Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2016 01:37
  • Post subject:
SuedeSwede wrote:
@the diary in general, not been keeping up with it put a quick read over and it's a great start Smile

Thanks! Love your diary!

Embarassed Haha fixed the names -- and btw, I originally discovered GFOTY's music from your charts, so thanks for that! Very Happy
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2016 01:44
  • Post subject:
Have a lot of schoolwork so I probably won't be updating this regularly for a little while.

Been shuffling my reggae and hip-hop libraries over the past few days. Stumbled upon this, which was my absolute favorite song grades 7 through 10. It was on the first album I ever bought, a reggae comp, which I liked so much that I felt little need to bother with any other music at all (see purism vs. tokenism thread Laughing ). Anyway, it still holds a special, sentimental place in my heart:

Link

Released: 1982
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/30/2016 02:18
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
I originally discovered GFOTY's music from your charts, so thanks for that!

ooh, no problem, i'm glad i've gotten more people to check her stuff out Very Happy secret mix is one of my favourite music-things and her music in general (see: bobby, friday night, dog food mix 1/2, don't wanna/let's do it, cake mix, my song) always hits the right spot. so yeah very happy to see you liked her stuff (and seemingly some other PC Music stuff Very Happy Very Happy)

oddly i literally just found out she released an EP tonight.. which is v coincidental
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 04/01/2016 15:31
  • Post subject:
To all you people who think Ultralight Beam is one of Kanye's best songs, Imma let you finish, but this is one of the greatest songs of all-time:

Link

Released: 2004

Seriously though... one of the top 5 GOAT songs imo
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 04/01/2016 16:11
  • Post subject:

Blackstar by David Bowie

Released: 2016
RYM Primary Genres: Art Rock
BEA Rank: #2450 overall & #1 in 2016; RYM Rank: #270 overall & #1 in 2016
First Listen March 31, 2016

I came into this album having become a big fan of Bowie this December and having seen and liked the videos for Blackstar and Lazarus. I also came into it having read some critiques of the album and of the notion that it is jazz-influenced. Blackstar currently has the third-highest average rating of any of his albums on BEA, which in my opinion makes it very overrated here within the context of his discography. In short, I was prepared to pick it apart if need-be. On the contrary, this album really won me over.

The first two singles remain far and away the best and most transcendent tracks here, but the album as a whole is very pleasing and cohesive sonically. This cohesiveness gives it a mesmerizing quality, especially in comparison to some of Bowie's past grab-bag albums. It avoids the common pitfalls of being over-long, over-indulgent, or lacking in variety. The subtlety and power of Bowie's vocal phrasing is especially a treat.

Going back to a running debate about what constitutes innovation and experimentation in music, I would say it's not the super experimental or innovative album that some have described. Instead it strikes me as a rock album at its core, with 'artistic' flourishes grafted on. In that way, it's kind of like Radiohead, except actually good Razz

Sorry for the cheap shot...

Anyway, that's all fine with me, because I like a well-crafted rock album. Now to the debates over influences, some of the tracks do not display clear jazz influence, and seem instead to be jazz-trained musicians inserted into a rock song structure. But to my untrained ear, bona fide jazz influence was apparent at some points on a few tracks. It would certainly take more listening to locate where this is. Finally, the whole Kendrick Lamar thing was blown out of proportion by a lot of people. I think what was meant was more that he was a personal inspiration, as opposed to a musical influence.

To recap, it's definitely not my favorite Bowie album, but it's a very good album nonetheless, and I'll be coming back to it later.

Across 110th Street by Bobby Womack & J.J. Johnson

Released: 1972
RYM Primary Genres: Film Soundtrack, Southern Soul
BEA Rank: #24657 overall & #333 in 1972; RYM Rank: #352 in 19722
First Listen March 31, 2016

This is the third 'blaxploitation' soundtrack I've heard (after Superfly by Curtis Mayfield and Black Dynamite by Adrian Younge, both recommended to soul fans). It's also the fourth Bobby Womack album I've heard (after Fly Me To The Moon, My Prescription, and Communication, all recommended to soul fans). The title track here is a glorious soul earworm with gutsy vocals, excellent instrumentation by Peace*, and hard-hitting lyrics. The rest of the album is fairly strong, alternating between evocative instrumentals by J.J. Johnson & His Orchestra and vocal tracks from Womack. This sequencing is a winning formula and strengthens the overall listening experience. If I had to pick the weakest track, I would choose Hang On In There. Although the album does lose some steam toward the end, it's never any worse than average. I recommend this record to anyone who likes Bobby Womack or blaxploitation soundtracks. And if you like Isaac Hayes or Curtis Mayfield's 'proper' albums, you might like this as well.

*a mysterious band with no RYM page and no credits except with Womack.

Last edited by baystateoftheart on 04/01/2016 22:41; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Allabaster

• Posted: 04/01/2016 19:29
  • Post subject:
Quite the heady brew, that Blackstar. Does the weight of its makers demise detract from or reinforce its flame? I have seen both said, but I have been little able to turn it since that day. I don't mind ghosts, but they are less welcome when their living image is still fresh in my mind.

I cannot say I ever considered the legitimacy of its "jazz influence"... I am intrigued. How would such a question even be answerable by a mere listener and why should its answer concern me?
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 04/01/2016 22:21
  • Post subject:
Allabaster wrote:
I cannot say I ever considered the legitimacy of its "jazz influence"... I am intrigued. How would such a question even be answerable by a mere listener and why should its answer concern me?

Good point. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe it was something the late great Satie (among others) considered significant. The thought being that those who are not well-acquainted with jazz can be too quick to call music jazz-influenced, even when it lacks crucial elements of jazz (e.g. a character of improvisation). But as I said, I'm not very knowledgeable about jazz myself; it's a massive genre and I've only heard about 25 albums so far.
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 04/01/2016 23:50
  • Post subject:
Two first listens while driving, so I won't write too much at this time:

Divers by Joanna Newsom

Released: 2015
RYM Primary Genres: Chamber Folk, Singer/Songwriter
BEA Rank: #1282 overall & #8 in 2015; RYM Rank: #1238 overall & #3 in 2015
First Listen April 1, 2016

This was my first time trying an album by Joanna Newsom all the way through. It was very rewarding, and I'll definitely seek out more from her in the future! Now that I've gotten used to her vocal quirks, I can better appreciate the gorgeous arrangements and intricate lyricism. There's a ton to unpack here with future listens. Next time I'll try to have the lyrics handy.

Super Ape by The Upsetters

Released: 1976
RYM Primary Genres: Dub, Roots Reggae
BEA Rank: #2401 overall & #43 in 1976; RYM Rank: #2272 overall & #35 in 1976
First Listen April 1, 2016

I really like everything I've heard by The Upsetters, but somehow I never got to this before, which is considered by many to be their finest hour and rated as the best dub album ever by RYM's users. My response to hearing the album for the first time: Love

Being inexperienced in the genre (this was roughly my sixth or seventh album heard), I don't have anything intelligent to say about what was so good about the dub here and how it was so good, but I'll be returning to this one for sure!
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2016 00:09
  • Post subject:
Very cool journal. Your approach is great (relistening to albums, your lists, facts (release date, etc) and commentary)

Way deeper into unique/eclectic music than me or at least willing to try it more than me.

Dig it.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2016 01:09
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Very cool journal. Your approach is great (relistening to albums, your lists, facts (release date, etc) and commentary)

Way deeper into unique/eclectic music than me or at least willing to try it more than me.

Dig it.

Thanks so much! I've really appreciated how thorough your re-assessment diaries are, your track-by-track comments, and hearing a musician's perspective on things. Smile