23%
 23%  [4]
Total Votes : 17

RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2016 05:18
  • Post subject: Good Finds vs Ranking Albums
I almost posted this in Chart Talk, but feel it deserves it's own discussion.

I ran across a couple statements where I was curious if people rank their lists more on "Good Finds" vs truly making an effort to "grade" each album and then listing them according to their grade, highest to lowest. These statements from I probably would have more Beatles in my chart, but wanted to put these more esoteric albums in my chart because everyone knows the Beatles and even though I like them more than these albums, I'd rather give these other albums a chance, to well I only limit it to one album per artist.

I'm curious about this because not only does it effect the site's rankings but also what to expect when looking at others lists and at what rate is one way used more than others.

So what is it, are you inclined more to make your charts based on discoveries/one artist per chart or are you more inclined to rank what's "truly" great in your book, even if that means 1-50 is a Beatles album?

Possibly better definitions of what I mean:

Discovery Method: Yes, you generally rank from high to low ranking, but you still are interested in showing what you've discovered than ranking all albums equally against each other. If that means that you are doing only one album per artist, and if you were doing a grading method it actually would mean you have multiple entries from one artist, you prefer to not rank those albums as such, as to give other artists and those random awesome gems a chance.

Grading Method: This is more or less an attempt at a scientific method approach where you listen to an album, rank it with whatever method you find to be logical to "prove" the quality of the album, and then you rank it according to that grade... even if that means you have lots of albums by the same artist in your chart.

Also, why do you rank the way you rank? Which method is more helpful? Which method is more true to you? Should the main chart be your true rank and then custom charts are discoveries, etc?
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2016 05:35
  • Post subject:
I'm gonna regret wasting this video, but replace "cars" with "charts" and it seems strangely complete.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 02/11/2016 06:31
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
I'm gonna regret wasting this video, but replace "cars" with "charts" and it seems strangely complete.

Link

aaha yes, I love this song. Tigra and Bunny are so cool.

dunno what the op is all about I zoned out halfway through, sorry, leaving.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2016 06:32
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:

Link

ahhahahahhaha
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 02/11/2016 18:53
  • Post subject:
My top list currently is some kind of personal history which also contains a lot of "discoveries" and as such was not based on a scoring systeem, I only tried to stick to the one album per artist rule.
Currently I'm redoing my year and Decades lists where I tried to stick to some kind of scoring system and my plan is to also entend that to my global top 100.
In any case, also with that system, those discoveries come back because they also happen to be my favourite albums. The main difference is that with this system i'm breaking my one album per artist rule in a big way which produces not only many entries by the to-be-expected Beatles but also more personal favorites like Sebadoh.
  • Visit poster's website
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2016 18:55
  • Post subject:
I AM A COMPUTER SCIENTIST. I AM SCIENTIFIC.
  • Visit poster's website
Temporary33

• Posted: 02/11/2016 19:00
  • Post subject:
Neither of these things factor into my chart. I view my chart as something that recommends albums to others so I rank them based on importance/necessity of being spread to other people. I see no point in ranking albums based upon what I enjoy the most because I already do that by supporting and listening to the artist via a variety of methods. However, that doesn't mean my chart isn't composed of albums that are some of the best works I've listened to.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2016 20:29
  • Post subject:
My list is by the Grading Method, although it isn't an exact science. There are objective qualities I listen for in an album...great opening/closing tracks, consistency, diversity of tracks, average quality of tracks, etc. But it's all based on my own subjective interpretation of the music itself.

Either way, my overall chart is my true rank as you call it (though it's always subject to change). And I think overall charts should be that way, and I think discoveries should be for custom charts. I don't like the one album per artist rule for an overall because if I used it, I'd be lying to myself and the BEA community, and I'm not gonna do that.

But any user can do as they wish with their overall.
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 02/11/2016 20:44
  • Post subject:
My chart is far from an exact science. I don't limit myself from the beginning to one album per artist, but it's exceedingly rare for an artist to be good enough to make more than one album worthy of my Top 100 'cause I'm very picky. This thread made me curious about who on my chart has multiple entries, and the answers are Robert Ashley, Basic Channel, and Lawrence Butch Morris (I don't count the Arditti, 'cause in my personal library, those releases are sorted by composer). I wouldn't anticipate that, so maybe I've made an error somewhere. I think the main flaw is that I wasn't really feeling a lot of my favorite formal music when I re-did my chart, so there's gonna need to be an overhaul soon to put a lot of composers on the map who aren't because they had four or five pieces realistically deserving of charting that I couldn't pick between. Albums themselves are evaluated holistically, and I think schema that evaluate albums track by track are completely useless for a lot of the music I like. For example, I wouldn't dock Bach's Musical Offering just because I can't think of any situation where I'd want to listen to that 30 second canon in isolation.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2016 20:59
  • Post subject:
The longer I've stuck around BEA, the more my overall chart skews more in the direction of the Discovery Method. But I think anything that finds its way onto my overall chart is also rated 5 Stars, so it's not like I'm dismissing the Grading Method for the sake of being esoteric. My chart is more of a rotation of albums that I feel have had a major impact on me. I see less of a reason to highlight widely acclaimed records at this point, but still end up with loads of acclaimed records on my chart because their importance to me is so overwhelming that I'd feel wrong to keep them off the chart.
  • Visit poster's website