The Romanelli Music Diary: A Moon Shaped Pool

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 232, 233, 234  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 11/15/2015 04:23
  • Post subject: The Romanelli Music Diary: A Moon Shaped Pool
I've decided to throw in an album a day, give or take. This is going to be nothing fancy, but it is going to be albums from my collection. I'm going to try to do about an album a day and see how it goes. If I end up doing this with mostly just me looking at it, so be it...at least I'll have it collected here.

I do hope you find something to enjoy here. I do believe I will enjoy doing it. Feel free to comment if you'd like to.

Smile

Return Of The Grievous Angel: A Tribute...us Artists

Various Artists
Return Of The Grevous Angel: A Tribute to Gram Parsons
1999- Almo Sounds
Various Producers: Executive Producers Emmylou Harris & Paul Kremen

1. She (Pretenders & Emmylou Harris)
2. Oooh Las Vegas (Cowboy Junkies)
3. Sin City (Beck & Emmylou Harris)
4. $1,000 Wedding (Evan Dando & Julianna Hatfield)
5. Hot Burrito #1 (The Mavericks)
6. High Fashion Queen (Chris Hillman & Steve Earle)
7. Juanita (Sheryl Crow & Emmylou Harris)
8. Sleepless Nights (Elvis Costello)
9. Return Of The Grevous Angel (Lucinda Williams & David Crosby)
10. One Hundred Years From Now (Wilco)
11. A Song For You (Whiskeytown)
12. Hickory Wind (Gillian Welch)
13. In My Hour Of Darkness (The Rolling Creekdippers)

Gram Parsons pretty much invented country rock. From his first band, The International Submarine Band, to a short stint with The Byrds, to The Flying Burrito Brothers and a pair of stellar solo albums, Parsons left behind a body of work that includes a ton of influence and a bunch of great songs. His last vocal partner, Emmylou Harris, had a big hand in putting this album together, and it has a lot of great moments.

The list of contributors speaks for itself. This is a fine collection, and a great introduction to Parson's work. The entries by Whiskeytown, Pretenders, Sheryl Crow and Lucinda Williams are high points. A great celebration of the work of country rock's leading light. Parsons passed away in 1973, but he'd be surely proud of this collection.

My Rating: ****

Last edited by Romanelli on 20 hours ago; edited 1280 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 11/15/2015 14:44
  • Post subject:

Scoop by Pete Townshend

Pete Townshend
Scoop
1983-Atco
Produced by Spike

1. So Sad About Us/Brrr
2. Squeezebox
3. Zelda
4. Politician
5. Dirty Water
6. Circles
7. Piano: Tipperary
8. Unused Piano: Quadrophenia
9. Melancholia
10. Bargain
11. Things Have Changed
12. Popular
13. Behind Blue Eyes

1. Magic Bus
2. Cache, Cache
3. Cookin'
4. You're So Clever
5. Body Language
6. Initial Machine Experiments
7. Mary
8. Recorders
9. Goin' Fishin'
10. To Barney Kessell
11. You Come Back
12. Love Reign O'er Me

Scoop is a 2 CD set of demos and acoustic doodlings from Who guitarist Townshend. Some are recorded with a full band, others are very raw. This collection of home recordings was the first volume...he also released Another Scoop in 1987.

Some of the obscure songs should have stayed that way. What makes this interesting is being able to hear songs like "Bargain", "Love Reign O'er Me", "Squeezebox", and "Behind Blue Eyes" in their pre-Who infancy, and it's also a great look at a great songwriter working with unfinished product. The CD also contains great liner notes from the artist, explaining each song, as well as a chronology from 1964 to 1982 of his home studio progression. Not entirely listenable, but the good stuff here is great, and well worth a go.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 11/15/2015 14:52
  • Post subject:
Love your write-ups, Rom! Will check out that Parsons comp soon. Have you ever heard Evan Dando's cover of Brass Buttons? It's what got me into Gram way back when.
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 11/17/2015 02:24
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:
Love your write-ups, Rom! Will check out that Parsons comp soon. Have you ever heard Evan Dando's cover of Brass Buttons? It's what got me into Gram way back when.

