Human Canon Ball

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 05/28/2016 17:07
  • Post subject:
Wow, it's been too long since I updated this. Here's what I've heard in the meantime. I'm probably going to stop including date listened and site ranks in these entries for the sake of convenience, but I'll still do the rest.

Boxer by The National

Released: 2007
RYM Primary Genres: Indie Rock, Post-Punk Revival
Re-Listen

High on my overall chart, and as usual a fantastic listen.

Imperial by Denzel Curry

Released: 2016
RYM Primary Genres: Trap Rap, Southern Hip Hop
First Listen

Good, potent trap album with some commentary mixed in. Very hungry record. The first half is better.

Pink Moon by Nick Drake

Released: 1972
RYM Primary Genres: Contemporary Folk, Singer/Songwriter
First Listen

I liked it a lot, but it didn't have much staying power on the first listen. Will try again.

A Good Night In The Ghetto by Kamaiyah

RYM Primary Genres: West Coast Hip Hop
First Listen

I love the soundscape of this record. G-funk without excessive misogyny is a dream come true. A lot of good songs and a little filler.

In A Silent Way by Miles Davis

Released: 1969
RYM Primary Genres: Jazz Fusion
First Listen

A++ This might become my favorite Miles Davis album.

Malibu by Anderson .Paak

RYM Primary Genres: Neo-Soul, Alternative R&B
First Listen

Very good album, although it becomes a bit repetitive toward the end. As others have mentioned, great for summer listening.

Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth

Released: 1988
RYM Primary Genres: Noise Rock, Alternative Rock
First Listen

The first Sonic Youth album I've heard. I liked it, although I didn't love it. A few phenomenal songs. Kim's vocals are way better than Thurston's, and it would be nice if they were more frequent.

Apocalypse by Thundercat

Released: 2013
RYM Primary Genres: Neo-Soul, Funktronica, Nu Jazz
First Listen

I liked it a lot, but it didn't have much staying power on the first listen. Will try again. [2]

Slime Season 3 by Young Thug

RYM Primary Genres: Trap Rap, Southern Hip Hop
Re-Listen

A fairly hype mixtape that gets better toward the end. I've realized that I much prefer back-loaded albums to front-loaded albums.

Southeastern by Jason Isbell

RYM Primary Genres: Americana, Singer/Songwriter, Contemporary Folk
First Listen

Excellent songwriting and instrumentation, liked the album even better than Something More Than Free.

Midnight Marauders by A Tribe Called Quest

Released: 1993
RYM Primary Genres: East Coast Hip Hop, Jazz Rap, Boom Bap
Re-Listen

High on my overall chart, and as usual a fantastic listen. [2] Played this for someone who doesn't usually listen to hip-hop and wanted to try an album, and I think she liked it.

The Milk-Eyed Mender by Joanna Newsom

Released: 2004
RYM Primary Genres: Contemporary Folk, Singer/Songwriter
First Listen

She then showed me this album, which is quite good! The Roots borrowed the chorus to "Right On" from here.

Darklands by The Jesus And Mary Chain

Released: 1987
RYM Primary Genres: Alternative Rock
Re-Listen

This has been high on my overall, but on this listen it lost a little of its luster. Still good though.

Call Me by Al Green

Released: 1973
RYM Primary Genres: Southern Soul, Soul
First Listen

Very warm, satisfying listen. Contender for his best record.
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 06/01/2016 15:46
  • Post subject:

Chemical Chords by Stereolab

Released: 2008
RYM Primary Genres: Indie Pop, Psychedelic Pop
First Listen

Breezy, joyful, forgettable indie pop music. Some of the uses of organ and strings are really good.

Something Else By The Kinks by The Kinks

Released: 1967
RYM Primary Genres: Pop Rock, Baroque Pop
Re-Listen

There's a bunch of filler here, particularly in the middle, but when this album gets good it gets really good. Not as captivating as the first time, but it goes without saying that "Waterloo Sunset" is a gem.

Souvlaki by Slowdive

Released: 1993
RYM Primary Genres: Dream Pop, Shoegaze
First Listen

Phenomenal, will hear again. A+

First Band On The Moon by The Cardigans

Released: 1996
RYM Primary Genres: Indie Pop, Pop Rock
Re-Listen

This has held up very well to repeat listens and is by far my favorite album of theirs. Something of a concept album about a decaying, unhealthy relationship, but musically portrayed in the most cloying way. I like that sort of dissonance between sound and lyrical themes.

