• Posted: 04/07/2016 18:02
  • Post subject:
cool Smile
glad it was a success
andyw110183

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/07/2016 21:07
  • Post subject:
"In the trees" one of my all time favourite techno tracks. I recall Carl Craig playing it on an essential mix a number of years ago.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 04/07/2016 21:20
  • Post subject:
andyw110183 wrote:
"In the trees" one of my all time favourite techno tracks. I recall Carl Craig playing it on an essential mix a number of years ago.

It's so good... I actually first heard it as part of a Frankie Knuckles mix. Have since grown a great fondness for the entire Plans & Design LP which is just so solid (even if nothing is quite "In the Trees" level)
Grzywa

Poland

• Posted: 04/08/2016 12:55
  • Post subject:
Several listens, and I thought of it as a cool soundtrack for a student party in a dorm; varied but consistent.

The first track puts you in this laid-back calypso mood.

Auktyon provides more serious tone, and I like the way their song progresses; guess it's sort of modern art rock.

Back in the party mood with Marcos Valle; time to smoke a joint and relax to Latin American rhythms.

The sound of wah-wah is what links it with the following song by Parva. The vocal makes it sound dramatic up to a point of creepiness; strangely exotic, yet mysteriously beautiful.

Strange Walking Man is indeed a 'forgotten 60s jewel', even if it made me think of Cream a bit and the fade-back inevitably brings back the memory of Strawberry Fields Forever.

Anyway, this is followed by a trippy house number, which shows interesting parallel between 60s psychedelic scene and club music of several decades after...

Please do not get off the dancefloor, just mind the steps: we're getting funky with Black Heat.

OK, time to sit right back and take another hit off a fat one with Courtney Melody's little reggae chant; I always appreciate more soul-infused singing in a reggae track, which

is followed by a real great vocal performance by Johnny Adams, as if taken from the Blues Brothers soundtrack: so many great classic American styles heard in this 3-minute track.

There are certain similarities between the way the playlist starts and ends: spoken word, call-and-response dialogue between the lead and backing vocals, some degree of preaching. And they're both uptempo. Mind you, we've never left the dorm party !

I enjoyed it immensely, took several times to listen and did not read the thread before to keep my private perspective. Great job this one (just like the previous SLP); will be hard to top or even keep up. Can't really tell which one is my favourite, though I'd say Parva's track is the most intriguing. Thanks !
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 04/10/2016 09:52
  • Post subject:
Just want to say before I comment on Tap's SLP that this was great and Parva was my favourite.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 04/11/2016 08:16
  • Post subject:
btw if anyone wants this as download thingy to shove in your iTunes or w/e I can hook you up with a makeshift playlist-disguised-as-album of sorts I threw together because why not. Hmu if interested

Alrighty time to check out what Tap's got going here. Looks fantastic based on what I know...
Grzywa

Poland

• Posted: 04/11/2016 13:15
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
btw if anyone wants this as download thingy to shove in your iTunes or w/e I can hook you up with a makeshift playlist-disguised-as-album of sorts I threw together because why not.

If anyone's interested, here's the link to the playlist on Spotify https://open.spotify.com/user/grzywa80/...ETGD80lk7d

That Parva track still can't get out of my head...
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 04/28/2016 22:26
  • Post subject:
For some reason this is the only SLP that's been giving me problems to listen to. Strangely constant "Can't connect to Spotify" errors trying to listen to it. The result was honestly my giving up after about 10 minutes of fiddling before and that's sort of where I fell out of checking these right as they came out (sorry Gabe and others). Trying to get it now has still been a problem, with it claiming I need flash or any other number of weird things that didn't happen on following/listening to anyone else's SLP. I think it's cursed.

Once I finally got it, I was glad cuz that first tune was probably my favorite on here, honestly. Aukyton sounds like a Tuxedomoon tune spun backwards, in a great way. Honestly though, I found myself get a little disinterested for a bit after that. Strange Walking Man is fine but was the closest to a standout in that ... block I guess? Dunno. The closing 3 tracks were all really great thoguh in really different ways, and all in ways I'm not usually interested in, so I've definitely got a variety of looking to do now thanks to you. Really cool mix of stuff overall, and while it's not all for me, it's a really cool grabbag of sorts.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/21/2016 20:53
  • Post subject:
My fav was definitely "Yo Tink It Sorf", a very righteous, angry song that left me pretty disappointed when I saw it was from a comp and not a regular album by the band (Is that Calypsoul 70 album as good as that song?) Aside from that there weren't many highlights, but also few lowlights. I suppose my least fav were "Moseme Gol", if only for the sound quality which I found too distracting and "In The Trees", which didn't really justify it's length. Most the rest was nice enough I suppose, I particularly enjoyed "Georgia Morning Dew" and "Here Comes The Judge" which is just a whole lot of fun and certainly a hell of a better claim to proto-hip-hop than bloody "Subterranean Homesick Blues".
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 06/22/2016 03:05
  • Post subject:
alelsupreme wrote:
"Here Comes The Judge" which is just a whole lot of fun and certainly a hell of a better claim to proto-hip-hop than bloody "Subterranean Homesick Blues".

oh god people who claim that.... yeah and let's be clear "rapping" as a vocal style goes back a lot farther than either of those but that's something else entirely. In any case yeah that Pigmeat track is pretty foundational but mostly it's just way fun

alelsupreme wrote:
Is that Calypsoul 70 album as good as that song?

I mean, no. It's a really fantastic comp but that song is the clear highlight. Highly recommend the whole thing anyway.

Thanks for checking out the mix even if your response was less "XD" and more ":V" Wink