I have not heard that. Will have to chack it out...always been a fan of Dando. Thanks!

Workingman's Dead by Grateful Dead

THE GRATEFUL DEAD
WORKINGMAN'S DEAD
1970-WARNER BROS
Produced by Bob Matthews, Betty Cantor and The Grateful Dead

1. Uncle John's Band
2. High Time
3. Dire Wolf
4. New Speedway Boogie
5. Cumberland Blues
6. Black Peter
7. Easy Wind
8. Casey Jones

In 1970, the Dead released their 2 best studio albums: American Beauty and Workingman's Dead. Inspired by Music From Big Pink, this album is not about jams...it's about songs. All 8 tracks here are excellent, played and sung to perfection. "Uncle John's Band" and "Casey Jones" are the well known classics, but also "Dire Wolf" and the rest are just as excellent. This is a great blues and country rock album with top notch lyrics and harmonies.

The Dead started to slip in the studio after 1970, but they continued to play historic live shows. This album is a good reminder of what they were capable of doing early on, and of why the live shows had great material to rely on.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 11/17/2015 12:35
  • Post subject:

Native Sons by The Long Ryders

Have you heard this, Rom? One of my new faves and a huge influence on the Alt Country scene that you love. They were huge fans of Gram Parsons and this album cover is a recreation of a "lost" Buffalo Springfield album.
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 11/18/2015 02:18
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:

Native Sons by The Long Ryders

Have you heard this, Rom? One of my new faves and a huge influence on the Alt Country scene that you love. They were huge fans of Gram Parsons and this album cover is a recreation of a "lost" Buffalo Springfield album.

I have not...it's on my list now. Thanks for the rec!!!! Seems like something I will enjoy a lot.

Peace At Last by The Blue Nile

THE BLUE NILE
PEACE AT LAST
1996-WARNER BROS.
Produced by The Blue Nile

1. Happiness
2. Tomorrow Morning
3. Sentimental Man
4. Love Came Down
5. Body And Soul
6. Holy Love
7. Family Life
8. War Is Love
9. God Bless You Kid
10. Soon

This band from Scotland released 2 critically acclaimed albums, 1983's A Walk Across The Rooftops, and Hats from 1989. After 6 years between albums, it took them 7 years to make Peace At Last, which was much anticipated and which also fell squarely on its butt. The band had always relied on synthesizers (they are an 80's band), but the addition of a lot of acoustic guitar didn't seem to do much good here. The songs are mostly one dimensional and uninspired, and Paul Buchanan's singing is entirely sleep inducing. "Body And Soul" is the best track, while "Holy Love" is a simply dreadful attempt at some kind of synth funk.

The band waited 8 years to release another album, 2004's High, which was much better. They have done a lot of work with other artists, notably Annie Lennox and Rickie Lee Jones during their extensive off time. Unfortunately, this is the low point of their career.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 11/18/2015 09:30
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
I have not heard that. Will have to chack it out...always been a fan of Dando. Thanks!

Workingman's Dead by Grateful Dead

THE GRATEFUL DEAD
WORKINGMAN'S DEAD
1970-WARNER BROS
Produced by Bob Matthews, Betty Cantor and The Grateful Dead

1. Uncle John's Band
2. High Time
3. Dire Wolf
4. New Speedway Boogie
5. Cumberland Blues
6. Black Peter
7. Easy Wind
8. Casey Jones

In 1970, the Dead released their 2 best studio albums: American Beauty and Workingman's Dead. Inspired by Music From Big Pink, this album is not about jams...it's about songs. All 8 tracks here are excellent, played and sung to perfection. "Uncle John's Band" and "Casey Jones" are the well known classics, but also "Dire Wolf" and the rest are just as excellent. This is a great blues and country rock album with top notch lyrics and harmonies.

