View previous topic :: View next topic
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 02/16/2018 14:48
  • Post subject:
16/02

Weezer (The White Album) by Weezer
If you told me a weezer album from the 10's would become my favorite from theirs, I would tell you're nuts and probably go out there jangling to Buddy holly, but in the last days after organizing my chart I simply noted, wow I really like this above blue album and pinkerton for example, and It felt like a lovely bird just burst out of an egg and began to twee twoot power-pop songs. Now I have been addicted to the blue album for quite a while and it was one of the first albums I have ever bought and listened in full, and while the white album doesn't have high heights such as Buddy Holly and Say It Ain't so, or the good life (in the case of pinkerton), it feels much more authentic and alive then these others two. I have been arguing quite a while about the blue album tracklist order (who the hell opens with my name is jonas) and I have found pinkerton's consistency to be flawed with that much distortion going through my ears, but the white album seems like the perfect balance between both glasses, and it got rivers on his best composing mood, of course songwritting might not be that top notch (but well, we're talking about other albums which contains tracks about half-japanese girls and being tired of sex, so there's not much argument to play over here), but it contain such energy and authenticity compared to their post-pinkerton projects. I think the definitive misstep here is without a doubt thank god for girls, in which Cuomo attempts to rap over a mediocre rock beat and an icky chorus, while California girls and Do you wanna get high are a lightning shout back to the past, both in the instrumentation and songwriting process, and endless bummer a lovely butterfly-like ballad which manages to capture all the pre-fall (or would it be the post-summer) depressive mood, and turn it into a youth filled shout. Of course it wasn't this easy to get into, not saying it's a high caliber Experimental power pop record (although I always thought about how it would play but anyways), but it gets glued in your brain like a lollipop which you can lick all the time and still feel it's sweet saliva running to your stomach, definitively one of those art pieces which I don't know and almost don't notice I am coming back, but subconsciously love it to death, It smells like sand and strong waves, and I love beaches and lemonades and bittersweet afternoons, so they nailed it. Welcome back lads.
Antonio-Pedro

Brazil

• Posted: 02/18/2018 02:44
  • Post subject:
17/02

Kill Bill - Ramona
Going to take a quick one since I'm on a rush to get to the cotton candy store and get my blood full of sugar, Haven't added this to the database yet, but it's my first listen and I'm totally blown away by this mixtape, lovely hip hop album with such a chilling and spacial atmosphere, like gazing the rainy night alone in the third floor, the production is pretty good considering this is one of Bill's earliest records, and the rapping is not bad, the feats being very well placed in some of the songs, it deals mostly with introspective themes like mediocrity and emotional health falling off the mainstream rap spectrum, was very surprised this wasn't added earlier, could swear some of you would be digging it. Also it has many references to scott pilgrim so I'm totally sold out here, guilty I admit.

Recommended to my chaps: DBZ, Hazeytwilight, Eyezayzay and people who enjoyed Scum fuck, flower boy because this feels very tyler-like, and we all love that jazz

Link

Antonio-Pedro

Brazil

• Posted: 02/27/2018 01:35
  • Post subject:
Gonna take a little break from my saturday night log-in posts guys, classes have been coming back firing from the clouds, so I will be posting less regularly here, sometimes only if I find something hella exploding i might pump my imagination and brainpower here, but now my schedule has bee a little bit brittle boned, also would love some recs for the future!

