Hazey's Musings on Melodic Motifs - Shibuya-Kei on Sundays!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 02/19/2017 13:46
  • Post subject:
Welcome back to...
Albums featuring N.W.A. (Non-White Assemblages)

Week 5

February 14th

Dirty Mind by Prince

Prince was made available on Spotify last week, which made me so bloody happy! I went back to stuff that I already heard since his tragic passing, but I also finally gave a listen to the album that first highlighted all the qualities that made Prince such a special artist. It's a short but incredibly fun album to blast out during wild parties. I was taken aback by the production a little bit, but it's still enjoyable.

February 16th

Voodoo by D'Angelo

I loved the shit out of Black Messiah, so I was expected to also love this. And I did. Although, truth be told, I did fall asleep when it was playing, but it was more of the comforting kind rather than the boring kind as D'Angelo's smooth caressive mumbling and groovy instrumentation relaxed me. I think I do prefer BM just a little bit more, but this Voodoo is still fantastic.

February 19th

Things Fall Apart by The Roots

I didn't want to cop you guys out by giving you only two albums this week, so I broke my rule of taking Sundays off to give you one more album to talk about. Continuing the Soulquarians vibe, naturally, is The Roots. While I did like this, perhaps I had my expectations a bit too high. There were moments where the album just didn't grab me like it was intending and my attention drifted off because of that. There's still some good songs on here, though. I don't know, maybe I'll vibe with it more when I put it on shuffle on the train or something.

HazeyTwilight

Ireland

• Posted: 02/26/2017 11:43
  • Post subject:
Welcome back to--
Shut the fuck up, you stupid BAWP. Nobody cares about you or what you think about music, just end this segment already, and also your life while you're at it

Week 6

Black History Month is coming to an end, so this will be the last of these special themed entries. That doesn't mean I'll stop listening to black music altogether, I'll still continue to talk about it. At least there's next year to look forward to (if I even survive this year that is).

February 21st

On The Corner by Miles Davis

My eighth album from Davis, although this one was a little harder to get into. I've heard things about how it was hated when it was dropped, but has also influenced most of the music I like. Yeah, I'm kind of in the former camp. It was good, and I will probably come around to this album someday, but it will take a while before that actually happens.

February 24th

Pastel Blues by Nina Simone

Not as accessible as her debut, but this was still pretty awesome.

February 26th

Let's Get It On by Marvin Gaye

Luscious and lovely. What's Going On may be his classic and magnum opus, but I resonate with this album a lot more.

HazeyTwilight

Ireland

• Posted: 03/05/2017 20:21
  • Post subject:
Welcome back to--
Wow, going back to talking about white guys with guitars again after embracing black music for not even a full month. You fucking racist, you don't even deserve to live.

Week 7

February 27th

Mezcal Head by Swervedriver

Listened to this whilst researching shoegaze for a college assignment. I expected it to be more alternative rock than shoegaze and more masculine than what I'm used to with shoegaze, but I still very much enjoyed this.

March 3rd

This Nation's Saving Grace by The Fall

Pretty good stuff. I prefer Hex Enduction Hour but this was fun.

Freak Out! by The Mothers of Invention

I expected this to be weird and non-commercial, and I got that, but it was too much sometimes and some songs didn't really grab me.

HazeyTwilight

Ireland

• Posted: 03/12/2017 13:49
  • Post subject:
Welcome back to...
Post-Punk to mirror my depression.

Week 8

Yeah, I got back into post-punk this week because a friend of mine irl recently got into the genre. Plus, I just needed to escape reality. I was surprised by how many albums I got through this week, since I'm usually too tired to commit to a full listen.

March 6th

White Light From The Mouth Of Infinity by Swans

Been getting over that whole Gira rape allegation thing that happened last year. I was so upset when it was relevant, but I felt like, after a year has passed, now was the right time to put that behind me and get back into Swans again. Been listening to a lot from The Seer and To Be Kind too, so I wanted to delve deeper. I really enjoyed this, it was very intense and brooding a lot of the time, but there was also a lot of hopeful undertones, which I don't see very often from them. It's a great kind of transitioning period album.

March 7th

Deceit by This Heat

An anxious and experimental record, but also an incredibly rewarding experience. Embodies its messages and concepts to great effect.

March 8th

Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart...Magic Band

Not post-punk, but did listen to it throughout the week, so it's here - my show my rules. After years of trying to finish this, I finally finished this monster. The bad news though...I fell asleep halfway through. So, technically, it's another failed attempt. Ugh, I hate this album sometimes. Sad

Script Of The Bridge by The Chameleons

Feeling a bit disappointed with myself, I decided to go back to the post-punk streak I had at the beginning of the week. And I'm so glad that I did, because this was a stellar album. This was one of the bands I recommended to that friend I mention in the beginning, and it was after I heard their stuff is when I knew that he was going to love this band (he likes The Cure so it's like that but edgier).

