What's the best concert you've been to and the worst?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
humanbean420

Canada

• Posted: 03/06/2016 22:26
  • Post subject: What's the best concert you've been to and the worst?
Title says it all. I'm curious to hear your juicy reviews!

For me, the best I've been to was Arcade Fire back in 2012, I think? It was a free outdoor concert, I was with good friends, we arrived super early and got front row. They sound amazing live and it's such a great feeling to sing along with them. There was something special about that night, we were all excited to be done with school and it was just such a great start for summer.

Worse might have been Die Antwoord 3 years ago at the Métropolis. They are obviously promoting a persona, but it just wasn't done right. Between each song they would freeze and pose for 3 minutes without moving so that everyone could snap pics. The crowd was annoying and they didn't really sound good live, also I was feeling sick.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 03/06/2016 22:59
  • Post subject:
Best show is hard to say... Bone Thugs and Harmony (with the Easy-E hologram) was pretty crazy, as was E-40 with Too $hort. Really intimate show with Colin Meloy was actually fantastic. Arcade Fire put on a damn good show. Black Hippy were cool. Wu-Tang with the ODB hologram... i saw a portion of a Nosaj Thing + Daedelus performance at a club in LA before they carded me and kicked me out. That was great while it lasted. Yeah idk faves are hard.

Worst show ever was like 15 minutes of wandering past Attila's set at Warped Tour. Fucking hell I didn't know music could be that bad
LittleM1971

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/06/2016 23:04
  • Post subject:
The best is really tough to call for me but I'm going to say Ride supported by Slowdive at Cardiff University in 1991 on the Today Forever tour.

The worst was seeing The High at Gloucester guildhall, they came onstage clearly wasted, played awful and the guitarist even threw up on stage.
  • Visit poster's website
humanbean420

Canada

• Posted: 03/06/2016 23:06
  • Post subject:
LittleM1971 wrote:
The worst was seeing The High at Gloucester guildhall, they came onstage clearly wasted, played awful and the guitarist even threw up on stage.

Isn't that terrible?
Something similar happened at Crystal Castles the last time they came to Montréal: the show had to stop after Alice Glass passed out on stage 15 mins in. She was drunk as fuck apparently.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
LittleM1971

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/06/2016 23:19
  • Post subject:
humanbean420 wrote:
Isn't that terrible?
Something similar happened at Crystal Castles the last time they came to Montréal: the show had to stop after Alice Glass passed out on stage 15 mins in. She was drunk as fuck apparently.

It is...I'm all for a bit of excess but when you have people turning up and paying to watch at least be in a reasonable state to play the gig, get totally trashed afterwards by all means.
  • Visit poster's website
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 03/07/2016 02:03
  • Post subject:
The best that I have been to was when I got to see my most favorite singer James Otto on January 31, 2011 at the Cotton Eyed Joe place in Knoxville, TN. Smile Smile Smile

God bless you and him always!!! Smile Smile Smile

Holly

P.S. That was my second time getting to see him. I just pray that it isn't my last because James has not been here since then. Sad Sad Sad

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 03/07/2016 02:30
  • Post subject:
Best is really tough because I've been to all sorts of concerts and there's very different feels to them band by band, you know? Or even just the experiences - David Grisman might not be my favorite musician (probably my favorite bluegrass musician but that's not saying a lot), but getting to ask him questions and meet him after was something really special since I was the only one he took a question from. From a crowd/vibe point of view, it's probably the Menzingers/mewithoutYou/Pianos Become the Teeth show I saw because that crowd was super kind but also really into it and the perfect mix for that sort of music. As far as pure music that's really a tough call, I think Foxing put on maybe the best live show I've ever seen musically but they were opening for TWIABP who did meh at best. I guess for that reason I'd have to go with Dr. Dog and PHOX because both of them absolutely killed it.

As far as worst shows, as far as the experience Nickelback was predictably terrible but then even a little worse, and musically it was a local band called Slowness who make great albums but it's all based on harmonies and they could not hit one, on top of everything being out of tune. At the end of their set they unplugged their guitar with it still plugged in and it made a terrible screeching clanging sound, to which I loudly said "that's the most exciting thing that's happened tonight" and several people around me agreed but told me to hush up about it.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 03/07/2016 02:57
  • Post subject:
Best Concert: Easily Travis Scott! So much energy... I never stopped raging throughout the concert! He's so crazy in person!

Worst: In, like, 8th grade my friend dragged me to some Christian rock concert that I can't remember the band name for the life of me.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 03/07/2016 03:07
  • Post subject:
Best: I've seen some great live acts. I've seen Springsteen, Neil Young, the Stones, and a lot more. But the best ever was in a small club in Anaheim next to Angels Stadium. It was part of an oldies show...it was The Knack. Probably 2001.

The opening acts were Tommy Tutone and Missing Persons. Nothing special by either one, although they were good. But The Knack...I was completely taken by surprise. They came out looking like they had crashed a wedding the night before (they were all wearing tuxedos in various states of disarray) and hadn't slept a single minute. These guys looked beaten. But they had this drummer...he wasn't the original drummer, he was a kid about 20 years old. The drum kit was really low to the ground. And, I will never forget...this kid beat those drums in a way that would have made John Bonham envious. He didn't just play hard...he annihilated this drum kit. There was a tech onstage during the entire show replacing parts as he destroyed them The guy never stopped replacing stands and cymballs and drum heads. Pieces of sticks were flying everywhere...we were ducking them because they were flying into the crowd. And the rest of the band was so into this kid's energy that they were playing like they were teenagers trying to impress a record label and get signed. It was the most powerful, awe inspiring and amazing hour set I have ever seen...and THEN we got "My Sharona" as an encore....the guitar player went off for an at least 5 minute solo that was pure bliss. I know...it was The Knack. But it was stunning, amazing, and unforgettable.

The worst...it's a tie. Way back when, I saw Alice Cooper at McNichols Arena in Denver (long torn down). It was the Alice Cooper Show tour. There was a giant TV screen at center stage, so big that it hid the band. You couldn't see anyone but Alice and the people who came onstage DRESSED AS snakes and spiders. It was so lame. He said at the beginning that it was the last stop on a long tour and that they were tired...and it sounded like it. Excruciatingly bad. Watching Alice Cooper dancing with a girl dressed as a giant spider was hell. I still want my money back.

The other was My Morning Jacket at The Fillmore in Denver about 4 years ago. This was bad simply because the sound at that venue is questionable to begin with, but then you add all of the crap that they inexplicably put onto Jim James' vocals, and I wanted to die. It was awful. I couldn't even recognize a single song. a nasty experience.

And welcome to BEA, Miss Humanbean! Smile
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 03/07/2016 04:46
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:

The other was My Morning Jacket at The Fillmore in Denver about 4 years ago. This was bad simply because the sound at that venue is questionable to begin with, but then you add all of the crap that they inexplicably put onto Jim James' vocals, and I wanted to die. It was awful. I couldn't even recognize a single song. a nasty experience.

Interesting, when I saw them they were just out of place in the lineup at that festival but they still put on a good show. Would've been around the same time, a little after you I think

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website