia, etc.) well enough. Nothing inventive, but the song here shows some promise for the band.

Link

Very solid showing from Ruinthrone, a progressive power metal group with folk metal trappings. Very much in line with Wuthering Heights (the band, obviously) in terms of musical philosophy but also the vocalists inflections. The Unconscious Mind of Arda is a good enough album, but there are a lot of weak showings and weird sequencing. Worth a look if you are looking for a good prog-power outfit.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 02/04/2023 10:01
  • Post subject:

Link

I woke up this morning and chose violence. Also I listened to some stuff last night in a listening party with Trex and came out with more to think about. Today I'm going to start talking about Consecration of the Spiritüs Flesh by Esoctrilihum.

What a fucking record this was. Contender for the strongest extreme metal of 2022, or at least that I've heard up to this point. The black metal is adjourned with war metal and death metal elements to create an assault on your brain that is equal parts delightful and overwhelming. I truly haven't felt delightfully exhausted since listening to Gorguts for the first time. Currently have this ranked 4 out of 5 stars on rateyourmusic and I imagine it has the possibility to grow up a half star if some of the other songs grow on me. Good shit. Listen to it. Please.

Link

From the archives, I present Vai/Gash, a release that Vai has been sitting on for around thirty years. Not as noodly as Vai's solo works, Vai/Gash is a collaboration between Vai and his late friend, Johnny “Gash” Sombrotto. A good balance of good old hard rock of the time and the LA sleaze of glam metal. Originally made around 1991 or so, I think this thing would've been a modest hit had it hit the airwaves. Just listen to Gash's voice. My word.

Link

Into the Void by Trastorned is a long time coming.

The biggest pleasant surprise of me and Trex's listenalong--these guys are from Chile and they are very angry. There is one lyrical theme on Into the Void and that is DEATH. The blackened thrash outfit cites influences such as Vio-Lence, Exodus, and Forbidden; and you can hear it! Pretty straight-forward thrash with blackened elements (tremolo, etc.) but its really well executed, which makes sense because they've been working on a proper full length for over a decade. The result is fast, heavy, and angry. I'd love to hear this live.

Last edited by mickilennial on 02/05/2023 04:00; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 02/04/2023 10:24
  • Post subject:

Shadowfall by Silver Bullet

Release Date: 2023
Genre(s): Symphonic Power Metal
Origin: Finland

First proper review of 2023 and not just first impression-laced microreviews. Cool, right?

In the vein of Finnish legends such as Stratovarius and Sonata Arctica, Silver Bullet draws from Finland’s large pool of fondness for power metal. Sometimes incorporating progressive metal into the mix, Silver Bullet is pretty much a case of what you see is what you get.

Bruno Proveschi replaces Nils Nordling, and I’m going to be honest I think that’s the choice to make. That said, there’s not a lot of information out there yet about this record. I don’t know who produced it so I can’t wax on how it's produced by a melodic metal genius or anything, all I can tell you on the front of the tin is that there’s a new singer and that the band more-or-less has been doing their thing quietly since around 2008. By my ears, Nils had a deeper voice and less of the dynamic range that Proveschi shows us on this record right out of the gate. I see flashes of someone like Swedish singer Tommy Karevik or Spain’s Alfred Romero in Proveschi which is very good company to be in.

Overall, I’m impressed. Power Metal is by far my favorite genre of metal. I love speedy, flourishing guitarwork. I’m a big fan of grandiose melodies and harmonies, with or without the accompaniment of soaring keyboard work. If it feels good–it is good. Silver Bullet succeeds in both categories here and I just want more. Not a single song on this record inspires apathy or millennial cynicism, and in recent years I have been feeling more-and-more of it. It’s unfortunate, but the fact Silver Bullet can transport me back to the feeling I had when I discovered Sonata Arctica, Gamma Ray, or Stratovarius for the first time is invaluable. I think this record will be climbing my spotify queue for many months to come and possibly climb my top 20 power metal albums of all time ranking, which I’m honestly pretty surprised that I have the confidence to say with such zeal.

It's a keeper.

Favorite Track:Soul Reaper

Last edited by mickilennial on 03/09/2023 10:48; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 02/04/2023 16:57
  • Post subject:
oooo if you're citing Stratovarius and Sonata Arctica with that album, you're speaking my language, I'm definitely gonna add it to my list.

btw would be interested in your thoughts on this if you haven't heard it yet:

The Weight Of Remembrance by Tribunal

Just gave it a listen and it's some pretty solid, enjoyable doom

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 02/04/2023 17:40
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:

Link

Into the Void by Trastorned is a long time coming.

The biggest pleasant surprise of me and Trex's listenalong--these guys are from Chile and they are very angry. There is one lyrical theme on Into the Void and that is DEATH. The blackened thrash outfit cites influences such as Vio-Lence, Exodus, and Forbidden; and you can hear it! Pretty straight-forward thrash with blackened elements (tremolo, etc.) but its really well executed, which makes sense because they've been working on a proper full length for over a decade. The result is fast, heavy, and angry. I'd love to hear this live.

Love all the write-ups, Gowi!!! Just threw this one in my queue!!! Twisted Evil

<I've never heard of Forbidden so might have to check them out as well! Very Happy >
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 02/05/2023 01:13
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
Love all the write-ups, Gowi!!! Just threw this one in my queue!!! Twisted Evil

<I've never heard of Forbidden so might have to check them out as well! Very Happy >

Really? Forbidden are a pretty big name. How fluent/well-read are you on the classic thrash era (1980-1995) overall? Is it something you only know the big names with some extras or?
  • Visit poster's website