Sorting by rating is inconsistent

View previous topic :: View next topic
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 03/09/2016 03:47
  • Post subject: Sorting by rating is inconsistent
Not sure if I'll be able to describe this issue completely since it's a little hard to explain but I'll do my best. I was working on a decade chart and to make it a little easier I had sorted all my listened albums by rating. Albums I had rated 90 took up more than one page, and on the first page I saw (as an example) Kendrick Lamar's Section.80. I added it to my chart and then went to the next page of albums and, to my surprise, again saw Section.80 listed. I jumped back and forth between the first and second pages and sometimes the album was on page one, sometimes on page two, sometimes on both and sometimes on neither. This made it difficult to add albums to my chart; because the album would appear twice there was at least one album that wasn't displayed on either screen.

EDIT: if I'm on my "ratings" page this doesn't happen, as far as I can tell. When I saw the issue I was under my collection and had sorted by rating.

I'm no expert but it seems like the list is resorting every time you change pages, with the order being random. Or something like that at least. Would it be possible to enhance the sorting so that when you sorted by rating it would sort by rating, and then amongst albums with the same rating sort by name? That way the order would be predictable so the same album would always appear on the same page.

Another option would be to enhance the CSV option - if I export my ratings I can sort easily, but the issue then is that even if I've filtered my ratings to a certain decade the CSV exports everything, meaning I have to wade through a bunch of stuff I don't want to see. So if the CSV exporting would respect any filters you have set that would also solve the problem.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/09/2016 08:39
  • Post subject: Re: Sorting by rating is inconsistent
babyBlueSedan wrote:
Not sure if I'll be able to describe this issue completely since it's a little hard to explain but I'll do my best. I was working on a decade chart and to make it a little easier I had sorted all my listened albums by rating. Albums I had rated 90 took up more than one page, and on the first page I saw (as an example) Kendrick Lamar's Section.80. I added it to my chart and then went to the next page of albums and, to my surprise, again saw Section.80 listed. I jumped back and forth between the first and second pages and sometimes the album was on page one, sometimes on page two, sometimes on both and sometimes on neither. This made it difficult to add albums to my chart; because the album would appear twice there was at least one album that wasn't displayed on either screen.

EDIT: if I'm on my "ratings" page this doesn't happen, as far as I can tell. When I saw the issue I was under my collection and had sorted by rating.

Hi, apologies, looks like a bug. It looks like the sort order is being forgotten when you page through the list after specifying a sort order. I'll look at fixing that issue.

Quote:
Another option would be to enhance the CSV option - if I export my ratings I can sort easily, but the issue then is that even if I've filtered my ratings to a certain decade the CSV exports everything, meaning I have to wade through a bunch of stuff I don't want to see. So if the CSV exporting would respect any filters you have set that would also solve the problem.

I'll add this to the list as well, but will fix the underlying issue with sorting first.
  • Visit poster's website
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 03/09/2016 14:09
  • Post subject:
Cool, thanks a lot!
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/09/2016 15:32
  • Post subject:
I've just made a fix which should resolve the issue with paging through the list when sorted by rating.
  • Visit poster's website