DRIvel(s) circa 2015-2024

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 01/09/2018 21:09
  • Post subject: LIVE SETS :: Gear Goals
Underlined the shopping list. I'm also hoping for a another amp in the future, but I have no idea what I'm leaning toward yet. Any recommendations are appreciated. I want something that cleans up nice, since the Blackheart gets to get pretty crunchy and the Fender is really for studio-use only.

Microphone:
Shure Beta SM58A

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Melody Maker (Flat Blue)
Fender Stratocaster (American/Black)
Goya Concert Guitar
Fender '72 Telecaster Thinline (Maple)
Ibanez AFV10A Hollow Body (Tobacco Burst)
Custom Driftwood Telecaster

Pedal Board:
TC-Helicon Mic Mechanic 2
Xotic SP Compressor
JHS Muffaletta Fuzz
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Keeley Compressor Plus
Chase Bliss Audio Warped Vinyl
Hologram Electronics Infinite Jets Resynthesizer
Red Panda Particle Granular Delay

TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
DigiTech Obscura Altered Delay
TC Electronic Flashback 2 Delay
HardWire Supernatural Reverb

Amplifiers:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant Tube Amp
Blackheart BH100 Crate Hot Head
Fender Power Chorus
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 01/10/2018 08:01
  • Post subject: Re: LIVE SETS :: Gear Goals
Custom Driftwood Telecaster:
So this is a real thing - if I ever get around to finishing it. I started building a guitar ages ago when I had access to a woodshop. I stopped when I realized I had no plan and no idea what I was doing. I don't have that access anymore, but I know pretty much exactly what I want to build. I have a lot of parts, a basic body, et cetera. I'm going to build a guitar that looks like a telecaster pulled out of a shipwreck. And hopefully it sounds cool. Haha... plus, I'm going to put a sick octopus tattoo on the back. Again, if I ever finish it.

TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay:
DigiTech Obscura Altered Delay:

These two pedals are supposed to show up in the mail before the week is out. I did a couple pedal swaps with strangers elsewhere in the states. I guess there's a chance I'm getting screwed (I sent back some nice pedals in return), but both of the guys I'm trading with have good reputations online, so hopefully this works out. I'm really stoked too. Both of these pedals are in my top ten fantasies, and I'll shut up now.

TC Electronic Flashback 2 Delay:
HardWire Supernatural Reverb:

I own both of these suckers, and they're genuinely incredible. Both are easily worth their price tags - especially comparing what else is on the market for their value. Even with two more delays coming in the mail (or four if you count the triple as three), I doubt I'll be moving my Flashback 2 out anytime soon.
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 01/11/2018 17:51
  • Post subject:
seu taht DijiTeq Ubskeweru Olturd D'leigh kaym in teh mayl yest'rdai, aand it'z gulouryus. butteif'l bild aand giusd teh ryett u'mownd uv gullitch. it'z olseau gaught teh BEST revurs d'leigh iev ev'r teenc'rd whith. i kudent bea moer puleez'd. aand it'z DijiTeq? theigh or rile stepp'n uhp ther gaym theaz deiz.
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 01/16/2018 07:22
  • Post subject:
Warped Vinyl vs. Shallow Water: I've been teetering between the two for a couple weeks now. At present, I'm favoring the Shallow Water.

Also, I didn't realize it when I last posted, but I needed the Bitquest. It'll be here later this week Razz

Honestly, I might just throw in the Shallow Water AND the Warped Vinyl and take a break from buying/selling/trading for a bit. See where the chips fall or what have you. Then I'll probably run out and buy another five reverb/delays.

And an Infinite Jets.
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 02/01/2018 00:02
  • Post subject:
K'so, lemmebe'honest: as kool.thing as le INFIN'T JETS'r, it's not the mohsd praakt'cle f'r wutie du. so.... i've jst abut fnsh'd the ov'rhall. Jest waytingf'r the WARPED VINYL to hit reas'nble price. CHAIN:

Dr. Scientist BITQUEST
Xotic SP
Ibanez TS9
(Chase Bliss Audio WARPED VINYL MK II)
Modtone SPEEDBOX
Malekko EKKO
Red Panda PARTICLE GRANULAR DELAY
TC Electronics FLASHBACK II
TC Electronics TRINITY
DigiTech OBSCURA ALTERED DELAY
DigiTech SUPERNATURAL AMBIENT REVERB
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/01/2018 00:53
craola wrote:
Underlined the shopping list. I'm also hoping for a another amp in the future, but I have no idea what I'm leaning toward yet. Any recommendations are appreciated. I want something that cleans up nice, since the Blackheart gets to get pretty crunchy and the Fender is really for studio-use only.

Microphone:
Shure Beta SM58A

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Melody Maker (Flat Blue)
Fender Stratocaster (American/Black)
Goya Concert Guitar
Fender '72 Telecaster Thinline (Maple)
Ibanez AFV10A Hollow Body (Tobacco Burst)
Custom Driftwood Telecaster

Pedal Board:
TC-Helicon Mic Mechanic 2
Xotic SP Compressor
JHS Muffaletta Fuzz
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Keeley Compressor Plus
Chase Bliss Audio Warped Vinyl
Hologram Electronics Infinite Jets Resynthesizer
Red Panda Particle Granular Delay

TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
DigiTech Obscura Altered Delay
TC Electronic Flashback 2 Delay
HardWire Supernatural Reverb

Amplifiers:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant Tube Amp
Blackheart BH100 Crate Hot Head
Fender Power Chorus

Have you ever played with a POG pedal? Stryman is the shit for ambient stuff too. They sound really cool. It's a double octave, and then makes sounds between distortion and organ.