Love you all, take care Smile
Antonio-Pedro

Brazil

• Posted: 03/17/2018 22:03
  • Post subject:
17/03

Little Dark Age by MGMT

GO FUCK YOURSELF

YOU HEARD ME RIGHT.
Roads with dead end streets in which weird and wounded ghosts live on by, throw a stone the first one that hasn't felt spooked when heard about the demons and the visceral creatures that live on the depths of the underworld. MGMT's music always struck me with such an eerie and halloween-like vibe, in a way like they were trying to always to hit us with some galactic and otherworldly stories and psychedelic sysnesthethic aesthetic that was masterfully crafted on their debut Oracular spectacular. But I always had a step behind with Oracular as I felt it was mostly built around as castles of sand for the lead singles, in a way that everything there just pales in comparison and looks sorta odd (like inserting alien blood into a worm heart). So as you probably would think I wasn't sleeping on the kilo metrical ticket line for Little dark Age when it was announced, since their Self-titled album dragged me through a lot of hype curves, and fell off as a collage of experimental attempts of deconstructing their own pop structure. By the lightning, LDA hits you with a bat with she works out too much dressing you out on aerobics lycra clothing, with a retrowave atmosphere which evolves the entire record like a star gift paper, it sounds like it just came from a fitness channel directly broadcasted into your ears, welcome to the shitshow as the song opens. LDA feels like an astral successor to MGMT (actually it sounds more like its twin unknown brother that happened to live in a alternate dimension) flowing like a solid intermediate point between their structural experimentation and their pop refinement, not allowing the album flow into a sea of mediocrity in the non-singles song (which is actually a really good achievement since I couldn't notice myself which of the singles were actually singles). And in the end "Hand it over" feels like such a fitting closer with its lightweight as bubble plastic progression and bittersweet warm hands evolving all over your body, slowly surrendering into the flow of the river, it's always harder to fight the inevitable. Living a Virtual nightmare with x-ray goggles infected by a radioactive junkie, look out for what is actually there and what isn't, the sun doesn't look too hot as today as it was one day, as I don't remember my shadow having this kind of silhouette.

EDIT!:

Link

Their best song is actually a cover
Antonio-Pedro

Brazil

• Posted: 03/29/2018 18:38
  • Post subject:
29/03

Music Has The Right To Children by Boards Of Canada
Excerpt from something I wrote while in university and listening to this record twice while trying to manage to study the human anatomy:

The taste of sunshine into an ice cream, old VHS Tapes with loops of your childhood. Futuristic streets and roads of Europe filled with Retrocolateral ads of failed companies, lucid dreaming inside a kaleidoscope with your best friends surfing between southern lights and billboard leds in a single night. IDM is a such a weird genre, not because of the music it contains only, but mostly because of what its name could possibly mean, how is something intelligent, does it imply it lives with its own IQ, or has its own decisions? It actually could mean that the song is able to sustain by itself like it was a collective body of work that was able to feedback itself with the music around it, like some kind of sunflower into a multi-colored garden of sound, smells so sweet still so cherish. Music has the right to the children lives in a past dimension, this is what I like the most of it, it feels in a different sphere of existence, one of which we all were in a part of our lives, the sounds of existent moments photographed with analogue cameras and digest into heavenly computers with nostalgic value added into all over it. Do you guys remember those old youtube videos in which they used to add songs to it to retro videos they would find in their parents tapes, it feels like some kind time capsule that keeps being buried and as much as the time passes it keeps giving us that lovely breeze of authentic air, it's like a watermark of its time, something you can bring your mind to such a interesting joy to recognize those patterns that are all locked into your subconscious, and suddenly come to click into a weird recognizable ecstasy of art and memory. Well MHTRTTC feels like collected sounds from these lost pieces of our own memories and experiences that come to emerge and blend into a spectrum of elastic recognizance of collective memories. And lies here a special mention to one of the most beautiful and one of my favorite songs of all time "ROYGBIV" which is the conjunct of all the colours of the rainbow that blow into different perception sequences, bursting itself out of joy and brightness, sounds like the culmination of all what Music has the right to the children tries to portray, sequenced memories of the past all blended into an infinite cosmic cream-dream. It's so good to be a kid

Link

Antonio-Pedro

Brazil

• Posted: 03/31/2018 16:19
  • Post subject:
31/03

The Disintegration Loops by William Basinski
This is the most beautiful tour de force ever, in fact it might be one of the most beautiful things ever. I'm so happy I swallowed this last night, I don't even remind sleeping before the live versions came in.
Loops loop loo lo d
Antonio-Pedro

Brazil

• Posted: 05/19/2018 15:19
  • Post subject:
19/05

Twin Fantasy by Car Seat Headrest
Bitches I'm back by popular demand. This album here, the 2011 lo-fi version (that you should hear in 96kbps with $2 earbuds for true lo-fi experience) of course not the renewed hi-fi pop mess, is my go to album almost everyday, I just don't know why, I'm relating to almost everything here in such an aural level, is this what growing up feels like, the detachment from all our emotional youth ghosts? And suddenly diving into a boring and tiring rotine that is draining all the we could be having? I don't really know, but Twin fantasy has been providing a lovely route for me to feel as numb as possible between these both islands, trying to mantain contact with pre-historic radio signal. I'm in love also, I'm thinking about bodys every single day also, this is a moment of confuison lads. but it's a fun mess, let's dance and enjoy while we still have a good amount of calcium on our bodys.
Antonio-Pedro

