BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 08/21/2018 21:11
  • Post subject:
Left Field Classics Edition

Kingdom Come by Sir Lord Baltimore

vs.

Captain Beyond by Captain Beyond

ps. If this cramping your thread we could start a new one or just do it in mine!

ps2. Love to see others participate in this 70s Hard Rock project too.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 08/22/2018 04:50
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:

vs.

ps. If this cramping your thread we could start a new one or just do it in mine!

Indeed very leftfield, I never heard of that band and will listen to it tonight.
No problem in keeping the hardrock thing here Tilly. If people want to join in they’ll find it I guess.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 08/27/2018 20:40
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:

vs.

So I finally listened to both albums which wasn’t too easy because neither of them were available on Apple Music. And especially neither of the two are known at all in Europe although I must admit they deel to have historical value for hardrock especially the first one which indeed has a certain punk feeling wit both feet into Stooges/Mc5 type of music but still takkig it a few steps further in terms of rawness, overdriven guitar feedback and hardrock screaming. All in all an album I appreciate but lacking a bit on the songwriting front.
The second one is a bit more traditional hardrock but I have a big the same feeling with it: fairly good an good enough to include in my year lists but something is missing; in any case not albums I would consider to belong to the seventies hardrock canon: there are much better choices than these; but again maybe i’m missing something because these weren’t really the albums I grew up with.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 09/05/2018 11:19
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
Tilly wrote:

vs.

So I finally listened to both albums which wasn’t too easy because neither of them were available on Apple Music. And especially neither of the two are known at all in Europe although I must admit they deel to have historical value for hardrock especially the first one which indeed has a certain punk feeling wit both feet into Stooges/Mc5 type of music but still takkig it a few steps further in terms of rawness, overdriven guitar feedback and hardrock screaming. All in all an album I appreciate but lacking a bit on the songwriting front.
The second one is a bit more traditional hardrock but I have a big the same feeling with it: fairly good an good enough to include in my year lists but something is missing; in any case not albums I would consider to belong to the seventies hardrock canon: there are much better choices than these; but again maybe i’m missing something because these weren’t really the albums I grew up with.

Yeah. I would have thought the exact same thing a couple of years ago. I probably grew up on the exact same hard rock albums as you. And they were amazin!. The combination of streaming services and small record labels have brought to light a lot of undiscovered gems from the 60s & 70s in all genres.

It takes multiple listens before an album truly can become a part of you. Like those 70s hard rock albums are for us. Stuff like Priest & Rainbow & Sabbath & Zeppelin & AC/DC. BUT, now that I"ve heard this albums countless time in my car I totally have a similar experience with them.

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back on this but between 1990 and 2017.... Well that's enough. lol. But we should get back to this when things get quieter on the site.

Don't give up on these albums. They belong! Wink
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 09/07/2018 20:52
  • Post subject:
Thx Tilly they are both in my top chart of their respectieve year so I’ll certainly come back to them
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 09/16/2018 20:25
  • Post subject: 1982 (3)
And here are some more albums of 1982 I listened to:
- Bad Brains by Bad Brains (nr 14 on the overall BEA top chart of 1982): Notwithstanding its historic value I wasn't too impressed by this album and neither the punk /hardcore tracks neither the reggae tracks sound very inspired however fast/resp lazy they are played. Not an album for my personal top chart
- Combat Rock by The Clash (nr 15): I have to agree with most commentators of this album apart from Should I Stay Or Should I Go and Rock The Casbah (and also Know Your Rights), this is not their best album. But it finally makes its way to my personal top chart just because I like the mentioned tracks.
- Peter Gabriel IV by Peter Gabriel (nr 16): I Have The Touch and Shock The Monkey are the hits but also the rest of this album contains some very good tracks: a keeper.
- Hex Enduction Hour by The Fall (nr 18 ): The Fall have always been a bit of a blind spot for me and from what I already had heard of them was not really completely to my liking but this album hit the spot. This album is just great in its unpredictability.

The next album to listen to is Screaming For Vengeance by Judas Priest.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 09/17/2018 20:36
  • Post subject: 1982 (4)
Three more albums of 1982 I listened to:
- Screaming For Vengeance by Judas Priest (nr 19 o, the BEA overall year chart of 1982): In the past I disliked this band because I mainly knew from their stadion rock of the eighties starting with British Steel and this album is mostly similar except for Electric Eye and Riding On The Wind which I quite like. Sorry Tilly but I don't really like it. I only started appreciating them when I recently listened to some of their seventies albums which were much rawer and guitar based and in fact they only returned to that on their most recent album of this year: Firepower.
- Shoot Out The Lights by Richard & Linda Thompson (nr 20): some of the songs and the guitar playing of Richard Thompson on this album are not bad but overall this album is a bit too clean/poppy/folky for my taste.
- Eye In The Sky by The Alan Parsons Project (nr 21): this album was even cornier than I remember from early memory. Eye In the Sky, the elevator musci of Mammagamma and When I'm Old and Wise are of course not bad but overall this album is just completely dated and horrible in my view.