Beat Happening by Beat Happening

Released: 1985
RYM Primary Genres: Twee Pop, Lo-Fi Indie
First Listen

The second album this girl introduced me to. Fun to know someone new with similar tastes to swap recs with irl. Anyway it's a bit of a mixed bag. When it's good, it's beautiful and poignant. When it's bad, it's grating and overly sloppy. Worth a try though.

II by Unknown Mortal Orchestra

RYM Primary Genres: Psychedelic Pop
First Listen

Very good grooves and some good hooks as well. Not quite as strong as Multi-Love, but still fun. Surprised they don't get more recognition.
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 06/06/2016 03:50
  • Post subject:

American Gangster by Jay-Z

Released: 2007
RYM Primary Genres: East Coast Hip Hop
Re-Listen

Jay's flow on this album is very laid back... too laid back. However, the beats are so soulful and do such a good job melding with the vocals to create the title's ambience, so that it is an enjoyable even if not particularly lyrical listen. Probably his fourth best solo album, and the best after his three obvious classics.

Hounds Of Love by Kate Bush

RYM Primary Genres: Art Pop, Progressive Pop
First Listen

"Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)" is an amazing opener, and the rest of the album unfortunately never comes close. There are a number of other good pop songs, but where the 'progressive' elements intrude, they can be irksome or corny.

London Calling by The Clash

Released: 1979
RYM Primary Genres: Punk Rock, New Wave
Re-Listen

The only prior time I listened to this, a long time ago, I don't think I gave it a fair shake. This is largely phenomenal and deserves most of its acclaim! An epic with almost no filler.

Reckoning by R.E.M.

Released: 1984
RYM Primary Genres: Jangle Pop, Alternative Rock
Re-Listen

Very strong, immersive jangly album, not far off from their best work.

The Smiths by The Smiths

Released: 1984
RYM Primary Genres: Jangle Pop, Indie Pop
Re-Listen

This gets better with every listen! It's really clicking and it might be on the way to displacing The Queen Is Dead as my favorite. The lyrics and delivery are incredible, and there are so many catchy sing-along moments too!

Bury Me At Makeout Creek by Mitski

Released: 2014
RYM Primary Genres: Indie Rock
First Listen

Introduced to me by my friend. Fairly pleasant, but didn't make a major impression.

Rich Gang: Tha Tour, Part 1 by Young Th...p; Birdman

Released: 2014
RYM Primary Genres: Southern Hip Hop, Trap Rap, Pop Rap
Re-Listen

Bangers on bangers. This gets off to a tremendous start, but really gets long in the tooth after "Milk Marie." A mediocre overall effort that's frustratingly close to excellent. But because it's a mixtape I can't be too mad about filler/sequencing issues.

Gossamer by Passion Pit

Released: 2012
RYM Primary Genres: Synthpop, Indietronica
Re-Listen

Listening reminded me how great this album really is. One of my all-time favorites.

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West

Released: 2010
RYM Primary Genres: Hip Hop, Pop Rap
Re-Listen

I appreciated this album a lot more as a unified work this time. Indulgence is its strength and weakness. "Blame Game" doesn't deserve to be on here.

Mezzanine by Massive Attack

Released: 1998
RYM Primary Genres: Trip Hop, Downtempo
First Listen

Only the second trip hop album I've heard, after Dummy (on my overall). More sonic variety than Dummy, and more rock influences. Sensational, superior highlights as well. But I rather prefer the atmospheres of the former, and that tips the balance.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 06/06/2016 04:19
  • Post subject:
Cool stuff.

How do you choose... totally random/stuff that peaks interest, or...?
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 06/09/2016 16:27
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Cool stuff.

Thanks. Most of the first listens (those not from friends) are from me working through multiple very long to-listen spreadsheets, sometimes out of order. The re-listens don't have much rhyme or reason - whatever piques my interest.

Now that you're pleased with how the double album rule applied to your 90s chart, are you going to go back and apply it to the others? Also curious to see how your hip-hop chart is coming along Wink
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 06/09/2016 16:58
  • Post subject:

My Favorite Things by John Coltrane

Released: 1961
RYM Primary Genres: Modal Jazz, Post-Bop
First Listen

This started out well and I liked the reinterpretation of the title track. However, the album as a whole felt aimlessly ambling and I didn't connect. But maybe I'll like it more the second time. In any case, my least favorite that I've heard by Coltrane so far.

Cosmo's Factory by Creedence Clearwater Revival

Released: 1970
RYM Primary Genres: Swamp Rock
First Listen

Excellent rock record and clearly their best. So many great songs on here, both previously known and previously unknown.

