Album of the day (#1805): Led Zeppelin III by Led Zeppelin

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 11/08/2015 21:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#1805): Led Zeppelin III by Led Zeppelin
Today's album of the day

Led Zeppelin III by Led Zeppelin (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1970.
Overall rank: 113
Average rating: 84/100 (from 1011 votes).

Tracks:
1. Immigrant Song
2. Friends
3. Celebration Day
4. Since I've Been Loving You
5. Out On The Tiles
6. Gallows Pole
7. Tangerine
8. That's The Way
9. Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
10. Hats Off To (Roy) Harper

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 11/08/2015 21:33
  • Post subject:
I used to always pretend that "Immigrant Song" was racist in high school, but since's that position is hard to justify, I'll just stick with saying that it's super-duper annoying to me as a song. It's somehow a teensy bit better when someone like Trent Reznor or Hollywood Undead do it, though. It has more punch, and no longer is just Jimmy and Bob waving their willies around for two minutes.

The rest of this album ranges from pretty good to really boring.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 11/08/2015 21:40
  • Post subject:
...just an observation, but there seems to be a lot of consistent hate for whatever is album of the day lately...
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 11/08/2015 21:50
  • Post subject:
This has of course been a concentrated and strategically planned assault on the very fiber of BEA and in no way reflects the genuine opinions of the people involved. Never mind that there are about two negative posts per thread and heaps of praise - there's a conspiracy afoot to systemically destroy everything the Overall Chart holds sacred.

In keeping with my assigned duties, I must say that I find Led Zeppelin III to be a passable album. The first three Led Zeppelin albums are all cartoonish and melodramatic (all of them are, really, but after III it stops being cartoonish and starts being outrightly pompous), but that's sort of the point. Led Zeppelin III has an emotional core that I relate to a bit more, or at least I think it does. The last time I heard this, I was much more easily swayed by pretty acoustic guitar figures, so maybe I would see those same moments of poignancy as sappy or manipulative now. An album that I have absolutely 0 interest in ever listening to again but something that meant something big to me once upon a time.

My masters will be pleased that I have carefully constructed a less-than-emphatic response to this record. I will eat well tonight my friends. Pie Iesu domine, dona eis requiem... Pie Iesu domine, done eis requiem... Pie Iesu domine, dona eis requiem...
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 11/08/2015 21:54
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
This has of course been a concentrated and strategically planned assault on the very fiber of BEA and in no way reflects the genuine opinions of the people involved. Never mind that there are about two negative posts per thread and heaps of praise - there's a conspiracy afoot to systemically destroy everything the Overall Chart holds sacred.

In keeping with my assigned duties, I must say that I find Led Zeppelin III to be a passable album. The first three Led Zeppelin albums are all cartoonish and melodramatic (all of them are, really, but after III it stops being cartoonish and starts being outrightly pompous), but that's sort of the point. Led Zeppelin III has an emotional core that I relate to a bit more, or at least I think it does. The last time I heard this, I was much more easily swayed by pretty acoustic guitar figures, so maybe I would see those same moments of poignancy as sappy or manipulative now. An album that I have absolutely 0 interest in ever listening to again but something that meant something big to me once upon a time.

My masters will be pleased that I have carefully constructed a less-than-emphatic response to this record. I will eat well tonight my friends. Pie Iesu domine, dona eis requiem... Pie Iesu domine, done eis requiem... Pie Iesu domine, dona eis requiem...

I liked you better when you were pretending to block me.

Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
poppmusic

• Posted: 11/09/2015 00:28
  • Post subject:
Do like 5 people control this site? Anxious

In any case I have no idea how this album is cartoonish...Led Zeppelin, is like, the least cartoonish band of all time.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 11/09/2015 02:06
  • Post subject:
poppmusic wrote:
Do like 5 people control this site? Anxious

In any case I have no idea how this album is cartoonish...Led Zeppelin, is like, the least cartoonish band of all time.

You planning on deleting your account soon?
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 11/09/2015 02:13
  • Post subject:
poppmusic wrote:

Well I wouldn't quite say that. Regardless of cartoony nature or not, I really like this album. Since I've Been Loving You might be their best work.
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 10/30/2016 04:08
  • Post subject:
This is the underrated gem in the Zep catalog. It is more varied and acoustic than the albums which surround it, and that turns some off, but that doesn't mean this isn't great music. In addition to the great acoustic work, you get the epic 'Immigrant Song,' and Zep's all time best deep cut 'Out on the Tiles.'
  • Visit poster's website