The Dead started to slip in the studio after 1970, but they continued to play historic live shows. This album is a good reminder of what they were capable of doing early on, and of why the live shows had great material to rely on.

Ah nice write up on this one Rom. Grew up with this album and know it by heart. Are you more a fan of their studio works in general or do you partake in their vast (VAST) repertoire of live shows too? Some of those bootlegs are just amazing...

As much as I love this though I don't think I would say they started to slip in the studio after 1970. Well maybe a bit... they were certainly less consistent, but if I had to choose, I think that

Blues For Allah by Grateful Dead
might actually be my favorite of their studio albums

Also Garcia's self-titled album in '72 is better than almost anything from that period imo
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 11/19/2015 00:41
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:

Ah nice write up on this one Rom. Grew up with this album and know it by heart. Are you more a fan of their studio works in general or do you partake in their vast (VAST) repertoire of live shows too? Some of those bootlegs are just amazing...

As much as I love this though I don't think I would say they started to slip in the studio after 1970. Well maybe a bit... they were certainly less consistent, but if I had to choose, I think that

Blues For Allah by Grateful Dead
might actually be my favorite of their studio albums

Also Garcia's self-titled album in '72 is better than almost anything from that period imo

I have not heard Blues For Allah in a really long time. I really should revisit that one. Thanks, DBZ!

Candlebox by Candlebox

CANDLEBOX
1993-MAVERICK
Produced by Kelly Gray, Jon Plum & Candlebox

1. Don't You
2. Change
3. You
4. No Sense
5. Far Behind
6. Blossom
7. Arrow
8. Rain
9. Mother's Dream
10. Cover Me
11. He Calls Home

Candlebox was very promising. They took their name from a Midnight Oil lyric, they came from Seattle at a time when being from Seattle was everything, and were the first band signed to Madonna's Maverick label. The debut album showed a lot of promise, and it looked like Candlebox was destined to do great things. And everyone had this album. To the point where I've had it offered to me for free no fewer than 5 times. The copy I had was given to me by someone who didn't want it.

The album is highlighted by the guitar work of Peter Klett, particularly on "Rain". So why does this album bug me? I think that it's the melody lines and the vocals. The band sounds great, but singer Kevin Martin never seems to go where you want him to. It makes the songs seem less than what they can be. Still, the promise is there (their 2nd album, Lucy, did not deliver, however). It's a decent debut, but I still don't think it's a great one.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
zdwyatt

United States

• Posted: 11/19/2015 14:38
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
Candlebox

If nothing else, "Far Behind" is great for tuning a guitar. That intro lick manages to hit the open note on every string, while incorporating some nice intervals. You play through that, along with the intros for Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters" and Queensryche's "Silent Lucidity," and you're in tune.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 11/21/2015 01:22
  • Post subject:

Invisible Touch by Genesis

GENESIS
INVISIBLE TOUCH
1986-ATLANTIC
Produced by Genesis & Hugh Padgham

1. Invisible Touch
2. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight
3. Land Of Confusion
4. In Too Deep
5. Anything She Does
6. Domino
7. Throwing It All Away
8. The Brazilian

Invisible Touch, the 13th studio album by Genesis, was released at the band's commercial peak. They were not only huge as a band, but Phil Collins was also enjoying massive solo success. This album was their most popular, with 5 top 5 singles including their only US #1 song (the very annoying title track). The album went to #1 in the UK and #3 in the USA.

The band also reached back to its past and threw in 2 prog rock songs, "Domino" and "The Brazillian", apparently trying to not completely lose what was left of their original fan base. Those 2 songs act as filler. The title track and the megahit "In Too Deep" are annoying, but the other singles, particularly "Land Of Confusion" still sound pretty good. You have to give them some credit...they really were trying to please all of the people at the same time.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website