Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 04/27/2021 20:38
  • Post subject: Re: Round 6: 1987
dihansse wrote:

An album on my wishlist:

If'n by fIREHOSE
This band has always been at the background of my memories. They were loved in the Indie circles that I was in at the time, I knew them and even liked some tracks but never really got into them. And the same is true for this album which is much more poppy than their others but still have that freejazzy feeling about them. Sometimes and For The Singer of REM are actually good but the whole album couldn't keep my attention so finally not for my year chart. And btw: I love the Hüsker Dü poster on the album cover.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 04/28/2021 16:43
  • Post subject: Re: Round 6: 1986
Repo wrote:
dihansse wrote:
Repo wrote:
dihansse wrote:

Everybody's calling this a transitional album and I suppose that's what it is,

Not me! 😉

You’re not everybody Razz

Damn straight! lol. To me ( and my friends back in the late 80s/early 90s), this was first part of Sonic Youth's classic trilogy. Evol, Sister & Daydream nation were considered bonafide new classics of College Rock/American Underground. Nothing transitional about it. They had arrived. To me, they had arrived even sooner, but without question Evol was considered 80s American Underground canon.

One of the coolest aspects of Sonic Youth is how diverse their fanbase is, there are so many reasons to like them it seems everyone finds a different one. If you ask what their best period is, there are at least four responses you'll likely get:
1) Their late 80's trilogy (EVOL - Sister - Daydream Nation), the "orthodox" opinion.
2) Daydream Nation plus Goo, almost as popular as the above.
3) Their 90's "accessible" period (Goo - Dirty), nowhere near the previous two, but has a decent following nonetheless.
4) Their early 80's "experimental" period (Sonic Youth the album - Confusion Is Sex - Bad Moon Rising), represented by me and ... well, just me for now.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 04/28/2021 16:54
kokkinos wrote:

One of the coolest aspects of Sonic Youth is how diverse their fanbase is, there are so many reasons to like them it seems everyone finds a different one. If you ask what their best period is, there are at least four responses you'll likely get:
1) Their late 80's trilogy (EVOL - Sister - Daydream Nation), the "orthodox" opinion.
3) Their 90's "accessible" period (Goo - Dirty), nowhere near the previous two, but has a decent following nonetheless.
4) Their early 80's "experimental" period (Sonic Youth the album - Confusion Is Sex - Bad Moon Rising), represented by me and ... well, just me for now.

Laughing

yeah. I'm not aware of that 4th category either. Until now! Get rid of their debut EP & I'm with you too! I really dig both Confusion Is Sex and Bad Moon Rising!
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 04/28/2021 19:59
Repo wrote:
kokkinos wrote:

Laughing

yeah. I'm not aware of that 4th category either. Until now! Get rid of their debut EP & I'm with you too! I really dig both Confusion Is Sex and Bad Moon Rising!

I love nearly all their albums but maybe more a fan of the trilogy although I would add Dirty to that.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 04/28/2021 20:06
  • Post subject: Round 6: 1988
And here are the albums of 1988 I listened to:

An album I already own:

Temple Of Low Men by Crowded House
Two of the tracks on this album are masterpieces of harmonics between the brothers Finn and also two of my all-time favorite songs: Into Temptation and Better Be Home Soon. For the rest not a bad song to be found here with maybe When You Come as the third best. Best described as a near classic and rises from the 13th to the 9th rank.

An album on my wishlist:

House Tornado by Throwing Muses
a bit of a lukewarm feeling about this album however much I like the band and Kristin Hersch which is one of those female songwriters I try to follow in all her incarnations. So just good enough for the 33rd rank.

Last edited by dihansse on 04/29/2021 20:12; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 04/29/2021 20:11
  • Post subject: Round 6: 1989
Two albums of 1989 to end the eighties:

An album I already own:

Puta's Fever by Mano Negra
This is the former band by Manu Chao before he became all polished and smooth. This album is punky and funky at the same and how they manage to mix different styles without losing their own style is magnificent. King Kong Five was the hit in Europe but the whole album is one big hit of music which will you leave with a happy feeling. The album goes from the 21st to the 17th rank on my 1989 year chart.