To Pimp A Butterfly by Kendrick Lamar

Released: 2015
RYM Primary Genres: Conscious Hip Hop, West Coast Hip Hop, Jazz Rap
Re-Listen

An album high on my 2015 chart that I revisited and loved just as much as the prior time. Could do without the fake interview though.

Apocalypse, Girl by Jenny Hval

RYM Primary Genres: Art Pop
Re-Listen

An album high on my 2015 chart that I revisited and loved just as much as the prior time. [2]

Curtis by Curtis Mayfield

Released: 1970
RYM Primary Genres: Chicago Soul, Soul
Re-Listen

Great socially conscious soul album that wasn't quite as good as I hoped this time around, and is roughly his third best.

What's Going On by Marvin Gaye

Released: 1971
RYM Primary Genres: Soul
Re-Listen

Great socially conscious soul album that wasn't quite as good as I hoped this time around, and is roughly his third best. [2]

Hamilton: Original Broadway Cast Record...us Artists

RYM Primary Genres: Show Tunes, Hip Hop
First Listen

Listened to this because a friend put it on during a long drive. I don't really like show tunes, but these might be the best I've heard. Fun for one listen, but not compelling enough to add to my library and chart. Long as hell.

~~~~~~

Next in this diary I'll do something similar to Listmeister's ELO exploration for Stereolab, a group I'm listening to for the first time and one that I think might become a favorite. I've already listened to 2008's Chemical Chords, so now I'm going to go through the other albums and compilations in chronological order. The only major releases I plan to skip are 2000's The First Of The Microbe Hunters and 2010's Not Music, which are considered by many to be unessential, mediocre releases.

I'll keep mixing in random stuff and albums from the RYM canon challenge as I go. This will be the listening order for Stereolab releases:

1. Switched On
2. Peng!
3. Low Fi (EP)
4. The Groop Played "Space Age Batchelor Pad Music"
5. Transient Random-Noise Bursts And Announcements
6. Mars Audiac Quintet
7. Refried Ectoplasm: Switched On, Vol. 2
8. Emperor Tomato Ketchup
9. Dots And Loops
10. Aluminum Tunes: Switched On, Vol. 3
11. Cobra And Phases Group Play Voltage In The Milky Night
12. Sound-Dust
13. Oscillons From The Anti-Sun
14. Instant 0 In The Universe (EP)
15. Margerine Eclipse
16. Fab Four Suture
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 06/10/2016 03:19
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
Cool stuff.

Thanks. Most of the first listens (those not from friends) are from me working through multiple very long to-listen spreadsheets, sometimes out of order. The re-listens don't have much rhyme or reason - whatever piques my interest.

Now that you're pleased with how the double album rule applied to your 90s chart, are you going to go back and apply it to the others? Also curious to see how your hip-hop chart is coming along Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Totally hear you on the massive spreadsheets.

Here's mine: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/...sp=sharing

If you don't mind sharing a view only list with me, I'd love to see it (honestly, I only have like 100 albums that aren't on this site... but helpful for me nonetheless) and then I have different tabs for the decades.

As for double album rule... good question... I haven't played with it yet. The 90s made more sense somehow. I didn't apply that rule to 2000s either. What I did was create a top 10 with that rule and a top 10 without it and then made a decision based on how it "felt". The rule allows for most of those albums to hit my top 10. So I have to decide is it top 10 material or not... and of course a month from now I might disagree with myself. Sorry that was a long explanation for... idk.

As for my rap charts, going through the decades has really helped me to understand what kind of rap I like. I am pretty excited to get to that. I'm almost there! I only have the 2010s left to re-survey/analyze and attempt to throw my prejudices out the window/learn something new.

I have had a hard time getting into Jay-Z and the acclaimed Kendrick Lamar. It's not that I don't see the quality. Jay-Z for example has an A Capella version of some of his albums and I heard some of it and was like, damn... that dude can rap. His rapping is more impressive than his music, and my brain has to meld the rapping and music together, whereas I think those that appreciate rap can do both (focus on rapping OR the music). Anyway... I want that list to be at least 50 albums, so I think I still have a long way to go.

I posted that educate me on rap skits cause those really kill the album for me... the singles are super awesome, but sometimes the whole album loses something with lame skits sometimes. Kill buzz. So enjoying rap at an album level is going to take some time maybe... dunno. At the same time 2001 and Carnival are super solid albums imo.

Sorry... I totally took over your journal. Just got excited talking about it.

Oh - any tips on "understanding" Kendrick Lamar or Jay-Z? Or maybe better way to ask that is what do you like about them?
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 06/18/2016 20:37
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
baystateoftheart wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
Cool stuff.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Totally hear you on the massive spreadsheets.

Here's mine: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/...sp=sharing

If you don't mind sharing a view only list with me, I'd love to see it (honestly, I only have like 100 albums that aren't on this site... but helpful for me nonetheless) and then I have different tabs for the decades.

