Tool

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
TheWestIsTheBest

• Posted: 02/04/2016 20:31
  • Post subject: Tool
For the past few years Tool has remained solidly as what I would call my "favorite band" though I don't use that term much. So it would be nice to hear if there are any other Tool fans here, or just anyone familiar with their music whether they like it or not.

My personal favorite album would have to be Aenima, followed closely by Lateralus.

Note I am aware that Tool can get a lot of hate, and personally I feel its more because of their pretentious, quite annoying fan base(though I'm a fan i try not to be an asshole) and some of Maynard James Keenan's comments and actions rather than people actually hating on the music.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 02/04/2016 21:01
  • Post subject: Re: Tool
TheWestIsTheBest wrote:

Note I am aware that Tool can get a lot of hate, and personally I feel its more because of their pretentious, quite annoying fan base

Yeah. Their fanbase is notoriously filled with tools, which is sad considering I've known plenty of cool Tool fans. I'm not a huge fan, but I do like them, and they did put on a pretty exciting live show.
  • Visit poster's website
TheWestIsTheBest

• Posted: 02/04/2016 21:16
  • Post subject: Re: Tool
meccalecca wrote:
TheWestIsTheBest wrote:

Note I am aware that Tool can get a lot of hate, and personally I feel its more because of their pretentious, quite annoying fan base

Yeah. Their fanbase is notoriously filled with tools, which is sad considering I've known plenty of cool Tool fans. I'm not a huge fan, but I do like them, and they did put on a pretty exciting live show.

Yeah, I haven't had the pleasure of meeting anyone who enjoys their music. And I am a huge fan of their concerts, which sadly I haven't been to any.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 02/04/2016 21:54
  • Post subject:
Out of all the bands I liked when I was 12 years old, I like Tool the best now. Slipknot and System of a Down are still alright, Korn has a few moments of greatness, and the rest of them pretty much suck. But yeah as far as mainstream modern hard rock radio bands go Tool is definitely the best.
  • Visit poster's website
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 02/04/2016 22:41
  • Post subject:
I used to love Tool. They were one of my favorite bands as a teenager, and I actually had the same experience as badseed in that Tool is the only band I was big on back then that I still enjoy (sorry Rise Against, System of a Down, and ...uh... Coldplay). That said, the level to which I enjoy them has definitely declined to the point where I'm not even sure I'm excited for their new album.

I also agree that the hate thrown at them is more for their fan base, as while their music isn't for anyone it's by no means a bunch of prog-rock wankery. I've never been a fan of their first album since I don't think it added much to the type of alternative metal that was being made at the time, but Aenima through 10000 Days are all solid. I go back and forth as to what my favorite is, but it's probably Lateralus. Stinkfist and Vicarious are probably my favorite Tool songs.

The thing that keeps me listening to them these days is the level of humor in their songs, which can be pretty juvenile at times (see: Stinkfist). But if you listen to songs like Hooker With a Penis and Rosetta Stoned and don't see at least a little bit of tongue-in-cheekiness then you need to relax a little.
TheWestIsTheBest

• Posted: 02/04/2016 23:20
  • Post subject:
babyBlueSedan wrote:
I used to love Tool. They were one of my favorite bands as a teenager, and I actually had the same experience as badseed in that Tool is the only band I was big on back then that I still enjoy (sorry Rise Against, System of a Down, and ...uh... Coldplay). That said, the level to which I enjoy them has definitely declined to the point where I'm not even sure I'm excited for their new album.

I also agree that the hate thrown at them is more for their fan base, as while their music isn't for anyone it's by no means a bunch of prog-rock wankery. I've never been a fan of their first album since I don't think it added much to the type of alternative metal that was being made at the time, but Aenima through 10000 Days are all solid. I go back and forth as to what my favorite is, but it's probably Lateralus. Stinkfist and Vicarious are probably my favorite Tool songs.

The thing that keeps me listening to them these days is the level of humor in their songs, which can be pretty juvenile at times (see: Stinkfist). But if you listen to songs like Hooker With a Penis and Rosetta Stoned and don't see at least a little bit of tongue-in-cheekiness then you need to relax a little.

Stinkfist is probably my favorite song of theirs as well. I love Keenan's sense of humor, through his lyrics, things he says, and how he acts. I find that their fanbase takes them waaaay too seriously despite the humor and satire being right in their face. You mentioned Rosetta and Hooker With a Penis, which especially Rosetta having downright ridiculous lyrics ("after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning") and just the title itself is very tongue in cheek. But even more songs such as "Message to Harry Manback" off Aenima and especially "LAMC" and "Maynards Dick" off Salival. Tool isn't serious all the time and neither should their fans.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 02/05/2016 15:38
  • Post subject:
I still quite like Tool, though amongst that particular era of Alternative Metal they aren’t even my favorite if I had to be assed to narrow something like that down. I much prefer what bands like Helmet, Quicksand, The God Machine, Clockhammer, and others were doing at the time (which outside of Helmet history has forgotten) which I think is because of the more minimized approach these bands had which supported the early alternative metal sounds way better than the progressive lean that Tool had. I mean, yeah, The God Machine also had a progressive/conceptual lean too but I feel it less tedious than some of Tool’s work for some reason. I don’t know. With that said, I still listen to the first three Tool records with plenty of enjoyment.
  • Visit poster's website
kevinweed7

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2016 13:38
  • Post subject:
ool is simply one of the hardest, smartest and most unbelievably epic alternative metal bands of all time.
  • Visit poster's website
denmarkman

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2016 19:19
  • Post subject:
Um, idk how to feel about them tbh. Some of their stuff is cool and I really like Danny Carey (saw him perform live in KC once, actually; he came on stage to play with The Crimson Projekct totally unexpectedly), and I'd definitely like to see them live, but at the same time trying to listen to an entire album of theirs is incredibly nauseating.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2016 19:32
  • Post subject:
I like a few of their songs and this is the only album I've listened to all the way through and all the songs were of good quality/fluid album. There's hits I like a lot better than anything on this album, but I felt this was a decent listen:

10,000 Days by Tool
  • Visit poster's website