An album on my wishlist:

The Innocence Mission by The Innocence Mission
In my feeling they haven't succeeded in creating the magic atmosphere they created on their later albums. Not bad and their are sparkles of their talent here but a bit too poppy for me.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 05/05/2021 19:44
  • Post subject: Round 6: 1990
Here are the nineties:

An album I already own:

The House Of Love (The Butterfly Album)...se Of Love
I really loved this album when I bought it in the year it was released and I still do. There is Shine On and I Don't Know Why I Love You but the real highlight is The Beatles And The Stones which starts of very subtly and then moves on to a great easy flowing song. It moves from the 14th to the 12th rank of 1990.

An album on my wishlist:

Up In It by The Afghan Whigs
And I was a fan of The Whigs the moment I bought Gentlemen and I kept following them and Greg Dulli ever since. But I hadn't listened to their first albums and this is their second. As far as that is possible they sound much more unpolished then on Gentlemen and that is both in their favour (rawness and more rawness) and a drawback (the sound quality and the quality of the songs are not completely up to level yet). But still a very fine album with the opener Retarded as the highlight. Immediately enters at the 23rd rank of the year.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 05/06/2021 20:30
  • Post subject: Round 6: 1991
So I will try to listen to a few nineties albums of Mercury thread here but none of the albums in his list of 1991 are already in my year chart so I chose for a mini CD:

An album I already own:

Bittersweet by Green
I think I already referred to Green as one of my hidden gem recs and this EP is one where especially the endearing I'll Have Her is to me very special and one of my favorites of them. But there's also the title track. This album remains steady at rank 20.

And two albums on Mercury's list on my wishlist:

Steady Diet Of Nothing by Fugazi
I mainly like their earlier compilation album 13 Songs which has a certain rawness I don't see on this album and is simply replaced by kind of strings of pamphletic shouts. Not really my thing.

and

Human by Death (Metal)
Also here there is an album by these death metal pioneers I like more, namely Scream Bloody Gore. I don't really like this one, maybe a bit too prog/math and no real songs.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 05/08/2021 16:13
  • Post subject: Round 6: 1992
Two album of 1992:

One I already own also on Merc's list:

Dry by PJ Harvey
I own most of the early PJ Harvey albums but somehow I have never loved her work as much as other similar artists but at least for this first album I was wrong. Again a long time since I listened to this one and I knew Sheela-Na-Gig was good but so are most of the other tracks. They have a rawness that I hadn't yet seen in this album and I like it and it rises from the 75th to the 37th rank.

And finally that Pavement mini-album I already wanted to listen to for a long time:

Watery, Domestic by Pavement
Released between Slanted & Enchanted and Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain and only contains 4 tracks, a few of them also to be found on Quarantine The Past so I already knew them. I can only say that these tracks could well fit on both the albums I mentioned so are very good additions to their songbook and the album enters my 1992 chart at the 26th rank.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 05/09/2021 19:45
  • Post subject: Round 6: 1993
Tw excellent albums of 1993:

An album I already own:

Star by Belly (US)
This band was started by Tanya Donnely after she left Throwing Muses and then the Breeders and to me it has always been a bit underrated because with King and this album they really made a difference. Gepetto and especially Feed The Tree are the stars here but all other tracks are also fine indie fodder. This album rises from the 18th to the 17th rank.

An album on my wishlist:

Fake Train by Unwound
This album has a bit of early Hüsker Dü and of early Nirvana and that's not the worst references. This is just brutal hardcore but right up in my league: I really enjoyed this album. I don't know why Valentine Card/Kantina/were, Are And Was Or Is are viewed as one track. On Apple Music they are viewed as three separate ones and to me they are. This is, of the bands chosen by Mercury, the one I am most keen to discover further. This album rocks and earns its 29th rank of 1993.
  • Visit poster's website