Hazey's Musings on Melodic Motifs - Shibuya-Kei on Sundays!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 05/12/2018 13:02
  • Post subject:

Link

i did a thing
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 05/16/2018 03:01
  • Post subject:
HazeyTwilight wrote:

Link

i did a thing

You did this? Damn this was good. I was never a crazy Arctic Monkeys guy due to not being crazy about rock music during the 2000's. But this does show the passion as well as the concern that you have with the band. Also, I might tackle AM a lot sooner due to not only "supposedly" being influenced by Aaliyah as well as Outkast but also being consider as a midnight album. Hell, some of my all time favorite electronic albums have that dreamy, night time quality to them so we will see. If for any complaints from the video, I would say as you get further making videos, get better audio equipment or the noise cancellations that go on the wall. Other than that, you are doing good so far.

P.S: I Noticed The Rock Critic influence in this video when you were mentioning the song titles.
  • Visit poster's website
HazeyTwilight

Ireland

• Posted: 05/16/2018 11:17
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
HazeyTwilight wrote:

Link

i did a thing

You did this? Damn this was good. I was never a crazy Arctic Monkeys guy due to not being crazy about rock music during the 2000's. But this does show the passion as well as the concern that you have with the band. Also, I might tackle AM a lot sooner due to not only "supposedly" being influenced by Aaliyah as well as Outkast but also being consider as a midnight album. Hell, some of my all time favorite electronic albums have that dreamy, night time quality to them so we will see. If for any complaints from the video, I would say as you get further making videos, get better audio equipment or the noise cancellations that go on the wall. Other than that, you are doing good so far.

P.S: I Noticed The Rock Critic influence in this video when you were mentioning the song titles.

Thanks for that, man! Yeah I noticed that stuff about the audio too, and while I was editing this, I realised that I need a new microphone (my sibilance is so shrill!) and to mix it better to make these videos more tolerable. Also, yeah massively inspired and influenced by Rock Critic in this one.
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 05/16/2018 14:32
  • Post subject:
No problem my man. Always here to help out in any way I can.

Last edited by Luigii on 05/20/2018 14:29; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
HazeyTwilight

Ireland

• Posted: 05/20/2018 14:15
  • Post subject:
Alright, enough bullshit video essays (for now at least). Let's get back on that Shibuya-Kei Sundays!!! train again! This week, we're taking a look at:

かなしいことなんかじゃない...by Hi-Posi

RYM Genre Distinctions: Art Pop

This is an album that I actually added on to the database, so that's another Shibuya-Kei album in that collection! I remember hearing a song from Hi-Posi on the Sushi 4004 comp, but I've never listened to a full length from them. I didn't know what to expect from this album, but what I got was a lot more than what was presented on the pastoral and nostalgic cover. I know RYM classifies this as Art Pop, and I would too, but only barely, as there are various styles present on this album. There's some chamber pop, jazz-funk reminiscent of "Chameleon" on one track, downtempo, folk pop, piano rock that includes tempo shifts, and even one track that sounds like if all of Screamadelica was compressed into one song. And that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface! Coming from a genre/scene that pulls its sounds from pretty much everywhere, this is definitely one of the most eclectic albums in all of Shibuya-Kei. The best part about this is that every style here is executed so brilliantly, and that got stronger the deeper you get into it. One of Shibuya-Kei's best kept secrets, and something that I'll grow to love more with every revisit.

Luigii

United States

• Posted: 05/20/2018 15:19
  • Post subject:
HazeyTwilight wrote:
Alright, enough bullshit video essays (for now at least). Let's get back on that Shibuya-Kei Sundays!!! train again! This week, we're taking a look at:

かなしいことなんかじゃない...by Hi-Posi

This is an album that I actually added on to the database, so that's another Shibuya-Kei album in that collection! I remember hearing a song from Hi-Posi on the Sushi 4004 comp, but I've never listened to a full length from them. I didn't know what to expect from this album, but what I got was a lot more than what was presented on the pastoral and nostalgic cover. I know RYM classifies this as Art Pop, and I would too, but only barely, as there are various styles present on this album. There's some chamber pop, jazz-funk reminiscent of "Chameleon" on one track, downtempo, folk pop, piano rock that includes tempo shifts, and even one track that sounds like if all of Screamadelica was compressed into one song. And that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface! Coming from a genre/scene that pulls its sounds from pretty much everywhere, this is definitely one of the most eclectic albums in all of Shibuya-Kei. The best part about this is that every style here is executed so brilliantly, and that got stronger the deeper you get into it. One of Shibuya-Kei's best kept secrets, and something that I'll grow to love more with every revisit.