Brazil

• Posted: 07/12/2018 02:50
  • Post subject:
11/07

R Plus Seven by Oneohtrix Point Never
I don't even know WHat I really thought about this record in terms of objective valour (corrected into my own subjective inner state) but this is something really intriguing and reather beautiful if you look to it with x-ray glasses, taking a deep look into its veins and bones. A blend of little artsy hiccups and deep breaths transported into music, it's like watching a moving kadinski dream, in which you don't really know what you're so pleased about but its ear-comfort mantains you closed into it, aestheticly challenging, this has got me spinning into closed eyes and long span of focus to give all of its traits a go, but I think I should just let myself go into this synesthetic avalanche carrying me away into this art show. I don't know what this means but I like it, and that's the main spirit I always want to have with most of musique. Good night FOlks
Antonio-Pedro

Brazil

• Posted: 08/11/2018 02:27
  • Post subject:
I should be writting here more I guess, I don't know if studies have really catch up to me but I haven't been blown away by most of music these days, even though I don't really stop listening to it whenever I'm heading to uni and going back, I'm afraid it's becoming something monotone and just becoming an habit more than something that is suposed to be fun.
Antonio-Pedro

Brazil

• Posted: 06/17/2019 23:15
  • Post subject:
It's been so long...

17/06/2019

In The Court Of The Crimson King by King Crimson

The main point in which I think King crimson is different from its progressive descendants and allies is how well they embrace their artsy side pulling their more experimental site closely to their sound, which means that songs like 21st Century Schizoid Man manage to pull different faces of their musical skills, the first part a well written ode to a monument, a utopia of a dystopic future, in which it courses along with philosophical questions about existence in a post-modern battlefield warfare. But while the song progresses it unveils its velvet artsy side, feels like different arms grow, like a ultraviolet octopus swimming in the silent dark sea of the midnight, the constant time change and their precisely timed silence breaks only add up to this experience. It's intense but still something meticulously calculated, like a controlled chaos, a magician with numerous powers teaching her students, the saxophone floats uncontrollably from one side of the ear to the other giving the sensation of a certain disorientation but fear nothing little child, this is only a twisted fairy tale, it's twisted of how human it sounds, so differently from the mystical atmosphere created by most progressive artists by the time this album was released, it certainly paved the way for their most antiquate experimentation. Although this description makes it looks like this album is based solely on disoriented frequencies, songs like "I talk to the wind" and "Epitaph" arouse the most melodically sensible ears and display their comfort zone, such a pleasant atmosphere, something that puts you to close your eyes and float into flute's and guitar solos, both of them facing Robert Fripp's incredible musical abilities, like complex spiderwebs slowly fading into existence and catching you. In The court is not a long album, it rest only in the quality and consistency of its 5 songs, which flow in such a subtle way, it feels like a book, different chapters that leaves no cliffhangers between songs, and makes the best of them by gluing them into each other like Epitaph. This consistency is so effective because there is no space to get disperse between the songs, so it makes all the journey even more attractive and remarkable, surely by the first time we hear it we will be able to extract some remarkable points from it, it lays such dramatic and intense sound, yeah it sounds terribly outdated, but it's weird how it still could be done today, it feels fresh in the same way, I guess this is the most charming point of this record, it only shows how much ahead of their time this actually was. The most abstract point of the record is for sure the mysterious moonchild, it's one of the songs you either find it a masterpiece or a piece of garbage, there's no midpoint for it because mostly of its enormous length and its experimental site for improvisation in which is not even a little bit inviting to most comfortable listeners. most of its 10 minutes of improvisation is spent slowly building ambient sandcastles which fade away in an instant, it's something that is not even a sight of uncomfortable, but causes some estrangement of how odd it sounds placed in the middle of two emotional and expressive songs. Guitars appear from the dark like colored fireflies, in a starless sky, between breezes of drum crashes invading the soundscape, and keyboards watching distantly like old owls, all the elements are surely inoffensive, but for someone who surely loves some uncoordinated musical landscape it sounds absolutely delightful and delicious. I think Moonchild works really well by calming the album and setting the tone to the explosion that is the court of the crimson king in the end, an epic medieval fairy-tale with Machiavellic remarks of how the power had to be in good hands so the magic of the world would not end in the wrong hands. I used to hate the album art cover back then, but today it feels just odd... it grabs your attention and by the aural assault that it causes you, and leaves you well pleased (as seen in the back cover) the two moons of this album complete each other, I think this is something pretty human and still mystical, that's fantastic.