2016 Album Listening Club

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 02/05/2016 16:48
  • Post subject: 2016 Album Listening Club
If the mods would be kind enough to sticky this.

Schedule:
2/8 - Tap: Animals by Not Waving
2/15 - Gowi: Douve by Ehnahre
2/22 - dbz: Blood by Paint
2/29 - Satie: Hymn of the Nephilim by Jónó Mí Ló
3/7 - Rocky: Breadwoman & Other Tal...ve Moshier
3/14 - Anti: Nostalgia For Infinity by Sound Of Ceres
3/21 - benpaco: I Don't Think It Is by Say Anything
3/28 - samistake2ice
4/4 - WindowAbove: Imperial by Denzel Curry
4/11 - Skinny: Singulacra by Sophia Loizou
4/18 - meccalecca: Chapters of My Life by Moken
4/25 - Grzywa: Borderlands by Lisa Ullén Quartet
5/2 - noWaxJim: Trés Prècieux Sang by...du Travail
5/9 - jWammo12: Echoes of The Dreamtime...e Richards
5/16 - samistake2ice: Side Pony by Lake Street Dive
5/23 - tap: Ez Mizoku by Foodman
5/30 - dbz: Signals by LOK 03+1
6/6 - Rocky: II by Jean-Michel Blais
6/13 - Gowi: YDBN by Rob Crow's Gloomy Place
6/20 - Skinny: Bes by The Dwarfs of East Agouza
6/27 - imnotanotter: Hong Kong Express ...ng Express
7/4 - CryingGameDahlin: Beyond the Bloo...a Victoria
7/11 -
7/18 -
7/25 -

So the ALC is back! We'll use this thread to sign up for weeks, link to previous threads, etc etc.

For those not familiar with how the ALC works, basically one user picks an album from 2016 that they really love and want people to listen to. They post a thread about it (here's an example) along with their own thoughts about the album. Then, everyone listens to the album throughout the course of that week and discusses it on the thread.

There are no limits on what genre, or whatever, post any album that's come out in 2016. I do have three requests though.

1. Please make it an album that's actually released, not one that leaked and is due out in a month
2. It would be beneficial to everyone here if the album was easily accessible, whether through a streaming service of some kind or something.
3. Please make it an album that everyone hasn't already heard. Use your discretion and common sense, but know that we don't a thread dedicated to the new Kanye album, we'll all be talking about it anyways.

These would help to keep the club going I think and keep people engaged.

We can leave the threads up for a week, two weeks, more, I don't care, whatever people think is reasonable. You don't have to have the album listened to that week, we all get backed up with stuff, so whenever you listen to the album, feel free to post in its thread (we'll keep track of the threads here), but it would be preferable if everyone was listening to the album around the same time span so everyone can discuss it together.

Also, users who would like to go but have not gone yet will get priority in posting order, so if we're two months down the road and one user posted back in February but wants to post again, but another user who hasn't posted also wants to do his/her first post, the second user will get priority. However, people can post multiple times, obviously, we want to keep this going as long as possible.

So that's it! Post here if you're interested, and then we can get things started once someone has an album they'd like to post. We can start this Monday if someone is already ready, or we can wait til another week, whatever you all want.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart

Last edited by RockyRaccoon on 01/16/2017 20:06; edited 45 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 02/05/2016 16:56
  • Post subject:
I'd like to do mine perhaps in the second week of ALC?
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 02/05/2016 16:58
  • Post subject:
I'm interested and could probably write something up for Monday if need be. If literally anyone else wants to go first, go for it. I think I'd ideally like to wait for the first week of March, since February looks to have a couple releases I'm particularly interested in.

Also, not to be an ass by saying this, but maybe we should have restrictions of some kind on a "relevance threshold?" I'm explicitly saying here that I think spending a week of the ALC's time discussing the new Kanye or Animal Collective, two albums we're all likely going to be listening to and discussing all over the forum anyway, might be a bit redundant? But maybe that's just me. I don't care if we decide not to impose those restrictions, and I'd hate to box out users by making a broad like "No Best New Music" rule or something, but I think some consideration could be taken in picking things that aren't the Album of the Now or whatever.

Last edited by Satie on 02/05/2016 17:01; edited 1 time in total
undefined

• Posted: 02/05/2016 17:00
  • Post subject:
Hooray welcome back ALC! I'll take week three I suppose though if someone really wants to go before me I don't mind taking a later slot
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 02/05/2016 17:06
  • Post subject:
I have one that would be ready to go for Monday too if Satie would prefer waiting, just checked and it's up on Spotify. Is there a place I can check to make sure it's available in all markets tho?
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 02/05/2016 17:33
  • Post subject:
I'm tempted to do this just so I can get everyone to listen to the new Brokencyde. Should I do it?
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 02/05/2016 17:33
  • Post subject:
No
Satie

• Posted: 02/05/2016 17:35
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
I'm tempted to do this just so I can get everyone to listen to the new Brokencyde. Should I do it?

It'll help me pad the negative end of my 2016 ratings in my Diary thread, so go ahead.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 02/05/2016 17:35
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:

See, this is why I think guidelines should maybe be enforced for the club. We don't need the kind of "force everyone to listen to Brokencyde!" idea that sets up a poor precedent.
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 02/05/2016 17:37
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
See, this is why I think guidelines should maybe be enforced for the club. We don't need the kind of "force everyone to listen to Brokencyde!" idea that sets up a poor precedent.

To be fair, Charlie actually likes Brokencyde. It's just as inexplicable as people liking indie folk. I'm sure I'll be forced to listen to a Sun Kil Moon album at some point. I might as well be forced to listen to a Brokencyde album.