Off with the head for Chart of the Day

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 07/04/2015 23:26
  • Post subject: Off with the head for Chart of the Day
Chart of the Day (on the forums at least) is not getting the attention it once had and seems past its prime. By retiring it altogether the music forum will have other threads staying on the top page longer.
PsychologistHD

United States

• Posted: 07/05/2015 04:50
  • Post subject:
Hell, why not?

I never go through the chart of the day, typically. I'd like to hear how other people feel about this however.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 07/05/2015 18:10
  • Post subject:
I really like Chart of the Day, at least much more than I like Album of the Day. It gives our charts a chance to be seen by everyone and get a bunch of ratings. In a way, every chart's dream is to get ten votes so it could some day be featured as Chart of the Day, and it'd be sad to let that go.
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 07/05/2015 18:28
  • Post subject:
I always get a lot of ratings when I'm Chart of the Day, so it seems to me that people are looking through charts. The lack of posts on the forums may suggest that we don't need a thread for separate discussion though.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 07/05/2015 18:44
  • Post subject:
I disagree. I think chart of the day is still quite popular.

On the other hand, I would say axing Album of the Day would seem more reasonable. I'm not sure how much attention that gets...

Maybe just make it album of the week?
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 07/05/2015 18:45
  • Post subject:
Chart Of The Day is nice, but maybe doesn't need a thread on the board. I'd say keep it as a feature, though.

As for Album Of The Day...I think it gets tired having just the big, more popular and the ones on most charts be AOTD. I'd say use the Random Album Generator (my favorite toy on BEA, btw) and make the AOTD a real crapshoot. I think that way, you'd get some albums that you've really never heard, never heard of, and have it be a way of discovering music that's new to you, with a sometimes familiar one thrown in. AOTD could be really good. It could be really bad. But it would be something different.

Let's see...if I go to the RAG and click on it, I get this one:

Sneeuwland by Oskar Schuster

I've never heard of it. Have no idea what it might be like. But, if I'm into AOTD, I might just go check it out, good or bad. I think it's a better idea than having the same albums over and over that everyone knows.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 07/05/2015 22:13
  • Post subject:
Like loveless and Romanelli said, I don't think we need a thread in the forums for chart of the day, though it is a nice feature and does clearly draw interest to the charts still, there seems to be a lot of people who never venture on the forums that check out the chart of the day regularly, judging by comments and ratings.

I'm also all for the idea of using the random album generator to choose album of the day, or maybe make a new feature for using the random album generator to choose an album of the day, as I'm sure there are some users who will still want to talk about the more well known albums that tend to appear in the current album of the day (I'm sure the current format of album of the day would be more enticing to newer users of BEA for example, for the most part).

• Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 07/06/2015 07:42
  • Post subject: Re: Off with the head for Chart of the Day
Kiki wrote:
Chart of the Day (on the forums at least) is not getting the attention it once had and seems past its prime. By retiring it altogether the music forum will have other threads staying on the top page longer.

Both these features (AOTD & COTD) are here for different reasons. Chart of the day helps bring attention to people's charts. Even though there might not often be a lot of feedback (especially for people who are not active on the forums), it does help people re-engage with the site if their chart is highlighted. I quite often get PMs of thanks from people for their chart appearing. If their chart wasn't highlighted on the forums, the whole feature otherwise would go unnoticed & likely wouldn't get any attention.

AOTD probably could do with a more varied selection, but an issue when we had world album of the day was that the selections were too obscure and not enough people could offer any feedback, so the balance needs to be right.
  • Visit poster's website
Trendall

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/04/2015 14:38
  • Post subject:
If it wasn't for chart of the day I probably would have had like 0 comments on my chart.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
jhuik
BOSS

Canada

• Posted: 09/04/2015 11:04
  • Post subject:
The point of the original suggestion might be:

Quote:
other threads staying on the top page longer.

So maybe the layout or algorithm of the forums could be revised a bit so that if new threads that have low activity or views or interest (like COTD), they could be deprecated a bit more quickly.
  • Visit poster's website