What's the best concert you've been to and the worst?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Juiceman96

United States

• Posted: 03/13/2016 15:40
  • Post subject:
My favorite concert was seeing The Oh Hellos play at a local bar in San Luis Obispo. To start, the opening band (I can't remember what their name is) was extremely good and were extremely friendly. It took a while for the Oh Hellos to finally come on stage but when they did it was so amazing. The whole stage was filled with energy and everyone was dancing and having a great time. In between songs, the band members would crack jokes and talk to the crowd. They were definitely natural performers and were extremely friendly. They were also just about to release their new album Dear Wormwood so we got to hear a bunch of new songs as well.

My worst concert was a free show at a county fair a couple years ago. The band that played was called Hinder ( a washed-up one hit wonder rock band from the early 2000s) and they were terrible. They were so bad and so loud I could hardly hear anything afterwards. There were uncomfortable metal benches for everyone to sit on and the crowd was mostly filled with 50 year olds wearing leather jackets and skull caps who just weirded me out
  • Visit poster's website
Rhyner
soft silly music is meaningful magical

United States

• Posted: 03/13/2016 16:24
  • Post subject:
I don't like concerts, and I can think of only five that I've been to in my entire life, so this probably isn't the best question for me, but here we go.

The worst concert I've been to was Vampire Weekend. This was in...probably 2010 or thereabouts. I wasn't familiar with the band at the time (and I'm still not, for the most part; this is probably something I should rectify). I was dragged there by a friend of mine because he couldn't get anyone else to go with him. The opening act was this woman who seemed to spend her entire time on stage bragging about how she knew some celebrity, but for some reason she couldn't say the person's name. She kept giving hints of who it was but I had no idea; I'm woefully ignorant of celebrity culture. The friend I went with was confident she was talking about Lindsay Lohan. Who knows. Whatever.

Anyway, Vampire Weekend eventually came on and played their set. It was fine, but like I said, I didn't know the music so it wasn't special to me. And it was in this little venue packed with sweaty smelly people constantly bumping into me. Not my idea of a good time.

The best concert I went to was Jon Schmidt, a pianist. It was in a university auditorium, so I was able to sit in a comfortable chair the whole time. He played pleasant music, and that was that. It was nice.
  • Visit poster's website
ScumBum

• Posted: 03/13/2016 22:59
  • Post subject:
Juiceman96 wrote:
My worst concert was a free show at a county fair a couple years ago. The band that played was called Hinder ( a washed-up one hit wonder rock band from the early 2000s) and they were terrible. They were so bad and so loud I could hardly hear anything afterwards. There were uncomfortable metal benches for everyone to sit on and the crowd was mostly filled with 50 year olds wearing leather jackets and skull caps who just weirded me out

So having 5 top 10 songs on Billboard's Mainstream Rock chart makes a band a one hit wonder, yeah, ok, whatever.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 03/14/2016 15:11
  • Post subject:
ScumBum wrote:
So having 5 top 10 songs on Billboard's Mainstream Rock chart makes a band a one hit wonder, yeah, ok, whatever.

The fact that 99% of people you meet cannot name a Hinder song, or even tell you what they sound like makes them a one hit wonder at best. But it's really no wonder, considering how terrible they were and how poorly received by critics.
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 03/14/2016 15:20
  • Post subject:
charting on the Mainstream Rock chart in this century just means you bothered to go through a major label to form a rock band lol it's hardly an accomplishment
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 03/14/2016 16:07
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
The fact that 99% of people you meet cannot name a Hinder song, or even tell you what they sound like makes them a one hit wonder at best. But it's really no wonder, considering how terrible they were and how poorly received by critics.

I cannot name them, checked out their top hits, and don't even recognize any of them. Sound like discount Creed and that's saying something.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
ScumBum

• Posted: 03/14/2016 16:33
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:

I'm a Hinder fan, who lives in an area where Hinder is still (rightfully) a popular band. So more than 1% of the people I meet can name a Hinder song outside of Get Stoned and Lips Of An Angel, plus they would also know that Hinder has a sound that is along the lines of Buckcherry's. Now I'll let y'all get back on topic.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 03/15/2016 14:25
  • Post subject:
ScumBum wrote:
I'm a Hinder fan, who lives in an area where Hinder is still (rightfully) a popular band. So more than 1% of the people I meet can name a Hinder song outside of Get Stoned and Lips Of An Angel, plus they would also know that Hinder has a sound that is along the lines of Buckcherry's. Now I'll let y'all get back on topic.

Did my anti-Hinder sentiment drive away ScumBum?
  • Visit poster's website
pearljammer13
Young Pilgrim

United States

• Posted: 03/15/2016 17:11
  • Post subject:
Best: Manchester Orchestra/Cage The Elephant. The high energy of Cage The Elephant juxtaposed with the more intense live performance of Manchester Orchestra was perfect. Plus I was on the front rail, the only time I've ever been first row at a concert. The lead singer of Cage The Elephant actually wore my hat for a song. Just a lot of great memories from the show.

The Shins. They played a relatively small club venue in Boston maybe around 2010 or 2011, and the intimate setting was fantastic. Jessica Dobson was a touring guitarist with them at the time and she was a blast to watch as well. James Mercer is a brilliant musician and seeing him live only made me love him more.

Worst: Guns N Roses (Axl Rose and backing band). I think it was '08. My friend couldn't find anyone else who was interested so I went just so he didn't waste the ticket. I wasn't excited about it at all. Axl pulled his normal shit and showed up late, they didn't go on until almost 2 hours after Papa Roach finished (They were actually half way decent even though I don't like their music). And before Papa Roach Skid Row performed. It was just a depressing concert with a bunch of 40 and 50 somethings trying to stay young. And general admission meant everyone had to stand for close to 5 hours before it mercifully ended. And the kicker is the sound was terrible for Axl et al, probably to drown out his beaten up and aging voice.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 03/15/2016 17:57
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
Did my anti-Hinder sentiment drive away ScumBum?

Nope. Not at all.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website