In Remembrance Of Those Who Are Gone

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 74, 75, 76  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 08/24/2021 19:27
  • Post subject:
Oh man, sad news indeed. I don't think they should continue either, maybe some one off shows here and there.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 08/25/2021 02:53
  • Post subject:

Link

I mean - lyrical swing and punk rock vibe, yes please. Few musicians have entered a place of musical DNA for me.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 08/25/2021 03:00
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
Oh man, sad news indeed. I don't think they should continue either, maybe some one off shows here and there.

Thing is, most people don't care about bassists and drummers, by and large. It's always Keith and Mick, John and Paul, Edge and Bono, etc. for a large majority of people. Like they wouldn't even notice kind of thing.

Saying it differently, imagine the Stones had they stopped in 1969 because a major member, Brian Jones died?

Having said that, Rolling Stones should have made A Bigger Bang in 1982 and then called i quits.
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 08/25/2021 03:51
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
Thing is, most people don't care about bassists and drummers, by and large. It's always Keith and Mick, John and Paul, Edge and Bono, etc. for a large majority of people. Like they wouldn't even notice kind of thing.

Saying it differently, imagine the Stones had they stopped in 1969 because a major member, Brian Jones died?

Having said that, Rolling Stones should have made A Bigger Bang in 1982 and then called i quits.

Paul played bass for The Beatles.
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 08/25/2021 04:03
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:

Well Paul was the bassist, but yeah I see your point. Keith and Mick maybe were the primary drivers of the Stones, and you could say the same about Bono and the Edge, Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood.

However as a counterpoint: both Led Zeppelin and The Who's careers together ended upon the death of their drummers. Brian Jones was an iconic part of the early Stones, but his death occurred relatively early in their career, and prior to the release of their biggest albums. John Bonham died while Led Zeppelin was waning and effectively shut the door on what could have been. The Who had a few albums after the death of Keith Moon, but they yielded a few singles and not much else.

My impression is that Mick and Keith will continue performing together, probably with Ronnie Wood as well if they can. I'm not sure if they'll continue to call themselves the Rolling Stones though, it'd be interesting if they retired the name. Notably, Mick and Keith have performed together without the rest of the band (The Concert for New York City in 2001), and they were credited as solo artists. Not sure of any other examples of this.

Percussion is so important but it's often forgotten unless it's at the forefront as in some jazz, metal, or punk music. Classic rock had some incredible drummers despite their not necessarily showing off their chops as much as drumming personalities like Neil Peart or Keith Moon, singing drummers like Levon Helm or Phil Collins, bandleader drummers like Buddy Rich or Dave Grohl, or many jazz drummers (Elvin Jones, Tony Williams, Max Roach, Art Blakey to name a few). Charlie Watts was incredibly talented, able to guide the band from the back of the stage, both literally and metaphorically.
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 08/25/2021 05:38
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
RoundTheBend wrote:

Paul played bass for The Beatles.

I mean that is clearly fake news. Laughing A principal songwriter/guitarist from the beginning he was kinda forced to become their bassist. Didn't start out that way, but indeed touche. BY AND LARGE was indeed a qualifier there. He also drummed for the Beatles. In other fake news, a large majority of his fans thinks he played guitar for them... hehe.

And Phil Collins is a name people can remember/lead singer and all.

I guess I was just saying that 90% (I actually already polled the internet and this is the exact number of ultimate truth) of people who would go to a Stones concert these days likely wouldn't notice... VERY sadly.

In the early days, I feel like Watt's playing was the HEART of the band. Like that energy you get from the Stones... that's 90% him. That kind of fun chaos as per the link above and many other examples.

Anyway, great points both of you. Thanks EyeKanFly for seeing what I was trying to say. Further interesting points that Keith and Mick played as "solo artists" together.

And yes, the drummer is the heart of jazz and rock imo. Rhythm is incredibly important to my interest in music (as a bassist myself, who actually as a kid wanted to be a drummer, but I was the drooling idiot who could never figure it out and settled for bass, as the stereo type goes... I also play an acoustic guitar more for fun).

My apologies for perhaps the wrong time and place for me being a pessimist on how amazing drummers like Charlie Watts gets treated and how a huge chunk of people likely had to look up his name when they read the headline. If Mick Jagger were to die, that would not be the case is really the nut of what I was trying to say.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 08/25/2021 05:53
  • Post subject:
Back to actually celebrating the dude:

Keith Richards in 1979 said:

Quote:

Everybody thinks Mick and Keith are the Rolling Stones. If Charlie wasn’t doing what he’s doing on drums, that wouldn’t be true at all. You’d find out that Charlie Watts is the Stones.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 08/25/2021 13:10
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:

Quote:

Everybody thinks Mick and Keith are the Rolling Stones. If Charlie wasn’t doing what he’s doing on drums, that wouldn’t be true at all. You’d find out that Charlie Watts is the Stones.

Watched a documentary about the Stones some years back, don't remember much about it except that it was good, but I distinctly remember the segment where a quote just like that one was confirmed by band members, management and some friends. Seems he was an integral part of what they were doing.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 08/25/2021 16:19
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
Further interesting points that Keith and Mick played as "solo artists" together.

I think perhaps they were legally obligated not to use the Stones name without Watts or Wood in the lineup, but I'm not entirely sure. What's really odd about that specific concert is that they were billed separately and not even next to each other (e.g. featuring Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, Destiny's Child, The Who, Goo Goo Dolls, Keith Richards) but they DID play together. So I think maybe there was something else going on behind the scenes so as not to use the Stones name.

However,
RoundTheBend wrote:

Quote:

I think this agrees with the earlier sentiment. What an amazing statement coming from within the band. I think that's something a number of outsiders had said about Ringo, but hell if you'd ever hear Paul or John say that.

The Stones have weathered deaths in the band and lineup changes before, but nothing to affect the core members since the 60s, so I'm not sure what Mick and Keith (and Ronnie) will do.

Also above I think I suggested that Brian Jones was the bassist. I was mistaken, he was rhythm guitar/backing vocals/sitar/miscellaneous instruments. While I don't want to understate his creative influence, I think the point stands that drumming is more crucial to a band than a second guitar, a second set of vocals, or non-typical rock band instruments.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/29/2021 15:39
  • Post subject:

Getting sad news that Lee "Scratch" Perry has died. He was 85.

RIP The Upsetter. Innovating dub for over six decades.

Roast Fish Collie Weed & Corn Bread hitting the needle later today.
  • Visit poster's website