View previous topic :: View next topic
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 11/01/2021 21:18
  • Post subject: Round 7: 2015
And already 2015:

An album I already know/own:

Star Wars by Wilco
A good Wilco album, full stop. It goes from the 23rd to the 25th rank.

An album on my wishlist:

Restarter by Torche
The first few tracks sounded fairly bland but after a while the music was getting better and especially more varied. The best example is the long closing track which builds up to a great finale. The album ends up at the 45th rank.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 11/02/2021 21:14
  • Post subject: Round 7: 2016
2 2016 albums I listened to:

Patch The Sky by Bob Mould
In hindsight this is one of the best latter day albums of Bob Mould just because of the relentless energy it radiated and which brings back the best years of both Hüsker Dü and especially Sugar. Best tracks are difficult to give because they nearly all are. You know what: this album moves up from the 7th to the 3rd rank of the year.

An album on my wishlist:

Lost Time by Tacocat
A girl band with a lot of issues about men and I suppose rightly so. The music itself is ok power rock with lots of weaknesses and some good songs and just good for the 50th rank of the year.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 11/03/2021 21:03
  • Post subject: Round 7: 2017
My last entry of round 7 with these two albums of 2017 I listened to:

An album I already own/know:

What's All The Mumble About by Jacle Bow
Fairly good rock album by a Belgian band which moves from the 40th to the 54th rank.

An album on my wishlist:

Sleeping Through The War by All Them Witches
The first half of the album is not very special with as the sole exception Bruce Lee. The second half is much better not especially because of they're fairly long and hypnotic. Ends up at the 64th rank.

Round 8 coming up.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 11/04/2021 20:11
  • Post subject: Round 8: 1969
So I'm at round 8 where I'll focus again on an album I own (for a change I will each time take the one with the highest original rank but not recently listened to) and an album on my wishlist. I'll start this round with the year 1969.

Led Zeppelin II by Led Zeppelin
One absolute killer song, I think Whole Lotta Love is my favorite all-time Led Zep track, and one which is also a personal favorite, Moby Dick, even with its drum solo which is even extended to an enormous length on my favorite version of this track on The Song Remains The Same. But overall there is not one bad track here and the band goes from very mellow to hard rock here and they do it very well. And it rises from the 3rd to the 1st rank of the year, even before Led Zeppelin (I).

An album on my wishlist:

Grand Funk by Grand Funk Railroad
First say that the drums and the bass on this album are stellar. And oh, I forgot the guitars: especially near the end when the band ends up playing long jammy songs, the guitar playing is also, oh well, stellar. Not all the tracks are memorable but the album still ends up at the 14th rank of the year.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 11/06/2021 19:44
  • Post subject: Round 8: 1970
These are my two choices of 1970 albums:

Loaded by The Velvet Underground
Strange that a VU album only contains two tracks that are widely known. Of course those two tracks are really good with Rock Ann Roll and of course Sweet Jane. The other tracks are much less known but still very much ok and this album rises from the 9th to the 7th rank of the year.

An album of wishlist:

Stephen Stills by Stephen Stills
Of course he's talented having been in CSNY and some of the tracks still sound like his old band. But my general feeling on this album is that the instrumentation is a bit overdone: sometimes too much violins, some times too much organ (why have that long and pointless organ solo on Old Times Good Times when Jimi Hendrix is playing on your song and his guitar solo is nearly hidden) and some times a bit too much of everything. And of course that other guest, Eric Clapton, really shines on Go Back Home. All in all a bit of a mixed bag of an album but still good for the 25th rank
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 11/07/2021 20:15
  • Post subject: Round 8: 1971
And now two albums of 1971 I listened to:

A Nod Is As Good As A Wink... To A Blin...e by Faces
This album is carried by Stay With Me, by far the best Faces track. And overall an enjoyable album, especially where Rod sings the blues. The album climbs from the 30th to the 11th rank.

An album on my wishlist:

Deuce by Rory Gallagher
There is some blistering guitar work to be found here especially on the last track Crest O A Wave. Rory Gallagher albums are mostly not completely worthwile overall, just because of the fact that some of the blues songs are fairly run-of-the-mill but this one, a bit after the demise of Taste, is in any case one of his better ones and good for the 23rd place.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 11/10/2021 20:27
  • Post subject: Round 8: 1972
Two albums of 1972 I listened to:

First my highest ranked not recently listened album I already own:

Transformer by Lou Reed
With killers like Walk On The Wild Side, Vicious, Satellite Of Love ànd the incredibly beautiful Perfect Day all on one album, this can't be anything else than the best Lou Reed album. Not every track is of the same quality but there's enough to be found here to make this one of the greatest classics ever. It climbs from the 12th to the 3rd rank.

Then an album on my wishlist:

Toulouse Street by The Doobie Brothers
Everybody knows Listen To The Music and Jesus Is Just Alright but there's more tracks with that good combination of good harmonics ,some soul spirit and soaring guitar playing. Good for the 24th rank of the year.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 11/10/2021 21:29
  • Post subject:
And two albums of 1973:

For Your Pleasure by Roxy Music
This is for me the best Roxy Music album and just filled with classics, yes even the Bogus Man which is just a freaky jazzy wonder of a song. A real classic and even makes it from the 3rd to the 1st rank.

An album on my wishlist:

Who Do We Think We Are by Deep Purple
A bit snowed under amongst all the classic they released in those days. Apart from My Woman From Tokyo, none of these tracks appear on greatest hits or they best known live albums. But I like it and it immediately goes to the 12th rank of the year.
  • Visit poster's website
Carl21

• Posted: 11/13/2021 20:17
  • Post subject: Re: Round 8: 1970
dihansse wrote:
These are my two choices of 1970 albums:

Loaded by The Velvet Underground
Strange that a VU album only contains two tracks that are widely known. Of course those two tracks are really good with Rock Ann Roll and of course Sweet Jane. The other tracks are much less known but still very much ok and this album rises from the 9th to the 7th rank of the year.

An album of wishlist:

Stephen Stills by Stephen Stills
Of course he's talented having been in CSNY and some of the tracks still sound like his old band. But my general feeling on this album is that the instrumentation is a bit overdone: sometimes too much violins, some times too much organ (why have that long and pointless organ solo on Old Times Good Times when Jimi Hendrix is playing on your song and his guitar solo is nearly hidden) and some times a bit too much of everything. And of course that other guest, Eric Clapton, really shines on Go Back Home. All in all a bit of a mixed bag of an album but still good for the 25th rank

The live versions of some tracks from "Loaded" in the 1969 live double album of VU with Lou Reed are to die for with those lengthy jams in the style of "Sister Ray".
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 11/17/2021 21:04
  • Post subject: Round 8: 1974
I've been moving (just to another town in Belgium so I didn't have much time to listen to albums but here are my choices for 1974:

Crime Of The Century by Supertramp
Maybe not very hip but I love the Supertramp of this era and this is their best one just because of the fact that it both contains some hits (with Dreamer being an outstanding song despite being a hit) as more proggy tracks like School, Asylum and the title track, all near-perfect examples of fantastic song-writing. When I look at the music of 1974 and 1975, it's clear that these were the years of noodling but this certainly wasn't the case for this gem. It was already at the first rank of the year and it is now even more firmly so.

An album on my wishlist:

The Man In The Bowler Hat by Stackridge
A Pastoral folkprog album I normally wouldn't touch but of which I appreciate Fundamentally Yours and The Road To Venezuela and the album works fairly well on a general level so all in all good for a 28th rank.
  • Visit poster's website