As for double album rule... good question... I haven't played with it yet. The 90s made more sense somehow. I didn't apply that rule to 2000s either. What I did was create a top 10 with that rule and a top 10 without it and then made a decision based on how it "felt". The rule allows for most of those albums to hit my top 10. So I have to decide is it top 10 material or not... and of course a month from now I might disagree with myself. Sorry that was a long explanation for... idk.

As for my rap charts, going through the decades has really helped me to understand what kind of rap I like. I am pretty excited to get to that. I'm almost there! I only have the 2010s left to re-survey/analyze and attempt to throw my prejudices out the window/learn something new.

I have had a hard time getting into Jay-Z and the acclaimed Kendrick Lamar. It's not that I don't see the quality. Jay-Z for example has an A Capella version of some of his albums and I heard some of it and was like, damn... that dude can rap. His rapping is more impressive than his music, and my brain has to meld the rapping and music together, whereas I think those that appreciate rap can do both (focus on rapping OR the music). Anyway... I want that list to be at least 50 albums, so I think I still have a long way to go.

I posted that educate me on rap skits cause those really kill the album for me... the singles are super awesome, but sometimes the whole album loses something with lame skits sometimes. Kill buzz. So enjoying rap at an album level is going to take some time maybe... dunno. At the same time 2001 and Carnival are super solid albums imo.

Sorry... I totally took over your journal. Just got excited talking about it.

Oh - any tips on "understanding" Kendrick Lamar or Jay-Z? Or maybe better way to ask that is what do you like about them?

Sorry, it's just too sloppy and incomprehensible to share.

Your rap chart has definitely improved. But yeah, Amy Winehouse and The Black Eyed Peas definitely don't belong. Imo hip-hop and r&b don't really belong together as genre tags, and they're often lumped together just because they're both black music.

If you think Jay's beats aren't up to par with his flows, you might like The Grey Album by Danger Mouse. He replaces the beats from The Black Album with instrumentals from The Beatles' The White Album, which turn out really well. It's probably the most famous mashup album ever, and the 10th anniversary remaster is available as a free online file last I checked. The Blueprint, which I recently re-listened to, has the best beat selection of any of his proper albums, so I would check that out too. Doing beats for that album is how Kanye made it big. If you don't like either of these two then Jay's music is probably just not for you. And I would say that in general, don't force yourself to like things. Keep an open mind, but you like what you like, and it doesn't always need an airtight justification. I have no listening tips, just album recs, because liking this music more or less came naturally for me. Kendrick's best album for me is Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City by a mile. I love how it forms a cohesive and autobiographical narrative as a "short film," while exploring social issues and also having some tremendous bangers. The replay value is just off the charts compared to To Pimp A Butterfly (which I also like).
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 06/18/2016 20:45
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:

Sorry, it's just too sloppy and incomprehensible to share.

Your rap chart has definitely improved. But yeah, Amy Winehouse and The Black Eyed Peas definitely don't belong. Imo hip-hop and r&b don't really belong together as genre tags, and they're often lumped together just because they're both black music.

If you think Jay's beats aren't up to par with his flows, you might like The Grey Album by Danger Mouse. He replaces the beats from The Black Album with instrumentals from The Beatles' The White Album, which turn out really well. It's probably the most famous mashup album ever, and the 10th anniversary remaster is available as a free online file last I checked. The Blueprint, which I recently re-listened to, has the best beat selection of any of his proper albums, so I would check that out too. Doing beats for that album is how Kanye made it big. If you don't like either of these two then Jay's music is probably just not for you. And I would say that in general, don't force yourself to like things. Keep an open mind, but you like what you like, and it doesn't always need an airtight justification. I have no listening tips, just album recs, because liking this music more or less came naturally for me. Kendrick's best album for me is Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City by a mile. I love how it forms a cohesive and autobiographical narrative as a "short film," while exploring social issues and also having some tremendous bangers. The replay value is just off the charts compared to To Pimp A Butterfly (which I also like).

Thanks! Your feedback on Jay-Z and Kendrick was super helpful... and I totally forgot about the Grey Album. I remember hearing about it and thinking that'd be interesting, but then never checked it out.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 06/18/2016 21:37
  • Post subject:
It's been a hectic time for me, so I can't write too much or update this diary too often. Here's what I've listened to lately. Also, I saw The National in concert on June 11 (my birthday present to my sister), which was pretty sensational. They rock so much harder live than they do on their albums. I never thought I'd describe them as heavy, face-melting, or awash in feedback, but that's what they were for much of the night. The energy was amazing and I'm lucky to have had the experience. It was only the second concert I've ever been to (The Temptations).

