Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 02/05/2016 17:41
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
To be fair, Charlie actually likes Brokencyde. It's just as inexplicable as people liking indie folk. I'm sure I'll be forced to listen to a Sun Kil Moon album at some point. I might as well be forced to listen to a Brokencyde album.

Surely you jest. But I do think you're correct in that people should be able to have their choice actually be their choice even if it results in a goddamn Brokencyde record listening party
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 02/05/2016 17:42
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
I do think you're correct in that people should be able to have their choice actually be their choice even if it results in a goddamn Brokencyde record listening party

+1
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 02/05/2016 17:43
  • Post subject:
of course self-awareness is also an important character trait
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 02/05/2016 17:44
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
of course self-awareness is also an important character trait

+1+1
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 02/05/2016 17:44
  • Post subject:
Sorry for the trouble, guys.

What I meant to say was, my recs probably would suck considering how out of touch I am with 2016 music, but it still is tempting for me to at least see the recs every week to make me slightly more aware than I am now.

That said, the new Brokencyde currently has a 4.32 on RYM, and I haven't even thrown my own into the mix, so it might be pretty good Razz
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 02/05/2016 17:46
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
Sorry for the trouble, guys.

What I meant to say was, my recs probably would suck considering how out of touch I am with 2016 music, but it still is tempting for me to at least see the recs every week to make me slightly more aware than I am now.

That said, the new Brokencyde currently has a 4.32 on RYM, and I haven't even thrown my own into the mix, so it might be pretty good Razz

The year only just started, and it's a slow time for releases, so it's not like you could be all that out of touch to begin with
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 02/05/2016 18:08
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:

From 5 ratings, 1 of which is a 5 star, 4 of which are 1/2 stars. Weighting system seems a little wrong. Not to include the fact it hasn't actually been released yet.

Charlie I'd like to legitimately ask what you see in them. I'm not even that adverse to crunkcore, Jakewolf is great, Family Force 5 is pretty alright, 3OH!3 has some listenable tracks, I even had a short period where I really liked Breathe Caroline, but I've never gotten them. Is it just that they're generally the most negatively reviewed of the genre? Or the way they've responded to criticism? Or is there actually some quality to their lyrics or music that has some redeeming values that I've not picked up on?

Anyhow, I'd love to actually participate in it this year, been trying to expand my listening horizons more past what I think I'd enjoy into stuff I just don't know about at all.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 02/05/2016 19:13
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:

Also, not to be an ass by saying this, but maybe we should have restrictions of some kind on a "relevance threshold?" I'm explicitly saying here that I think spending a week of the ALC's time discussing the new Kanye or Animal Collective, two albums we're all likely going to be listening to and discussing all over the forum anyway, might be a bit redundant? But maybe that's just me. I don't care if we decide not to impose those restrictions, and I'd hate to box out users by making a broad like "No Best New Music" rule or something, but I think some consideration could be taken in picking things that aren't the Album of the Now or whatever.

Totally agree, and we had a similar rule last time we did it, though it was more a guideline that said "Please make sure the album isn't something we've all already heard". I don't think we'll have an issue with it as long as we have that guideline which I'll put in the OP.

I think we all are aware that the purpose of this is to expose music to people that they might not have heard and talk about it. So we should stay away from really big-name bands.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 02/05/2016 20:26
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Satie wrote:

Also, not to be an ass by saying this, but maybe we should have restrictions of some kind on a "relevance threshold?" I'm explicitly saying here that I think spending a week of the ALC's time discussing the new Kanye or Animal Collective, two albums we're all likely going to be listening to and discussing all over the forum anyway, might be a bit redundant? But maybe that's just me. I don't care if we decide not to impose those restrictions, and I'd hate to box out users by making a broad like "No Best New Music" rule or something, but I think some consideration could be taken in picking things that aren't the Album of the Now or whatever.

Totally agree, and we had a similar rule last time we did it, though it was more a guideline that said "Please make sure the album isn't something we've all already heard". I don't think we'll have an issue with it as long as we have that guideline which I'll put in the OP.

I think we all are aware that the purpose of this is to expose music to people that they might not have heard and talk about it. So we should stay away from really big-name bands.

Agreed. I think this falls under self-awareness
  • Visit poster's website
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 02/06/2016 02:39
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:

Is Roly Porter considered "big name?" Because I would like to host a thread for his new album.
  • Visit poster's website