My discoveries per year

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 151, 152, 153  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 04/10/2016 16:28
  • Post subject: My discoveries per year
Well! Here I would like to start with my own long term project taking advantage of the best BEA has to offer: overall charts from people who are as interested in music as I am.
I already have year charts which are based on the albums I already own or know, but there are a lot of them which I haven't listened to yet and which might be worth discovering.
I'd like to do this by going through the overall BEA top lists per year starting in 1963 which is both my year of birth and the year in which I personally think rock music started to become interesting. To keep it a bit varied I will skip through the years in five year periods, ie starting in 1963 then 1968 then 1973 all the way to 2013 and then back to 1964 and so on.
Every year I will start with some stats of my personal chart in comparison to the overall year charts, both top 20 an top 50 and will start to listen to at least the top 20 albums I don't know and I'll hope to give some comments sometimes very short, sometimes a bit longer. I will also update my personal year charts accordingly.
In principle I will use Apple Music to listen to the albums, which I suppose will cover most of the field. If a certain album isn't present in Apple Music, I'll have to skip it.
I will try to listen to all the albums at least once and sometimes twice if I doubt, but I'll skip the really stupid ones (ex a Xmas compilation in 1963) and also other compilations, classical music, jazz and easy listening.
This will be a long term project which means there might be times in which I will stop a bit of course because I don't want be stuck listining to albums of the same year all the time. However I suppose this will take at least a month per year.
I will try to keep it up but please don't be mad if I give up (maybe already after the first year Laughing )

Last edited by dihansse on 04/10/2016 17:37; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 04/10/2016 17:17
  • Post subject: 1963

Ok I'll start with 1963, my birth year with the link to my 1963 year chart:
http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=28423

This is both most difficult and most easy year because at this moment I have only two albums in my personal year chart: 2 of the Beatles: Please Please Me (3) and With The Beatles (5), two of the first albums of this fantastic band (bit of an understatement Very Happy ).
Apart from this there is also a version of the ninth Symphony of Beethoven (19) which is by coincidence my absolute favorite in classical music but isn't really rock music, and a terrible xmas compilation (7) I won't cover. This also goes for the jazz albums on (2) (Cool (9) (12) (13) (17) (18/(20) an easy listening Frank Sinatra on (14). There are also some others on which I have my doubts so I agree there is not a lot left in 1963.
In any case I'll start with The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan by Bob Dylan (1) of which I of course already know a few tracks.
  • Visit poster's website
Allabaster

• Posted: 04/10/2016 18:52
  • Post subject:
Thank you for sharing your explorations. May I suggest, Surfer Girl and In Dreams are nice rock releases from 1963. Also, even if it is not rock music, James Brown's live album is surely beloved by many rock musicians.
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 04/10/2016 19:01
  • Post subject:
Those albums are indeed on my list Alabaster. In my broad definition of Rock music I will include many other genres like funk, blues, soul, etc so James Brown is definitely in.
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 04/10/2016 19:34
  • Post subject:
Interesting idea, I'll no doubt be following this when I try work on the 60's, planning on diving properly into it along with the 50's soon, glad to see you're starting with my favourite Dylan album and one of 2 albums from 1963 on my overall chart, which leads me to recommending...

Death Chants, Breakdowns & Military...John Fahey

• Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 04/10/2016 19:40
  • Post subject:
Thx Patman. I was already wondering about this one because I haven't got a clue what it is. I'll check it out.
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 04/10/2016 19:46
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
Thx Patman. I was already wondering about this one because I haven't got a clue what it is. I'll check it out.

Instrumental folk is the best I can do, someone else may be able to elaborate further and in more detail, but I think that's all you need to know going in, Fahey is something special so it's well worth a listen!

• Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 04/10/2016 20:26
  • Post subject: 1963 (2)
So I already listened to two albums (1963 is flying by Smile )
Freewheelin' Bob Dylan by Bob Dylan (1): I'm not as big as a fan of Bob Dylan as many other people on this site but of course I respect his legacy and like many of his songs not in the least three on this album: Blowin' in the Wind, A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall and Don't Think Twice It's Allright; and partially also Masters of War. The rest of the tracks I didn't really known and to me aren't as good as the already mentioned one, ie very traditional folk and blues. What struck me was the presence of two tracks over 6 minutes: strange for an album of the early 60s. Conclusion : included in my chart of '63 mostly because of the tracks I already knew

Live At The Apollo by James Brown (4): this live album has a certain vibe but not really my cup of tea so I will not include it in my chart.

Next is Sam Cooke.
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/10/2016 20:40
  • Post subject: Re: 1963
dihansse wrote:
terrible xmas compilation (7)

smh
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/10/2016 23:01
  • Post subject:
Really cool idea to do a new discovery for each year. I'll have to add that to my goal list! Too good of an idea for me to not experience myself. Enjoy yours!
  • Visit poster's website