March 10th

Real Life by Magazine

An intentionally jaundiced album which kind of verges on new-wave, but it also contains one of the best staples of the genre.

March 11th

Jeopardy by The Sound

"I Can't Escape Myself" is too perfect for its own good, the rest of the album kind of pales in comparison because of it. But, it's still worthwhile addition to any fan of the genre.

HazeyTwilight

Ireland

• Posted: 03/19/2017 11:24
  • Post subject:
Welcome back to...
Pulling an all-nighter to get this fucking thing out on time. I guess nothing has changed since school...

Week 9

March 17th

Ten by Pearl Jam

I put Ten off for the longest time because I thought I was going to hate it, but since I love a lot of music that's very uncool on this site, it was pretty stupid to think that, so I finally gave it a chance. It was fine. Some songs were pretty good, but that was it. Didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either.

March 18th

A Hard Day's Night by The Beatles

Help! by The Beatles

Since I'm going to Liverpool on the 21st, I've been listening to a lot of The Beatles recently, much to my surprise. It just goes to show that no matter how much my taste in music has evolved, there's no escaping these guys. But anyway, onto my thoughts on these two albums. They get the same score but they achieve them in different ways. A Hard Day's Night has probably the best A-side of any of their albums but the B-side is just not as captivating whereas Help! is more consistent and evenly spread throughout both sides. I don't know which is better, but what I do know is that I can vibe with these albums more than some of their later discography.
HazeyTwilight

Ireland

• Posted: 04/02/2017 19:52
  • Post subject:
Welcome back to...
The 2-in-1 week lazy pack

Yeah, I missed last week because I didn't listen to enough music and wasn't feeling up to being a relevant and contributing member of this site. So, I combined both last week and this week into one entry.

Week 10

March 23rd

For Your Pleasure by Roxy Music

This was alright. Didn't wow me like I expected it to considering Brian Eno's on it, but it was fine and had some decent songs, I guess.

March 24th

A Crow Looked At Me by Mount Eerie

I gave this an 85 when I first heard it, but I don't know if this even should be deserving of a rating to begin with. Not because it's a bad album, but because it's such a heartbreaking experience from a lyrical standpoint and to judge it on an artistic level and assign it a rating just feels wrong. I will say that this was one hell of a depressing album that I'm not sure if I should listen to again in case I start actually feel more sad if I pay more attention to the lyrics this time.

Week 11

March 27th

John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band by John Lennon

I was expecting raw sounds and shocking viewpoints from Lennon going into it, but I'll admit I was surprised by how I was affected by some of the things that this album did. Some of the experiments here don't really work all too well and some moments were so overbearing that it became funny to me. But, I'll give you credit, Lennon, you did more than I was expecting.

March 30th

I See A Darkness by Bonnie 'Prince' Billy

I was both surprised by the publications ranking this high on their best of the 90s list and by the people saying that it's an overrated piece of music in retrospect. It's almost like the American Beauty of music. I thought that was a good film, so I guess the same applies to I See A Darkness. My show, my rules.

April 1st

Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous by Big L

This is good. Good flow, good beats, good lyrics. yea you can tell i'm getting lazy i just want to end this already

HazeyTwilight

Ireland

• Posted: 05/22/2017 15:43
  • Post subject:
Welcome back to-
WHERE THE FUCK HAVE YOU BEEN YOU LITTLE SHIT?!?!?

Sorry, I've just been busy busy busy with college stuff, but just finished the first year last week, so I have a lot of catching up to do with everything in my life. So, let's just get into this.

Week 12 (even though it clearly isn't)

May 15th-16th

Mothership Connection by Parliament

Funkentelechy Vs. The Placebo Syndrome by Parliament

One Nation Under A Groove by Funkadelic

I got to see George Clinton with Parliament-Funkadelic on the 16th with the people from my course. It was really fun! I only had time to listen to these three albums to prepare for the show. All were good, however Funkentelechy Vs. The Placebo Syndrome stretched its ideas out too thin and some songs dragged on for too long. But the other two really good in different ways, Mothership Connection had great electro-funky grooves while One Nation Under a Groove was absolutely rocking a fun vibe. Overall, I had a good time.

