Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 08/21/2016 00:20
  • Post subject:
1. "Yo Tink It Sorf" by Lancelot Layne
Fantastic almost philosophical discussion of what a ghetto really is. Some people just view poor living circumstances as such. I remember living in Los Angeles and South Centeral/Compton like areas, people were afraid of, yet while meeting people from USC who actually came from that area (not the spoiled brats), they mostly said, it's not a ghetto, people are just poor. Then again, there are some living like the description below.

But I think he nails it well with "A ghetto has to do with a certain physical environment and negative attitude that bring on emotional insecurity. Your very reason to live could be lost and only the survival instinct keep going."

Musically this song wasn't terribly interesting to me, but philosophically, it really got me thinking (I don't think I summarized my thoughts well above).

I like things that make you think and this did a good job at that for me.

2. "Седьмой" ["Seventh'] by АукцЫон [Auktyon]
This is possibly my favorite song on here musically. The bass playing is phenomenal, and that build up and then explosion around 4:40 till the end, I dig.

3. "Mentira" by Marcos Valle
Please pump the funk. Dig it.

4. "Moseme Gol" by Parva
Anybody know what this singing/mixing style of vocals is called prevelent in Middle Eastern/Indian music? Wish the "band" was as well mixed as the vocals. Vocals were quite catchy, but I could tell there was some interesting rhythm stuff going on, but could make out maybe 20% of that.

5. "Strange Walking Man" by Mandrake Paddle Steamer
By far my favorite Beatles song. Totally kidding.
Fantastic psychedelic song. Interesting how it had this separate outro.

6. "In The Trees" by Faze Action
Disco is not dead. DISCO IS LIFE (please tell me you know this reference)
It was ok at first, but I got bored and changed the track at about 5 minutes.

7. "Wanaoh" by Black Heat
Totally dug this at first, but then also got bored with it (sorry, I suck). The turn around was a bit to repetitive and while the rhythm section and flute, and all things going on was kind of interesting, it still was meh to me.

8. "The Night Before" by Courtney Melody
Creepy perv. hehe, jk. It was ok. His voice bordered interesting and captivating and very amateur sounding (in a bad way).

9. "Georgia Morning Dew" by Johnny Adams
I loved the music, but the vocals were distracting somehow... like it belonged on a country track or something, but put over a soulful jam. Idk... maybe I'm just not hearing it "right"... it's me... hahaha.

10. "Here Comes The Judge" by Pigmeat Markham
Anyone remember what song samples this? Cool to hear the original (oh wait... I think it is Big Audio Dynamite). Also everyone knows The Beatles invented rapping.

I was hit with so many angles of awesome... I really don't know which is best. I'm leaning towards the last song.

Thanks Grzywa for the playlist! (https://open.spotify.com/user/grzywa80/...ETGD80lk7d)

Also, very curious to know what your process was on the flow of the tracks (I think you were being sarcastic, but you had graphs? hehe). I think they were all unique, but personally didn't get a flow to them.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 08/21/2016 10:25
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Thanks Grzywa for the playlist! (https://open.spotify.com/user/grzywa80/...ETGD80lk7d)

I mean I'm not Grzywa (last time I checked anyway...) but thanks for giving this a listen! And I'm glad you sorta kinda dug it.

psh of course there were graphs

very detailed ones

Quote:
I think they were all unique, but personally didn't get a flow to them.

That's fair. Yeah idk personally they flowed really well for me. The percussion in the first track had a similar timbre to that of the second, and the beginning of the second is almost purely percussive so I felt that linked them pretty well... after that, it was mostly just a sort of intuitive thing I guess with a vague focus various forms on funkiness (though not really "focus" so much as it just kinda turned out that way while I was sorta just feeling it out). Oh also the guitar tones and psychedelic vibes in the 4th one felt similar to that of the 5th despite being very different songs, and the the more spacey outro for that one felt pretty nice going into the airiness of the following one... but again I mostly just felt it out. I dunno. It flows for me. Everyone hears things differently though. Still thanks for checking it out!
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 08/21/2016 20:37
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
I mean I'm not Grzywa (last time I checked anyway...) but thanks for giving this a listen! And I'm glad you sorta kinda dug it.

psh of course there were graphs

very detailed ones

Quote:
I think they were all unique, but personally didn't get a flow to them.

That's fair. Yeah idk personally they flowed really well for me. The percussion in the first track had a similar timbre to that of the second, and the beginning of the second is almost purely percussive so I felt that linked them pretty well... after that, it was mostly just a sort of intuitive thing I guess with a vague focus various forms on funkiness (though not really "focus" so much as it just kinda turned out that way while I was sorta just feeling it out). Oh also the guitar tones and psychedelic vibes in the 4th one felt similar to that of the 5th despite being very different songs, and the the more spacey outro for that one felt pretty nice going into the airiness of the following one... but again I mostly just felt it out. I dunno. It flows for me. Everyone hears things differently though. Still thanks for checking it out!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh, sorry, wasn't terribly clear.

I meant thanks Grzywa for providing a link to a playlist so I didn't have to hunt things down. (Then again I'm not the most observant... so sorry if you did and I missed it).

And great point... I forgot to thank you for providing an awesome playlist. I was mentally intrigued the whole time. Fantastic journey!

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying it didn't flow at all (it totally had decent flow), I was more or less more interested in understanding what you felt flowed about it since it was a very diverse playlist, and you clearly defined that for us, so much appreciated! I guess I was thrown off by the diversity of it as far as flow goes... but the hell with flow (I mean not really,but just trying to prove a point) as the diversity was probably the strongest part of it. Seriously, thanks for inviting us to explore non-"western music".
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 08/21/2016 20:41
  • Post subject:
Also your playlist was fantastic... I'm just a boring guy who doesn't quite have the capacity just yet to appreciate it.

I think Oasis is the only artist I'm completely convinced is rubbish. (see what I did there... used British words for a British band). The rest actually can have a logical argument from a different perspective that they have some kind of merit to them.

I wanted to show my respect by at least responding with my responses of the songs (totally didn't mean to dis them... my responses generally should be looked at like... dude has no idea what he is talking about Laughing Laughing ).
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 08/21/2016 20:46
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Also your playlist was fantastic... I'm just a boring guy who doesn't quite have the capacity just yet to appreciate it.

I think Oasis is the only artist I'm completely convinced is rubbish. (see what I did there... used British words for a British band). The rest actually can have a logical argument from a different perspective that they have some kind of merit to them.

I wanted to show my respect by at least responding with my responses of the songs (totally didn't mean to dis them... my responses generally should be looked at like... dude has no idea what he is talking about Laughing Laughing ).

Nah no worries I'm just glad you decided to check it out and got something out of it. And bro you don't gotta make all those apologies/"idk what I'm talking about" type stuff for not 100% loving everything. Opinions are way cool and all