• Post subject:
Agreed.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 02/03/2019 19:46
  • Post subject:
Disagree. LOVE the first four though. Have tried to get into Black multiple times. Always get bored with a bunch of the tracks. Some great singles though. It was a disappointment for me since they're were one of my favorite bands and a bunch of the songs are just boring & seem like mid-tier frat rock.

My favorite two are Kill 'Em All and Ride The Lightning.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 02/03/2019 23:20
  • Post subject:
I love the first four as well. I don't think that they deserved the backlash they got for the black album at all. But this is one of those albums that's cool, in that it brings out strong opinions from both sides of the coin. People still talk about this one. But considering what was mainstream metal at the time...I don't think that this qualifies as anything near that at all.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 02/05/2019 01:23
  • Post subject:

(What's The Story) Morning Glory? by Oasis

OASIS
(WHAT’S THE STORY) MORNING GLORY?
1995-CREATION
Produced By OWEN MORRIS & NOEL GALLAGHER

1. Hello
2. Roll With It
3. Wonderwall
4. Don’t Look Back In Anger
5. Hey Now!
6. Untitled
7. Some Might Say
8. Cast No Shadow
9. She’s Electric
10. Morning Glory
11. Untitled
12. Champagne Supernova

Oasis was well on their way to huge stardom after the release of their debut album, Definitely Maybe in 1994. (What’s The Story) Morning Glory? put them more than over the top…this album put them AT the top. In England, anyway, where they were proclaimed to be the second coming of The Beatles and the greatest rock and roll band to have ever walked the planet. Was this unfair hype? Yeah, I would say so. By their next album, Oasis was pretty much done. Drugs and infighting and more drugs and too much success to fast had ruined their muse, and the band was nothing but a shadow of what they were on this album a mere two years later. But there is always Morning Glory. Six of the album’s ten proper tracks (not including the two untitled tracks which come in at under a minute each) were hit singles, and for over a year, songs from Morning Glory were on the charts. “Some Might Say” was first, and while the song was hailed as being great, the initial reviews for the album were not favorable. Until it sold twenty some million copies, that is. That will make you change your review pretty quickly, as many writers showed.

“Roll With It”, “Champagne Supernova”, “Morning Glory”, “Don’t Look Back In Anger”, and “Wonderwall” are all, undeniably, exceptional tracks. The real weapon that Oasis had was guitarist Noel Gallagher, the band’s songwriter. Gallagher had begun incorporating a slower ballad style into the band’s sound, layering the songs with dreamy guitar hooks and lyrics that didn’t pull any punches about their state of mind. Even the lesser tracks here turned out beautifully done, and had Oasis been able to carrry on with what they did here, they might have just earned their reputation. But the third album was not good, and it became suddenly very cool to hate Oasis. The backlash of that is that many people are now missing out on the fact that Morning Glory is a masterpiece of British guitar power pop, and that this is a collection of songs that is barely equaled, much less surpassed. Oasis earned the hype that went with this album, and deserves credit for at least making one hell of a perfect record before succumbing to their own weaknesses. Morning Glory is an easy album to rate…one of the best.

Link

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 02/06/2019 00:38
  • Post subject:

Eagles by Eagles

EAGLES
1972-ASYLUM
Produced By GLYN JOHNS

1. Take It Easy
2. Witchy Woman
3. Chug All Night
4. Most Of Us Are Sad
5. Nightingale
6. Train Leaves Here This Morning
7. Take The Devil
8. Earlybird
9. Peaceful Easy Feeling
10. Tryin’

The Eagles were originally assembled from other groups to be the backing band for Linda Ronstadt in 1971. They played on her self-titled album, and at one Ronstadt concert (Disneyland) before deciding to try it as a band on their own. Eagles is their debut album, released in 1972, a sometimes tentative and sometimes bold stepping out for the new band. A four piece band at the time (they would stay that way until adding Don Felder in 1974), the songwriting was split surprisingly evenly between the band, with everyone contributing on three songs except for Don Henley, who co-wrote only one track. The album also features two songs by Jackson Browne, one by Jack Tempchin, and a contribution from former Byrd Gene Clark. The album was a commercial success, boasting three hit singles and making the band stars. It was also instrumental in the success of what was becoming the Southern California country rock sound, which was headed by acts like Browne, Ronstadt and the Eagles. How country this band was has always been debated, although their sound has become the blueprint for modern pop country of the 2010’s.

“Take It Easy” (mostly written by Browne) brought the band instant success a month prior to the album’s release. It showcases everything that was great about the band: they could definitely play, they had a great secret weapon in former Flying Burrito Brother Bernie Leadon (his banjo work is fine), and mostly that this band had the vocal chops to compete with anyone. “Witchy Woman”, written by Henley and Leadon, shows a more rock side of the group. Jack Tempchin’s “Peaceful Easy Feeling” was a big hit, and marks the beginning of 70’s soft rock. The best track on the record is the beautiful Gene Clark song, “Train Leaves Here This Morning”. Sung by Leadon, it’s a simple arrangement and a beautiful song, the unknown highlight of their debut. The rest of the tracks are forgettable throwaways, and the album suffers from the lack of presence by Henley, who would later be a dominant force as a singer and writer in the group. Eagles is an average to almost very good debut album. Better work from these guys was to come later on.

Link

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 02/06/2019 09:25
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:

The best track on the record is the beautiful Gene Clark song, “Train Leaves Here This Morning”.

Funny. To me it is a prime example of how to absolutely ruin a beautiful song with a schmalzy arrangement. All the coolness and sadness of the original gone. I would say it is unlistenable.
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 02/06/2019 16:54
  • Post subject:
Liedzeit wrote:
Romanelli wrote:

The best track on the record is the beautiful Gene Clark song, “Train Leaves Here This Morning”.

Funny. To me it is a prime example of how to absolutely ruin a beautiful song with a schmalzy arrangement. All the coolness and sadness of the original gone. I would say it is unlistenable.

The original (and excellent) Dillard & Clark version from 1968 is actually almost identical...the earlier version is actually a bit faster, with a nice mandolin solo from Donald Beck, and with almost identical vocal harmonies as the Eagles version. Leadon, who co-wrote the song with Clark, plays on both versions. The Eagles version, apart from the more clean vocal harmonies, is the simpler of the two, with more emphasis on guitar and vocals, and actually less cluttered. And on the Eagles version, I think that Leadon does a nice job of not overstepping Clark's original vocal. Both are really nice versions. I don't quite get where the Eagles version arrangement would be heard as "schmaltzy"...it's actually the simpler and more stripped down of the two. I love them both...and I think that Leadon bringing it to the Eagles was a good fit for what they were at the time.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 02/06/2019 17:00
  • Post subject:
I just want to expose more people to the best cover of Wonderwall.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 02/06/2019 17:40
  • Post subject:
Very thoughtful and super solid Eagles review. Well done.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 02/07/2019 00:01
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
I just want to expose more people to the best cover of Wonderwall.

Link

Well...I don't know if it's the best...but it certainly is the most disturbing! Very Happy

I do like what Ryan Adams did with it...

Link

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website