Got 20 minutes into this album and damn for 96 this is dope. Will have to finish this up when I get back from work later today.
  • Visit poster's website
HazeyTwilight

Ireland

• Posted: 05/27/2018 18:41
  • Post subject:
Time for more Shibuya-Kei Sundays!!! This week's album I'll be listening to is this:

Roomic Cube by Takako Minekawa

Takako Minekawa is an artist that I can rely on in this genre. Whether it's the eccentric and quirky electropop of Cloudy Cloud Calculator or the spacey vibes injected with some of Cornelius' magic on Fun 9, she's proved herself worthy to be a household name in the vast galaxy that is Shibuya-Kei. That being said, I was not really impressed so much with this album. It wasn't bad at all, and there were some tracks on here that caught my attention (Fantastic Cat is great), but I wasn't a huge fan of the mood it was going for. Dense, bass-y electronica on one end and 90s alternative rock on the other end. I soon found out that a big reason for why it sounded like this was because the album was produced and co-written by the band Buffalo Daughter. Being familiar with their work already, it makes sense as to why the album has those influences, as it's a sound that works well with those girls. However, it's not a something I associate with Minekawa at all. There are some little eccentricities here and there that makes it interesting like a vocoder warble backing vocal and cute percussive effects that I'd expect from Minekawa. But, even if the songs by themselves are fine enough, they kind of fall short because she's still finding that personality that she later developed on following albums.

HazeyTwilight

Ireland

• Posted: 06/10/2018 16:05
  • Post subject:
Sorry for missing last week's Shibuya-Kei Sundays!!! I didn't know what to do last week, but now I have something in store for this week! Today's album is:

Happy End Of The World by Pizzicato Five

RYM Genre Distinctions: Lounge, Drum and Bass, Breakbeat

Yes, I'm finally listening to a full album from the legends of the genre themselves: Pizzicato Five. RYM recommended me to start out with this album out of their vast body of work and I can say that it works well as an introduction. That being said, I'm not sure how much of this sound is prominent in the rest of their discography. It's a hybrid of 60s pop and lounge with some particles of reverberated drum breakbeats, and that makes for some kitsch-y and engaging music. It was all very enjoyable, maybe a bit overlong near the end and kind of a product of its time, but it's still great retro pop updated with electronic flair. Not much else to say except that I'm glad I finally got around to them after all these years.

HazeyTwilight

Ireland

• Posted: 06/17/2018 22:44
  • Post subject:
Time for a late night Shibuya-Kei Sundays!!! I was pretty occupied with other things during the day so I couldn't do it earlier. Anyway, this week's album is:

Bewitched by Hazel Nuts Chocolate

RYM Genre Distinctions: Picopop

This album is just one big sugar rush! From the comical electronica bleep bloops, the saccharine pop, and some ballad, latin and even fucking country flairs on a couple of tracks, this album definitely has pep. Doing a bit of research on this album and according to Discogs, the album was mixed and mastered by Plus-Tech Squeeze Box, and that totally explains its nutty (no pun intended but, honestly, what else would you expect from someone as uncool as me) production. But this album also has a childlike quality to it throughout the entire album, like it's going through the day in the life of a child in which the first couple of songs feeling like waking up and seeing the sun rise before having you participate in the whacky and zany situations that is present throughout the rest of the album up until the last track, which is almost like a lullaby. And its execution of this concept is well realised. Even though there were some aspects of this album compositionally that was hard for me to get into, some songs aren't particularly memorable, and perhaps it can be a bit too grating in places, but it's an album that doesn't waste time and does what it needs to do, and that is be incredibly eccentric and cute.

HazeyTwilight

Ireland

• Posted: 06/20/2018 15:23
  • Post subject:
You think contemporary Australian music is all about bands like Kevin Parker's inbred brand of psychedelia and King Jizzin' out albums like it's no tomorrow? WELL THINK AGAIN CUNTS CUZ YOU HAVEN'T HEARD SHIT LIKE THIS BEFORE:

A Laughing Death In Meatspace by Tropical Fuck Storm

*ahem* sorry about that. Now that I've gotten probably more attention than I needed to (whoops), I wanted to break away from the usual formula to gush about an album that I've fallen heads over heels for. This is one of the most refreshing rock albums that I've heard all year. It takes the tired old tropes that are prevalent within today's rock music (looking at you: Black Keys, and any other band inspired by them), and completely fucks with them to give us a chaotic and deranged interpretation of that modern blues sound, while also harkening back to the dirtier, more punk edges a la The Gun Club and The Birthday Party (also helps that the male singer sounds like Nick Cave) and filtered through a production reminiscent of Iceage's first two albums. Whilst it's often abrasive, it's also extremely catchy in spite of it, played in no small part by the bright harmonies by the female singer and riffs that pop out at you. The first half is where most of the abrasion lies, whereas the second half has more introspection laid onto it. To be quite honest, this is where the album loses a bit of steam, but it still manages to grab my attention due to the politically charged messages on some songs (especially the apocalyptic "Soft Power"). I checked some of their music videos on YouTube after listening to it on Spotify and I was shocked to see that they had more dislikes than likes. I understand that a band that's called Tropical Fuck Storm that has a deliberately inaccessible sound may not have the best reputation on the internet right now. But for someone like me that has been seeking out rock music that goes against the tired, half-baked norms that has plagued the genre for the past 5 years, I immediately gravitated towards this. And being a great album on top of all that is a a massive benefit too. Best rock album of the year thus far.