~~~~~

Oh, Inverted World by The Shins

Released: 2001
RYM Primary Genres: Indie Pop
Re-Listen

Excellent album that I had forgotten about. "New Slang" is one of the best songs ever. Grade A.

Invite The Light by DāM-FunK

RYM Primary Genres: Synth Funk
First Listen

Relaxed, infectious album. Captures the spirit of funk by being sufficiently weird and sexual in a way many revivalists aren't. Sadly, a lot of uninspiring material toward the back end.

The Double EP: A Sea Of Split Peas by Courtney Barnett

RYM Primary Genres: Indie Pop, Indie Folk, Singer/Songwriter
First Listen

Fantastic, even better than her 2015 album. "Avant Gardener" is a great song. Grade A.

If You're Feeling Sinister by Belle And Sebastian

Released: 1996
RYM Primary Genres: Chamber Pop, Indie Pop, Twee Pop
First Listen

Really great lyrics and songcraft. Will demand repeat listens to sink in, but I can tell it's overall chart material. Grade A+.

Switched On by Stereolab

Released: 1992 (material originally released in 1991)
RYM Primary Genres: Indie Pop
First Listen

A compilation of their first EPs. This has some gorgeous moments and a great vibe, but there's still room for improvement from these early efforts.

The Blueprint by Jay-Z

Released: 2001
RYM Primary Genres: East Coast Hip Hop
Re-Listen

His best work. The beats are often transcendent, and he brings one of the best flows in rap history to the table with consistency. Grade A.

Rain Dogs by Tom Waits

RYM Primary Genres: Singer/Songwriter, Experimental Rock
First Listen

My first experience with Waits, a very good album front to back. However, I definitely appreciate it more than I like it.

Trouble Will Find Me by The National

RYM Primary Genres: Indie Rock
Re-Listen

Heard this again just before the concert. It's been growing on me each time. It's now basically tied with Alligator for my second favorite of theirs, after Boxer. A stunning depiction of malaise and emotional paralysis.

Peng! by Stereolab

Released: 1992
RYM Primary Genres: Noise Pop, Dream Pop
First Listen

Their debut LP finds them regressing a bit from their 1991 output. Still a lot of good moments, and I like noise pop, but a lot of this noise is uninspired, uninteresting, and overly droning.

Manners by Passion Pit

Released: 2009
RYM Primary Genres: Indietronica, Indie Pop
Re-Listen

There will always be a special place in my heart for Passion Pit. This record is even better than I remember. There are a few weak tracks, but the pop highs are undeniable.

King & Queen by Otis Redding And Carla Thomas

Released: 1967
RYM Primary Genres: Southern Soul, Soul
First Listen

This is a strong album, but it's unfortunately not greater than the sum of its parts. Some weak material and a missed opportunity to make a classic. "Tramp" is the obvious standout.

Evermore: The Art Of Duality by The Underachievers

RYM Primary Genres: Cloud Rap, East Coast Hip Hop, Trap Rap
First Listen

Dope skills, but at this point if you've heard one, you've heard them all. The downfall of this album and their rap careers is an utter lack of variety and innovation.

Low Fi by Stereolab

Released: 1992
RYM Primary Genres: Indie Rock, Noise Pop, Experimental Rock
First Listen

This 25-minute effort is the only Stereolab EP not to get a later compilation release. I've just added it to BEA. Like Peng!, it finds the group in a frustrating holding pattern. The ingredients for brilliance are there, but the compositional ideas are half-baked. In particular, the second half of "(Varoom!)" is very irritating. I don't regret listening, but so far I like it less than anything else from them.

Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys

Released: 1966
RYM Primary Genres: Baroque Pop
Re-Listen

Every time I revisit this album, its perfection bowls me over yet again. My #1 overall.

~~~~~

Stereolab listening project ranking so far, with first impression ratings:

1. Switched On - 75
2. Chemical Chords - 65
3. Peng! - 65
4. Low Fi - 55