Also, can't beat a AC30 for clean sound. I've also really liked playing with guitarists with an orange head. It has a beautiful clean sound, and an amazing crunch.

I guess while we are doing rig run downs:

1) Fender Precision Bass (Frankenstein parts... jazz neck and custom shop pickups on a squire body...)
2) Fender American Jazz Bass
3) MusicMan Stingray
4) Danelectro Longhorn

Mesa Boogie PowerHouse Head and 6x10

RAT distortion
MXR Blowtorch
Mesa pedal for scooping or boosting mids
other stuff I don't really use
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 02/02/2018 00:46
sethmadsen wrote:
Have you ever played with a POG pedal? Stryman is the shit for ambient stuff too. They sound really cool. It's a double octave, and then makes sounds between distortion and organ.

I have tried the POG! Well, the POG2 anyway. I wanted to buy one for eons, but eventually, I realized that being the only guitarist in my band, I wouldn't use the thing much. If I was one out of 2-3 guitarists, I would totally have one of those though.

sethmadsen wrote:
Also, can't beat a AC30 for clean sound. I've also really liked playing with guitarists with an orange head. It has a beautiful clean sound, and an amazing crunch.

AC30s are great. I ended up with the amps I have because I found them heavily discounted, and at that point in time, I was a broke-ish college student. I was living on ramen and the like for a while after that purchase.

sethmadsen wrote:

1) Fender Precision Bass (Frankenstein parts... jazz neck and custom shop pickups on a squire body...)
3) MusicMan Stingray
4) Danelectro Longhorn

RAT distortion
MXR Blowtorch

You're primarily a bass guy, eh? How's that Longhorn? Danelectros are beautiful to look at, but I've never played on one.
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/02/2018 03:35
craola wrote:
I have tried the POG! Well, the POG2 anyway. I wanted to buy one for eons, but eventually, I realized that being the only guitarist in my band, I wouldn't use the thing much. If I was one out of 2-3 guitarists, I would totally have one of those though.

AC30s are great. I ended up with the amps I have because I found them heavily discounted, and at that point in time, I was a broke-ish college student. I was living on ramen and the like for a while after that purchase.

sethmadsen wrote:

3) MusicMan Stingray
4) Danelectro Longhorn

RAT distortion
MXR Blowtorch

You're primarily a bass guy, eh? How's that Longhorn? Danelectros are beautiful to look at, but I've never played on one.

AC30s are ridiculously expensive. And I really shouldn't have purchased my mesa boogie, but when I heard it, I basically melted. Got a store CC and paid it off in a year with no interest.

The longhorn I put some flat wounds on it, and by itself, it sounds absolutely amazing. You put it in a mix and it kind of disappears (probably cause of the type of music I was playing/other musicians I was playing with). Really the only reason to get one is they are cheap and have a unique sound with those lipstick pickups. If you can get a fender lipstick pickup, that'd probably be a better option. Danelectro has changed hands so often it's hard to know if you are buying decent or garbage.

And yes, bass is my game. I've noticed all the music I'm into has strong bass. IDK, I find it slightly more interesting than guitar. It's the perfect spot for me because I really like rhythm and I really like the presence of bass instead of the brightness of guitar.

I like this dude's demonstration of all the things the POG can do. The guitarist I played with turned it into a really powerful tool in our band. It's a pretty versatile pedal, imo.

Link

Stryman also has really expensive, yet very impressive pedals:

Link

Anyway, I just like those pedals a lot. I'm sure you already have a thing with stuff you like.
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 02/09/2018 00:43
sethmadsen wrote:
AC30s are ridiculously expensive. And I really shouldn't have purchased my mesa boogie, but when I heard it, I basically melted. Got a store CC and paid it off in a year with no interest.

Yeah... there are some things I can't justify spending money on at this point in time. If I ever find myself in the position where I'm mega rich or play music for a living, I guess I'd splurge, but paying off music gear over the course of a year? That's a bit much for me...

sethmadsen wrote:
I like this dude's demonstration of all the things the POG can do. The guitarist I played with turned it into a really powerful tool in our band. It's a pretty versatile pedal, imo.

Ahhh - now that's the NanoPOG. I had a MicroPOG for years. I sold it just a month or so ago. The Micros/Nanos are much more simplified, so they're pretty easy to exploit. The full-sized POG is much more over-the-top, and it's great for ambient stuff, but like I said earlier, I can't see myself using it as frontman.

sethmadsen wrote:
Stryman also has really expensive, yet very impressive pedals.

Stryman is great - esp. if you use the midi stuff. I'd love to throw a Mobius on my board someday.

sethmadsen wrote:
I'm sure you already have a thing with stuff you like.

I'm obsessed with glitch/delay. I like pedals that repeat themselves and do weird things. I like pedals repeat that do weird things. Weird I pedal likes that repeat. Do weird repeats.

My three favorite bands - obv, right? Thom Thom and the Radio Heads, The Cocteau Twins and U2. Find me better delayers, and I'll be in your debt.
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/09/2018 04:50
  • Post subject:
You mean you don't like Walk the Moon Laughing

All your points I agree with.

I used to gig all the time and now I don't, so there's a part of me that wishes I hadn't put down so much for the amp.
  • Visit poster's website