"Moseme Gol" by Parva
"Strange Walking Man" by Mandrake Paddle Steamer
"In The Trees" by Faze Action
"Wanaoh" by Black Heat
"The Night Before" by Courtney Melody
"Georgia Morning Dew" by Johnny Adams
"Here Comes The Judge" by Pigmeat Markham

---

Alright so Squishy might come through with a piece of beautiful art to accompany this thingy I got here, but for the time being please enjoy my heavily filtered bowl of fruit salad.

Anyway, order is exceptionally important so don't go shufflin goddammit. I started with a cohesive overarching specific theme (very scientific. Had graphs and everything), but eventually I just decided to kinda feel it out, with my only parameters being that the whole thing has to damn well flow and that every song must be, in some way shape or form, dope. I dunno I like it.

Enjoy! please

Last edited by undefined on 04/03/2016 17:22; edited 1 time in total
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 04/03/2016 12:20
  • Post subject:
Listening right now!
  • Visit poster's website
Grzywa

Poland

• Posted: 04/03/2016 17:17
  • Post subject: Re: dividesbySLP (#3)
dividesbyzero wrote:

"Седьмой" by АукцЫон

I'd be pleased to kick off, but somehow I haven't managed to find this. There's one album by АукцЫон on my Spotify and this track is no there.
undefined

• Posted: 04/03/2016 17:23
  • Post subject: Re: dividesbySLP (#3)
Grzywa wrote:
dividesbyzero wrote:

"Седьмой" by АукцЫон

I'd be pleased to kick off, but somehow I haven't managed to find this. There's one album by АукцЫон on my Spotify and this track is no there.

I think spotify has all their stuff listed in English. Updated OP to include that too. (Track is "Seventh")
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 04/03/2016 22:45
  • Post subject:
writing as I go: Yo Tink It Sorf was just awesome, I need to check out that comp. Auktyon had some elements that I couldn't quite connect to, but I love that it switches things up while also feeling like a great follow, and that bit towards the middle where everything cut out except for that little percussive bit was super rad. Marcos Valle is the perfect sort of Sunday chill, hell yeah. There's this mildly distorted quality to the horns that contrasts so nicely with the cleaner sound of everything else when they come in. Parva on now, this is cool and keeps up the trend of pushing on the boundaries of what this mix is while also strengthening a sense of consistency. Like this is way lighter on the ear than anything previous, with the really tiny percussion. And it's coming from a different country and involving different traditions, but still connected to everything with that bass. Mandrake Paddle Streamer comes on and immediately it almost sounds too British to really fit in. Like it's still cool but it felt pretty abrupt like suddenly a giant union jack drops down over the stage of my mind. Faze Action makes more sense to me in the context of the other tracks, and maybe the previous track helped set that up? I dunno, it's pretty chill and seems to be taking influence from outside the borders of the creators' nation in a similar way to the first few tracks here. And it has that groovy bass. but yeah now we're moving into US Funk, which seemed inevitable (and this is a very good thing). Great choice that I'm unfamiliar with (tho I don't exactly have the deepest knowledge), but the woodwinds especially make it feel like it makes a lot of sense in the mix here, aside from bass. And oh why didn't I expect this, that's a great path into Reggae with Courtney Melody. That was cool, tho it did seem a bit weird when we moved back to a more soulful side of US Funk with Johnny Adams. I remember hearing Pigmeat Markum a while ago, glad you put it on here as it seems like quite a historically significant recording with the whole proto-hip hop thing. Makes sense with the funkiness of the whole mix. But yeah, that was great. I'll give it another listen sometime, cause maybe there's something with Mandrake I was missing, like the song was cool but it didn't make sense to me so much in context with everything else. Good listening though, and some things I want to follow up on for sure.
  • Visit poster's website
LoneStarRebel

• Posted: 04/03/2016 23:12
  • Post subject:
A link to "Седьмой" by АукцЫон: https://play.spotify.com/album/6S73t4W5TlYHiIKrJIZ1jb
Don't know how well that'll work for Poland.
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 04/04/2016 02:52
  • Post subject:
This was like a curio cabinet. Every song was really distinct which is a good trait in a mix I think. Razz The "jammier" and more longwinded songs (Aukyton, Faze Action, Black Heat) I wasn't into for the most part, but I was crazy about a lot of these. Parva's vocals fucking slay. The Night before by Courtney Melody was just...just my all around favourite song here. Its perfect. The Johnny Adams song has a poetic sensibility and is really upbeat and beautiful. Pigmeat Markham just really made me grin. XD
undefined

• Posted: 04/05/2016 08:22
  • Post subject:
oh hey thanks for the feedback so far guys. Alex I think I get what you're saying with the bits that sounds jarring, though I don't personally get that... thing is seeing as I kinda just threw this together intuitively I don't think I really know how to deconstruct it like I would a mix assembled by someone else (I think that makes sense?) so idk really what to say beyond "well hey my ears liked it" Laughing. In any case I'm glad you seemed to dig it overall, and if there's anything you want to follow up on hmu and I can link you to some stuff. (Would be happy to send over a copy of that Calypso comp. The one here is probably my fave off of it but the whole thing is really fantastic).

and @Brandon ha I thought you might dig Parva. Good to hear you seemed to like it for the most part as well Smile
Question re: this
BrandonMiaow wrote:
This was like a curio cabinet. Every song was really distinct which is a good trait in a mix I think. Razz

beyond overall song quality, did you think the thing had decent flow from track to track as a cohesive thing rather than just some songs thrown together? That was the real challenge for me. Finding good music is a no-brainer Wink
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 04/05/2016 19:08
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
and @Brandon ha I thought you might dig Parva. Good to hear you seemed to like it for the most part as well Smile
Question re: this beyond overall song quality, did you think the thing had decent flow from track to track as a cohesive thing rather than just some songs thrown together? That was the real challenge for me. Finding good music is a no-brainer Wink

Yeah it was def a cohesive thing, I think. Smile
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 04/05/2016 19:18
  • Post subject:
yeah any interruption sort of thing I mentioned was only in the narrative I was building in my head, this all fit together great and flowed nicely together, some very good intuition there. really dug this one a lot.
  • Visit poster's website