Various Artists nationality

View previous topic :: View next topic
undefined

• Posted: 01/25/2016 06:37
  • Post subject: Various Artists nationality
So in quite a few cases, a VA release might consist entirely of artists from a single country. Any way we might be able to have an option to make "Various Artists" appear from a specific country for certain releases rather than just the default of "mixed nationality"?
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 01/25/2016 11:00
  • Post subject:
it's not possible at the moment due to the way the site is set up (the alternative would be to end up with one VA for each nation which would be a bit confusing when browsing the site, adding albums etc)
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 01/25/2016 11:49
  • Post subject:
Would it be possible to edit the nationality for specific albums (on admin album pages) in case they are Various Artists releases? Like, if an album is by a band from a specific country, it gets assigned that country automatically, but with a V/A release, you can change that?
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/25/2016 15:41
  • Post subject:
I remember trying this (maybe 2 years ago or so) with a compilation 100% from Nigerian artists, so I tried to add it as 'Various Artists From Nigeria', and it was changed within a few days.

I thought it would be fine, but oh well. Haven't tried since.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 01/27/2016 09:57
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
Would it be possible to edit the nationality for specific albums (on admin album pages) in case they are Various Artists releases? Like, if an album is by a band from a specific country, it gets assigned that country automatically, but with a V/A release, you can change that?

I'll definitely look into it and see what can be done to change how the site works without overcomplicating things & this might be one way of handling things. Another way might be to have 'child artists' of VA with the different nationalities as it keeps the nationality at artist level rather than against each album (although I wouldn't want to see a huge list of these child artists on a VA page). The whole nature of VA is entirely different to other types of artist as they are largely of unique composition for each album they are attributed to and it's about finding a neat solution to this that doesn't affect the workings of the rest of the site.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 01/27/2016 10:06
  • Post subject:
perhaps we could just add "Various Artists [(Nationality)]" as separate artists only as needed? I doubt we'd end up with that many of those anyway, so it wouldn't crowd or confuse things too much