May 18th

Superunknown by Soundgarden

I had never listened to Superunknown before, but, on the day of Chris Cornell's death, I knew I had to pay my respects and give it a spin. And I wish I had gotten to this sooner. It's a fantastic album. The heart-pounding riffs, the exquisite instrumentation, the wonderful odd time signatures and Cornell's powerful voice. A defining moment in rock history in the 90s. RIP Chris Cornell - you will be sorely missed.

HazeyTwilight

Ireland

• Posted: 05/28/2017 18:55
  • Post subject:
Welcome back to...
The Day the Music Kind of Sucked...I can explain

Yeah, let's just get this entry over and done with before I get burned to the stake.

Week 13

May 22nd

Townes Van Zandt by Townes Van Zandt

Apart from a few moments scattered throughout this, I couldn't get into this all that much. That's odd because I usually like this kind of sad Singer/Songwriter music, but I didn't know a 34 minute album could drag this much and couldn't care for it.

Tabula Rasa by Arvo Pärt

I really wanted to like this more because some of the movements like "Fratres" and "Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Button" are great, but the title piece didn't do it for me. Maybe it's my fault for having it playing through speakers instead of listening through headphones, because it is a quiet experience. Oh well, my loss.

May 24th

Angel Dust by Faith No More

Some of it was tolerable, some of it was annoying. A middling album - and not for a Midlife Crisis (not even this album can help me write good jokes).

May 26th

Superfly by Curtis Mayfield

In my Music Performance course, we were trying to sort out a setlist for live performances and we were suggesting songs and I had a playlist of songs that I wanted to play but no one in the group even bothered listened to that playlist (I learned the songs everyone else picked back to front, it wouldn't hurt for them to at least give some of my songs a shot), but that playlist had the title track on it, because I thought it would match the criteria of our group at the time. So I had known about the title track for a long time but it takes me this long to listen to the rest of Superfly. Shame on me for not getting to this sooner, it's an awesome, funky and charged album through-and-through. I guess that's what I wanted to say. This was just 95% of my time ragging on my course. Well, after having gone through musicians who care more about their gear than the songs themselves and who don't even rehearse or even listen to the songs after classes and who are not improving on their skills for seven months, I needed to vent. Anyway, Superfly is dope.

May 27th

Machine Head by Deep Purple

This wasn't as bad as I was expecting, judging from that all that I had heard was that dreaded song. It was alright, a mesh of hard rock, heavy metal, blues rock and prog seemed kind of daunting yet promising. It verged on being both cool and uncool. What I'm trying to say is what is definitely a landmark album for hard rock seems kind of bland to me right now, but (like with most of the albums here) maybe it will click with me one day.

HazeyTwilight

Ireland

• Posted: 06/04/2017 16:23
  • Post subject:
Welcome back to...
The I haven't listen to much music this week, so I'm just gonna bullshit my way through this

Week 14

May 31st

Déjà Vu by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

I was expecting this to be a nice little folk rock album that evoked pastoral imagery and homely themes, but then I heard the first track with it's rocking spaceman vibe barging in and I realised that this wasn't going to sound like that. Which is a shame because Neil Young's on it and I love his work and his songs are easily the best part of this album. By the end, I found it a bit all over the place and couldn't enjoy it all that much. This is just asking for Romanelli to ban me, isn't it?

Igor Stravinsky: Le Sacre Du Printemps ...ilharmonic

To wake me up after the previous album, I figured I would listen to this because I also needed to brush up on my modern classical music. I'm glad I gave Le Sacre Du Printemps a listen, this was so exhilarating. I was constantly thinking how I would transcribe it into a popular music context, kind of like a Glenn Branca-esque experiment. But it's definitely a very ambitious task and having glanced at some of the sheet music, it will take a considerable while to get even 10% of the piece down to perfection. But it would be great to do something like that if any of the people in my course are willing to expand their horizons like I am. But anyway, while sometimes there can be too much to process, this is still excellent.

Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/04/2017 17:26
  • Post subject:
HazeyTwilight wrote:
Welcome back to...
The I haven't listen to much music this week, so I'm just gonna bullshit my way through this

Week 14

May 31st

Déjà Vu by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

I was expecting this to be a nice little folk rock album that evoked pastoral imagery and homely themes, but then I heard the first track with it's rocking spaceman vibe barging in and I realised that this wasn't going to sound like that. Which is a shame because Neil Young's on it and I love his work and his songs are easily the best part of this album. By the end, I found it a bit all over the place and couldn't enjoy it all that much. This is just asking for Romanelli to ban me, isn't it?

I'm right there with you, Hazey! And I love Folk Rock (obv)! Never understood the appeal of CSN although I really like them on their individual projects & solo albums. Will listen at some point to again to try & figure just what is that doesn't jibe with me.
  • Visit poster's website