The next album to listen to is Big Science by Laurie Anderson.
  • Visit poster's website
Sandinistar

United States

• Posted: 09/17/2018 20:56
  • Post subject: Re: 1982 (3)
dihansse wrote:
And here are some more albums of 1982 I listened to:
- Combat Rock by The Clash (nr 15): I have to agree with most commentators of this album apart from Should I Stay Or Should I Go and Rock The Casbah (and also Know Your Rights), this is not their best album. But it finally makes its way to my personal top chart just because I like the mentioned tracks.

This might just be the huge Clash fan that I am, but I feel like of the three songs you listed, "Rock the Casbah" is the only one that could be considered a high point of the album. "Straight to Hell," on the other hand, is almost definitely the best song Joe Strummer ever wrote, and by far the greatest song on the album... But even some of the more ridiculous songs ("Red Angel Dragnet," "Inoculated City") at least have some merits. The band was totally falling apart at the time, and so it's very far from their best work, but it's a hell of a lot more than just "Should I Stay or Should I Go"
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 09/18/2018 20:17
  • Post subject: 1982 (5)
I'm charging on with my conquest of discovering albums of 1982:
- Big Science by Laurie Anderson (nr 22 on the overall BEA top chart of 1982): Oh Superman was one of the strangest hits in Europe but what a nice hit it was. I still like the song and also some of the other songs are not too bad but I suppose the album is a bit too experimental without overall good song quality to make me want to put this album in my personal top chart of the year
- The Lexicon Of Love by ABC (nr 23): I've always had a love/hate relationship with (the hits on) this album. After all these three or four hits are fairly good (especially All of My Heart) but the rest of the album is much more inferior and in that way as an album it doesn't have enough quality for me.
- Milo Goes To College by The Descendents (nr 24): maybe it's because I didn't grow up with this album but to me this is not punk but some juvenile collection of songs.
- Signals by Rush (nr 25): also this album proves my point that I'm not a fan at all of Rush
- Blackout by Scorpions (nr 26): I love their albums of the seventies and in general hate their albums of the eighties but this first album of the eighties is still ok althought there are already some bad omens on it like No One Like You and You Give Me All I Need but overall I like it.
- You Can't Hide Your Love Forever by Orange Juice (nr 27): this album does not just have typical eighties vocals, it has got just utterly bad vocals. I haven't seen album in the upper parts of the BEA charts yet with such bad singing which just destroy the sometimes not bad songs underneath it.
- Too-Rye-Ay by Kevin Rowland & Dexys...ht Runners (nr 28 ): this album contains 4 veeeery good songs, of course the magnificent Come On Eileen but also Celtic Soul Brothers, Jacky Wilson Said and Let's Make This Precious. The thing is there are no other good songs on it but these four are enough to make this a necessary eighties album for my top chart.

The next album to listen to is Glassworks from Philip Glass.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 09/21/2018 20:32
  • Post subject: 1982 (6)
another batch of 1982 albums:
- Glassworks by Philip Glass (nr 30 on the overall BEA top chart of 1982): although one has the impression some of the songs were on other of his albums this is overall one of his good ones. Especially Opening is gorgeous.
- Plastic Surgery Disasters by Dead Kennedys (nr 31): there's only one track to be found on this album which matches the top songs on Fresh Fruit: Moon Over Marin which is really good. Also Halloween is not bad and although there are no real highlights on the rest of the album it receives a selection to my personal top chart of the year.
- Walk Among Us by Misfits (nr 34): also very basic punk with no highlights
- Toto IV by Toto (nr 36): the hits are ok but the rest is very mediocre and dated AOR.
- Ambient 4: On Land by Brian Eno (nr 38 ): another 4 album and this one is so ambient that it already disappears into oblivion.
- A Broken Frame by Depeche Mode (nr 40): Leave In Silence, See You and especially The Meaning Of Love were very good hits and although the rest of the album is pretty forgettable I like it enough to put it in my personal top chart as my personal guilty pleasure.

The next album to listen to is the Generic Flipper album.
  • Visit poster's website