SLP #2: aSLPsupreme

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
undefined

• Posted: 04/02/2016 23:03
  • Post subject:
"wow who woulda thought Luke would be such a hopeless romant- WELL I REMEMBER EVERY LITTLE THING.."

nah but seriously mad flow on this thing, and pretty dope song selection as a whole. Somehow evokes nostalgia for a time long before I was born. Good stuff. (But yeah order is clearly v important here. Couldn't have arranged it better myself)
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 04/03/2016 20:41
  • Post subject:
sorry I'm late, just getting around to listening to this now. A very nice mix of songs, but I don't know, outside of Telstar (Joe Meek <3), for the most part I didn't really deeply feel these songs. Not a knock on them in the slightest, but I get this thing that I like to refer to as The Transatlantic Accent Effect, where the conventions of a time I'm so far removed from end up creating this distancing effect from me and the art, where I can appreciate it on a sort of academic level, but it doesn't speak to me on a personal level. There's an arbitrariness to it for sure, and I think it's entirely reasonable for someone to not be affected. but yeah I dunno, hard to exactly articulate what's going on. Because it was sorta broken with Flack and First Aid Kit, but also the context still had me in that academic mode. Though with First Aid Kit, the more contemporary signifiers led to a feeling of impatience that I didn't feel in the others. And Meatloaf definitely is more in conventions I feel some connection to (and in this case it lead to a very strong negative reaction). But yeah I dunno. This is absolutely a strong expression of a clear perspective with a great flow (Heart and Soul into Blue Moon took some work to hear properly, but that was so worth it because it was a great transition), and even if I'm not getting hit with the feels I still found it very beneficial to dive into this. Very good entry in this series right here.
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 04/28/2016 22:26
  • Post subject:
So I knew a chunk of these already but it was nice to hear a different version of How High The Moon and hear a couple tunes here that were new to me. A really cute playlist that I nabbed a couple of for my "while playing Fallout" playlist! Honestly not as much to say here as about most of the other ones outside of it's just generally a cute little thing, there's not much specific that stood out.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 08/20/2016 23:40
  • Post subject:
1. The Tornados - Telstar
The intro was interesting, and then somehow this song became as torterous as "It's a Small World Afterall"

I'm a sucker for these classics... if there was an alternate me, this would basically be my playlist:

2. Les Paul & Mary Ford - How High The Moon
Fantastic combination of smooth female vocals and smooth yet fast guitar playing. Les had quite the unique tone.

3. Billie Holiday (with the Teddy Wilson Orchestra) - What A Little Moonlight Can Do (1935?)
This is easily my favorite track of the playlist. Her earlier recordings are absolutely fantastic (not a fan of her top albums on this site as much as I am of these earlier recordings). I feel there's never been this kind of sass ever recorded before or since. Totally hearing what I love about Motown in this. Roots of Motown imo.

4. Hank Williams - Hey Good Lookin' (1951)
Top 5 country artist for me. Classic song. I think if this guy was going for a career in country today, he'd be laughed at, yet he's far better than anyone I'd care to listen to nowadays.

5. Bea Wain - Heart and Soul (1939?)
Also fantastic classic with the roots to grow into early rock n' roll (chord progression) and then Motown (lyrics). Such a cute ditty.

6. Elvis Presley - Blue Moon
When he hits that high note, I get shivers sometimes.

7. Roberta Flack - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
Fantastic song. I can't tell if I like this version or Cash's better. This has so much more soul to it, while Cash has some kind of dark edge to it. I love the dynamic range in her performance. The slow tempo of the song reflects the feeling of love so well, imo. Quite possibly the greatest love song ever written.

The alternate self would not put these in a list though:
8. First Aid Kit - Emmylou
This really isn't my thing. Idk... don't really have anything to say about it. Kind of a cute love song I suppose.

9. Ella Fitzgerald - How High The Moon
I wish I were more into scat singing. I've always preferred Billie to Ella for some reason.

10. Meat Loaf - Paradise by the Dashboard Light
I get why this aesthetic would be interesting to some, but also not really my thing.
  • Visit poster's website